Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Does Trump perceive Germany as a country to conquer and attack? I have to wonder what is behind his objection to Germany - something that has been evident since he was elected. Is he having a delayed reaction to the events of WW2? What is really behind his abnormal attack on Merkel and Germany? Is Germany nothing more than his preferred target today, and in a couple of weeks it will be another country?
This is just my opinion, I think he dislikes Merkel for personal reasons.

Merkel is definitely a Europhile, an internationalist, and a multilateralist. Trump on the other hand is a nationalist,

There’s actually an interesting parallel here with Putin - Merkel is known to have a fairly decent relationship with Putin, another leader who only respects strength.

It seems like he really is not a fan for Merkel, (I am not a fan of her either but for other reasons) He took out his anger on Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Does Trump perceive Germany as a country to conquer and attack? I have to wonder what is behind his objection to Germany - something that has been evident since he was elected. Is he having a delayed reaction to the events of WW2? What is really behind his abnormal attack on Merkel and Germany? Is Germany nothing more than his preferred target today, and in a couple of weeks it will be another country?
This is not an answer, but a deflection. I will repeat my question. Why is it unreasonable to some Americans for Trump to ask Germany to pay the specific portion of their GDP for their own military protection per the NATO agreement they signed and agreed to?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-30-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
He sure seems to be anti-West and pro-Russia.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
This is not an answer, but a deflection. I will repeat my question. Why is it upsetting to some Americans that Trump is asking Germany to pay the specific portion of their GDP for their own military protection per the NATO agreement they signed and agreed to?
It should be clear by now that people are not upset Trump is asking for 2%, they are upset he has turned our allies against us.

Many US presidents have asked for the same, and in 2014 they agreed a 2% goal should be reached by 2024. Trump does not honor this agreement, and goes on to say NATO is obsolete, and that US may, or may not come to their aid if they are attacked. That is horrible language, and that is why Germany announced US can no longer be trusted.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
I love how the President represented the "America First" perspective in Europe. This is what got him elected. If he went over there and kissed the proverbial Euro trash's collective butts, he'd be panned by his supporters. He told the Euros to start paying their fair share of NATO's expenses instead of spending it on homeless Muslims who should be in Islamic countries.

Eff Europe. America First and Always.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Can someone remind me why Obama's NSA was spying on Merkel, again? No really, I can't remember WHY they were doing it.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:54 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is just my opinion, I think he dislikes Merkel for personal reasons.

Merkel is definitely a Europhile, an internationalist, and a multilateralist. Trump on the other hand is a nationalist,

There’s actually an interesting parallel here with Putin - Merkel is known to have a fairly decent relationship with Putin, another leader who only respects strength.

It seems like he really is not a fan for Merkel, (I am not a fan of her either but for other reasons) He took out his anger on Germany.
I think Trump wants to hold Merkel responsible for ISIS and terrorism, but that view is not supported by history.

The Middle East was destabilized under Bush, Europe has had to deal with the fallout. Merkel has taken the humanitarian view of aiding refugees from the Middle East - someone had to do it. One doesn't have to take too much time to understand that ISIS soldiers and leaders are from all over the world, and that ISIS claimed actions in Europe and the USA are typically committed by home grown radicalized "terrorists". It's almost as though Trump believes that ISIS can be conquered by attacking Germany.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Germans may not be 'evil', but they do appear to be on the side of evil, messed up as they are with their magnanimous show of welcome to ME immigrants of all sort. Just look at the problems they now have by being indiscriminate in whom they allow in.
Yeah, the nerve of them acting like real followers of Jesus and all.

That's some real evil right there.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
I think Trump wants to hold Merkel responsible for ISIS and terrorism, but that view is not supported by history.

The Middle East was destabilized under Bush, Europe has had to deal with the fallout. Merkel has taken the humanitarian view of aiding refugees from the Middle East - someone had to do it. One doesn't have to take too much time to understand that ISIS soldiers and leaders are from all over the world, and that ISIS claimed actions in Europe and the USA are typically committed by home grown radicalized "terrorists". It's almost as though Trump believes that ISIS can be conquered by attacking Germany.
Curious - do you believe the Middle East was stable before Bush?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:

I respect your opinion and it is an interesting opinion. So thank you for sharing. Maybe you are right, what you posted makes sense.

I doubt Trump wants to hold her responsible for ISIS, I think it is something personal. He doesn't like her for personal reasons, maybe because she is a "strong" leader. After all, she was TIME person of the year.

I voted for Trump and I liked him for his book "the art of the deal"; I also completely agree with him when he said, "Iraq war is a big fat mistake." But I do believe Trump has a big ego, I think he should keep his ego in check. I am afraid Trump's lack of clarity on foreign policy may prove catastrophic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies