Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 PM

983 posts, read 738,873 times

Advertisements

Civil War museum closing after asked to remove Confederate flags - NY Daily News

Quote:
A Civil War museum in Georgia is shutting down after officials say they were asked to take down Confederate flags.

The Nash Farm Battlefield in Hampton cited the request from District 2 Commissioner Dee Clemmons as it announced the museum's closing, effective June 1.
I thought the flag was okay so long as it was in museums?

Old 05-26-2017, 12:08 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Not the same the flag wasn't inside the museum but was flying right next to Georgia and Americas flag and from what I can garner was nearly or at the same level. Stop with the fake news and read your own articles. The museum threw a fit that a flag that was outside the building was being forced to be taken down and closed even though nothing inside had been touched. So yes the statement stands keep the confederate stuff in museums.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
I am a little confused. The article says the Commissioner asked that only the outside flag be taken down and placed on the inside.

The museum says they were also asked to stop selling flags. Which the Commish denies.

At any rate, if the museum can only survive selling flags, then go ahead and shut down. Perhaps they were already on the knifes edge of closing, and are using this request as an excuse.

Need a better story on this to really make a call one way or another.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:46 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
A more appropriate museum setting outdoors would be a circle of flagpoles, each with various state and battle flags that were flown on both sides of the war.

No actual battle flag should ever be flown now. They are all cherished artifacts of our past and should be preserved and displayed in good settings that honor the sacrifices that were made under them.

I have no objections to selling a replica battle flag, and I don't care if someone wants to fly one in front of his home. But the war ended, and so did the Confederacy. Flying them in front of public buildings, or in public spaces is wrong.

And worse, it only keeps a chronic wound to our nation from completely healing. Those closest to the wound only remain the most injured by it through their choice.

I'm not criticizing the museum, as I've never been in it. Any historical museums reason for being is to offer the living a reflection of the lives, the events, and the places that existed in the past.

Artifacts tell greater stories than words can tell, but they are no damned good at telling anything at all about current times. Trying to intermingle past and present only corrupts both and creates lies about each.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
They should ban the Democratic Party.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:36 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They should ban the Democratic Party.
Well the South did ban the Democratic Party after Johnson passed the Civil Rights bill and Southern whites became Republicans afterwards.
I guess bigotry really doesn't know any party affliation huh ?

Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well the South did ban the Democratic Party after Johnson passed the Civil Rights bill and Southern whites became Republicans afterwards.
I guess bigotry really doesn't know any party affliation huh ?
Using your logic, the South rejoined America after the Civil War, so why hide history?

Old 05-26-2017, 04:51 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Civil War museum closing after asked to remove Confederate flags - NY Daily News

I thought the flag was okay so long as it was in museums?
Me, Josey Wales and the boys will be riding down tommorrow to set things a right.

Those red legs have gone too far this time.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Using your logic, the South rejoined America after the Civil War, so why hide history?
No one is trying to hide history.

But flying the battle flag of secessionists alongside the stars and stripes is ridiculous. Flag belongs inside the museum.

As to the south rejoining America after the Civil War, it is a process.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
This probably will not stop until NASCAR, bluegrass and country music and grits are banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies