Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
AS a matter of fact, I've never seen anyone "Sportin' the Robe" at all....but I've seen LOTS of folks "Saggin the Pants" and "Showin' the Cheeks"....in public. What's your point.?
It's just a silly comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
It's just a silly comparison.
You're right....it IS silly. You've convinced me. Now if you can convince the REST of the public, including employers and teachers, that saggy pants don't 'represent' anything beyond a fashion statement, then this thread will no longer be needed.

You don't need to work on ME anymore, because I don't employ anyone.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You're right....it IS silly. You've convinced me. Now if you can convince the REST of the public, including employers and teachers, that saggy pants don't 'represent' anything beyond a fashion statement, then this thread will no longer be needed.

You don't need to work on ME anymore, because I don't employ anyone.
If you really believe that wearing saggy pants is just as disrespectful as wearing a klan robe, I give up.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
If you really believe that wearing saggy pants is just as disrespectful as wearing a klan robe, I give up.
Perhaps we BOTH should call it quits--we just don't seem to be communicating. I don't remember EVER mentioning "wearing a Klan robe" anyway...I only commented on a thread that mentioned a KKK sales outlet.

This thread has gotten WAY out of hand. Saggy pants are seen all OVER the place. I'm 59 years old and I've NEVER seen a KKK robe in my LIFE....sorry, no comparison. Got to run now---good night and good luck to you..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we BOTH should call it quits--we just don't seem to be communicating. I don't remember EVER mentioning "wearing a Klan robe" anyway...I only commented on a thread that mentioned a KKK sales outlet.

This thread has gotten WAY out of hand. Saggy pants are seen all OVER the place. I'm 59 years old and I've NEVER seen a KKK robe in my LIFE....sorry, no comparison. Got to run now---good night and good luck to you..
You are right, let's call it quits. Contrary to how I come across, I appreciate the discussion and exchange of ideas. Good night and good luck to you as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
As other posters have mentioned, I believe that the sense of entitlement among Black Americans runs rampant in our community.
Cali, you are wise beyond your years.
I remember my children's 4th grade teacher (she was African-American) telling me that many of the black children who were such leaders and good students in 4th grade would hit major opposition to these attributes when they hit middle school...from people of their own race.
And she was right.
We all suffer because of this.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 AM

113 posts, read 277,441 times
Default Makes no sense!!

I do not consider myself racist but it is hard for me to understand things from the African American perspective. My parents immigrated to this country with very limited English and we never lived in a ghetto. My Mom settled in Greenwich, CT, worked her ass off to give us the opportunity to attend one of the best public schools in this country and although she struggled, I feel like it was definitely worth it.

I always hear from African Americans that they are "stuck" in the ghetto and can't get out! The whole idea of being "trapped in the ghetto" is ludicrous! I mean, this country is so big, if you are not happy in inner city Chicago, move to Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, do whatever it takes, why not?

I remember having a debate in college with a black kid and his statement was "I live in North Minneapolis, there was a shooting next door last week and I am afraid for my daughter but where else would I go?" DUH! Maybe another state, another city!? I would say 90% of American cities have very little crime problems and schools that are far superior than any ghetto school.

Another thing that bothers me is this so called African American dialect that was created. It goes something like "UH Uh Uh, yeeh yeeh yeeh, I got handle my business, you know what what I am saying?" I don't care what color you are but if you talk this way, you sound really stupid and ignorant and maybe that is the reason why you are not getting a job. I just do not understand how people can have such low self esteem and low standards.

It seems to me that many African Americans think that they are making a point by talking loud, acting stupid, sounding ignorant, there is absolutely no point being made at all. Society has very little tolerance for this kind of behavior. I am not sure if this "culture of ignorance" was created as a response to the so called "oppression" but it is absolutely self destructive.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 AM

113 posts, read 277,441 times
Quote:
Saggy pants to me represent a person with a very low IQ, low self esteem and an obvious inclination to do illegal things. If this is the way you present yourself, how can you possibly expect any kind of respect?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM

116 posts, read 436,812 times
Default Black people have a higher percentage of people who lack common sense

I come in contact with many high quality African Americans. So many that are smart, hard working, efficent, logical and impressive. But as a percentage of the total population they are small. It seems like a good percentage of African Americans lack common sense in how they carry themselves and deal with the challenges of modern living. When I hear someone yelling and screaming and carrying on- most of the time I turn towards them and it is a Black person. When my kids talk about the trouble makers at school, in most cases it is a Black person. It makes it hard for the good Blacks because it makes people look at them with a broad brush.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,740 times
Yeah, can this one get closed, too? Outside of a few meaningful exchanges, this topic has become a dumping ground for one-shot posts full of generalizations and borderline racist opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies