Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times

Advertisements

People like me demand to know why so many Americans voted for Trump because it is hard to believe what was clearly visible.

"Never has the world beheld such horrific confrontation between the head of state and almost the entire media."

Cite: From article in India.

The Statesman: Trump presidency is already diminished

That article goes on to describe how the world views Trump as a totally ineffective leader. A laughing stock.

As a consequence America itself is viewed negativity.

Think of that.

It matters much what the world thinks of America. Since tourism to America, investment in America, is the greatest export America now has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:16 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
"Pick Your Own". Many years ago on the East End of Long Island Farmers were complaining about the crackdown of illegal farm workers. Their Teenage Kids refused to work the farm during Summer months: work as Camp Counselors or Fast Food (AC). Pick your own. Every been to those? As much as you can carry from Strawberries to Apples to Pumpkins.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know why any of you ever asked in the first place. Haven't you spent at least a few moments with right wingers?

This shouldn't have surprised anyone that has.
Bingo.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
I got conned by Obama and voted for him twice. I supported Bernie and held my nose to vote for Hillary.
But being from NJ it didn't matter because NJ was solidly for her. I used to cringe at the anti Obama rants. I now often cringe at the anti-Trump rants. Half the country (more or less) elected him.
There can't be something wrong with everyone who voted for him. They can't all be unintelligent and uninformed, which is what some liberals and some of the liberal media is saying. And everyone who voted for Obama wasn't a communist or a godless thug or decadent intellectual, which is what some right wingers and the right wing media were (and still are) saying.
It's obvious to me that Hillary lost the election because her campaign was reduced to personal attacks and slogans. And when it came to personal attacks and slogans, Trump was much better at it. She easily could have won with Bernie as her running mate. She probably would have won if she made an effort in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin instead of taking those states for granted. Of course all the candidates are liars and corrupt. But to be fair, Trump hasn't followed through on any of his rediculous rhetoric, just like Obama didn't follow through on most of his progressive rhetoric. But in both cases their political opponents are blinded by their hatred rather than looking at what is actually being done. For Obama there was no closing of Guantanamo, no reductions in mass incarceration, no reform of the federal regulatory agency/industry revolving doors, no improvements in the environment or infrastructure, or the federal minimum wage since July, 2009, or the regulation of Wall Street. The main accomplishment of Obamacare came with a massive gift to the insurance industry, and hands off of the price goughing pharma industry. For Trump, so far, there has been no wall, no repeal of Obamacare, no mass deportations, no discriminatory practices, no accomplishments at all as of yet. Obama turned out to be Bush light. After doing nothing to reduce mass incarcerations or decriminalizing marijuana, he did a hypocritical interview about the prison system as he was leaving office. Trump is on track to be another Dwight Eisenhower who empowered the military industrial complex for 8 years, then made a hypocritical warning about them when he was leaving office. Anyone who believes or trusts these candidates to do what they promised is in for a disappointment. The system is rigged (has been and quite possibly always will be) and the vast majority of us from all political persuasions are suckers.
The closest analogy to the recent political scene that I can think of is the rabid fans at pro wrestling matches. They choose to suspend logic and intelligence in order to root for their guy. In reality, both of the wrestlers have more in common to each other than they do with any of the fans. They are both in the same business and may even work for the same people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Bingo.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-25-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Why would you have not voted for him when the other candiate was against everything you agree with? This makes no sense
Because nobody wanted what crap Hillary was selling.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I think that the biggest reason that people went for Trump was that this country has pretty much ignored the working class for a long time. If you remember back in the 90s (I think) there was so much talk about the country improving efficiency. It was really a drum beat for a while. But increasing efficiency is sort of code for increased mechanization, use of technology and robots and the elimination of jobs. They helped manufacturing to make more widgets with fewer employees, but that meant that people out of work. The country made lip service to "re-training," but that never happened on as large a scale as needed. Then we started all the sending of jobs to other countries, and again, nothing was done to stop this or to help people with the unemployment that resulted. And since the recession of 2007, the country has recovered in some ways, but the working class was largely left out. Look at the stagnation of wages in the last 10 or 20 years. So I think all that frustration and anger over loss of economic power of millions of working class people just had to find an outlet. They found someone that sounded similarly angry, and it just didn't matter if he was smart, ethical, experienced or competent because he seemed to be talking for them, those whom the economy had passed over. In addition, I think a lot of latent racism emerged because it is easier to blame an ethnic group than to blame an economic system that is too complex for most of us to understand. That's my armchair analysis of why people voted for Trump. It may be over generalized, but that's how I look at it. In a way, the politicians on both sides laid the groundwork for this by making people powerless and desperate and by not taking care of the needs of the whole country, but just a few sectors. That anger also boiled up in ascribing all kinds of outlandish claims about Hillary. Not that she was lily white, but in my opinion, she is no worse than most politicians. It was just an outgrowth of all the anger, the conspiracy theories, etc. Never the less, I agree the Democrats did not pick someone really appropriate for the times; they picked Hillary because it was "her turn," and that was a mistake because she carried too much baggage. So people were left seemingly without a viable choice, and went for the person who reflected their anger.

But this doesn't explain why people stick with Trump, despite his obvious inability to govern or lead, his inability to tell the truth, his corruption, etc. I imagine that is at least partly due to people not wanting to admit a mistake, but also that they were painted into a corner, seemingly with no other choice, and perhaps they feel justified in voting with their anger. Personally, I think the whole thing is tragic, and it is tragic that we now have a president that is completely unprepared, both temperamentally and intellectually, for the job. I think in the long run, the country will suffer terribly, including all the folks who voted him in. Perhaps they will suffer most of all.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Russia dropped me off at the polls and asked me to.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Why would asking this question be bad? Isn't that a good thing? Imagine in this hypothetical Democrats are asking why Independents voted for Trump. They'll surely get a variety of answers, and let's just say that the most common one was that they felt Trump cared about the working class. The Democrats can then consider how they can do more to help the working class, and if they start winning election constantly, the Republicans will do the same.

In this theoretical version in which our republic was functioning as it was supposed to, asking why people voted for someone is probably the most sane question anyone could ask.
Except Dems will not support the wwc-as the first w offends them.

They stupidly believe they can ignore the majority by bringing in fringe special interest groups.

They can't. November should have told them that.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:27 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Why would you have not voted for him when the other candiate was against everything you agree with? This makes no sense
Trump lied to get elected. He has no idea how to run a country. His plan for healthcare and tax reform favors the rich.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:27 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_notsquashme456 View Post
I kicked myself when i voted for Obama twice. I would rather put my trust into God than a politician.
I seriously doubt you voted for President Obama let alone "Twice" !

You could have always written in God as a write in candidate instead of having your dubious self doubt now.

Remember when you get to the "pearly gates" God will ask you "If you really would have rather trusted in me why did you vote for Obama instead? Twice ?

Ahem....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies