Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Another fool who sees fit to lecture how others should spend money.

Kind of like that Bono guy from some band called U2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
I'm open to the idea, but that means the vast majority of the safety nets and hand outs need to go away. Housing assistance, food stamps, day care programs and many tax deductions.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I'm open to the idea, but that means the vast majority of the safety nets and hand outs need to go away. Housing assistance, food stamps, day care programs and many tax deductions.
Well of course. why would they remain? But even then its not quite there yet. We need high unemployment before I would think it was reasonable. But I think thats inevitable.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:33 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
I thought the more wealthy someone gets the more conservative they become. That's what a lot of right wing posters here claim in order to try and convince people their views are sane and rational. I guess Mr. Zuckerberg didn't get the memo.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gave the commencement address at Harvard for the Class of 2017, where he suggested a Universal Basic Income, meaning free money for everyone, so they could be creative and pursue their dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHeggQFpYA
Wow -- this is the first time I've ever had a positive thought about Zuckerberg. Universal basic income is a great idea.

It means working people aren't penalized for working; we get the same payments as the parasites, and people have to do something productive if they want children because UBI is just enough to cover an adult.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's inevitable. There simply will not be enough labor to go around. Even skilled labor is in danger of being eliminated by automation. Today, a client paid me $300 for ten minutes of work. I harbor no illusions about the future of my field. Software practically does my job for me. In a few years' time, it WILL do my job, and I'm an educated professional with real skills.
Isn't it interesting, then, that our government has allowed us to be flooded with millions of mostly low-skilled immigrants with this automation on the horizon?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Wow -- this is the first time I've ever had a positive thought about Zuckerberg. Universal basic income is a great idea.

It means working people aren't penalized for working; we get the same payments as the parasites, and people have to do something productive if they want children because UBI is just enough to cover an adult.
But wouldn't kids also get it? So a single mom could double her family income by having a baby.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Theres another side to this people have not considered. A basic income would mean that people could pursue starting their own businesses without fear of being homeless, and broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
But wouldn't kids also get it? So a single mom could double her family income by having a baby.
Depends on how its set up. Some people say that children would only get a smaller portion in order to avoid that exact scenario. But even so-Kids are a major expense, and a huge time investment.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:31 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Theres another side to this people have not considered. A basic income would mean that people could pursue starting their own businesses without fear of being homeless, and broke.
That's what Zuckerberg said, but how many people are in that category? How many people would have started a successful business but for the lack of a small monthly income to live on? We're talking about a tiny fraction of the population.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That's what Zuckerberg said, but how many people are in that category? How many people would have started a successful business but for the lack of a small monthly income to live on? We're talking about a tiny fraction of the population.
Honestly, I would consider starting my own trucking company rather than driving for someone else, or being an owner-operator for my current company if there were a UBI, but since there isn't one now, my risk aversion keeps me a company driver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies