Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times

Advertisements

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu's recent race relations speech, much like Lincoln's famed 1860 Cooper Union speech, apparently has elevated Landrieu to the status as contender for the 2020 Democratic Party nomination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Union_speech

<<
These are hard days of coarse language — of tweets and catcalls that appeal to the worst in us, not the best. Maybe that’s why a big, sweeping, old-fashioned speech delivered in New Orleans on Friday made such an impression on me. It was a reprieve. It was an antidote.

But it also addressed matters that are forever tripping us up — race, history, healing — better than anything I’ve heard or read in a long time. It was the masterpiece we needed at the moment we needed it, and I fear that it was lost in the brutal whirl of news these days. It shouldn’t be....

Our country’s leader was denied even a cameo. But he was most certainly present in Landrieu’s warnings about holding on to any “false narrative” and his plea that we not “marinate in historical denial.” This was a speech about facing and owning the truth.

It cut straight to the heart of things, making the case against monuments that glorify the Confederacy by asking us to consider them “from the perspective of an African-American mother or father trying to explain to their fifth-grade daughter” why a statue of the most famous Confederate general occupied such a lofty perch above the city.

“Can you look into that young girl’s eyes and convince her that Robert E. Lee is there to encourage her?” Landrieu said. “Do you think she will feel inspired — and hopeful — by that story? Do these monuments help her see a future with limitless potential?”

He then put her experience in a larger context. “Have you ever thought that if her potential is limited, yours and mine are, too?”>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/o...or-speech.html

The last two sentences invoke the spirit of Texan Lyndon Johnson when he campaigned throughout the South stating that passage of the Civil Rights Act was the pathway to the future for the South.

Lyndon B. Johnson: Voting Rights Act Address

Johnson realized that a land of discrimination as evidenced by Jim Crow laws was becoming an outlaw (read "The Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson" by Eric Goldman) as globalization took hold after WWII, and exerted his immense legislative skill into the passage of a tough Civil Rights bill. Is the time right to reject the public glorification on the Confederacy in the South, and all of the political views that accompany this glorification, just as the time was right in 1964 to end Jim Crow laws?

<< In December 1964 the Court decided Katzenbach v. McClung and Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States, upholding Title II [of the Civil Rights Act of 1964] as a valid exercise of Congress’s commerce power. In the years since, the act has been a remarkable success. Its acceptance in the South was surprisingly quick and widespread. In a stroke, the act demolished the rickety but persistent foundation for segregation and Jim Crow. Title II reached far into the daily lives of southerners, creating an unprecedented level of personal mingling between the races and making integration a fact of daily life. Title VII, meanwhile, has vastly reduced workplace discrimination, through the efforts of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Although years of toil, struggle, and bloodshed still lay ahead, the 1964 law dealt a major blow to the system of segregation. The past 50 years of American history are almost unimaginable without it.>>

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...cy-for/358630/

So Landrieu's speech becomes a rallying cry as the Republican Party through gerrymandering and limits on voting rights once again attempts to minimize along racial lines the power of the ballot box along racial lines.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ess/100855582/

Here's the text of his heralded speech discussing race relations in 21st century America and defending the removal of Confederate statues from prominent locations in New Orleans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/o...ript.html?_r=1

Would a President Landrieu finally end the Civil War, much as Lincoln's election was the catalyst for the outbreak of the Civil War?

<<
I urge you to read Landrieu's speech online to appreciate its poetry and power. What most impressed me is that, like many great leaders, Landrieu did not cast blame or condemn his political opponents.

Yet he was refreshingly honest about the city's racial history. "New Orleans was America's largest slave market: a port where hundreds of thousand of souls were bought, sold and shipped up the Mississippi River to lives of forced labor, of misery, of rape, of torture," he said.

He forcefully refuted the ludicrous notion that the statues should remain because they are part of that history. "When people say to me that the monuments are history, well what I just described is real history, as well, and it is the searing truth." That, he said, "begs the question: why there are no slave ship monuments, no prominent markers on public land to remember the lynchings or the slave blocks?"

Landrieu's extensive discussion about why city leaders installed statues and monuments ("to rewrite history and hide the truth, which is that the Confederacy was on the wrong side of humanity") was as powerful and persuasive as anything I've seen on this question.>>

Mayor Mitch Landrieu's speech on race was one for the ages: Opinion | NOLA.com

Last edited by WRnative; 05-27-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:34 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
It'll land him a prominent speaking position at the 2020 DNC convention. I think that's about the extent of it unless he's able to put together a savvy campaign organization like Obama did after his keynote speech brought him recognition. Yet to be seen if ML's got that skill or can find someone who does.

I do agree it was a brilliant and eloquent speech that will be long remembered and lauded.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:37 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
no

democratic party will have to move to the right to win

Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
As an old white guy who voted for President Trump, I say amen brother to this speech. I don't know if he is ready for prime time, but that is certainly no longer a requirement.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
no

democratic party will have to move to the right to win
The Landrieus are a battle-hardened family of conservative Democrats. By attacking racial bigotry with a political nuclear warhead, Landrieu perhaps has earned the ability to be considered seriously for the Democratic Party nomination, even more so than Jimmy Carter a few decades ago.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Taking up the challenge that Landrieu put down to imagine ourselves as a black man at the base of the Lee statue explaining to his daughter why there is such a statue in the first place it should not be a a time of embarrassment and shame but a teaching moment that should serve to remind everyone how far we have come and sadly how far we have yet to go.

As for Landrieu running fro President why not?

Old 05-27-2017, 01:07 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times
Landrieu couldnt even win a seat in Louisiana after this monument crap, his sister Mary Landrieu badly lost her re-election bid in 2014. Cedric Richmond is a black man who represents New Orleans and just won resounding re-election to a fourth term in a majority-black district so he cant win that seat. Landrieu would never win governor or senate, he is a very unpopular politician in the state , his angering whites and mismanagement of the city is a sure fire way to democrat victory. lol

New Orleans is a city in terrible decline, a ton of crime and declining population, its had population loss like a rust belt city, a shell of the population it had in the 1960s. Massive income disparity and a disappearing black middle class. huge race problems. He is the perfect democrat, during most of Mayor Landrieu’s tenure the city was listed as the country’s murder capital and its getting worse.

Yeah if the Democrats are worried about losing the black vote he would be great, blacks usually are usually in the 88-93% percentile for democrats so that vote is really important not to lose.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:04 PM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Save us Landru!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
I read the speech and the best I can say it is that it was more eloquent than the usual identity politics speech, but it was still more of the same identity politics that the Democrats have embraced and can't seem to let go of.

Nowhere in the speech did I detect any recognition of or concern for the descendants of Civil War soldiers. There was no olive branch telling them that their ancestors honorably served the Confederacy and thought they were doing the right thing, but that we know today the cause was wrong. That would have served the healing process. The descendants know that slavery was wrong, but they judge them in the context of the times and not how we know things to be today. Landrieu could have made a real mark for himself had he done that. He'd of elevated himself above the identity politics crowd by speaking to all of his constituents (or would-be constituents if he has designs for higher office). Instead he spoke to only one side.

The other huge miss on his part was in being respectful in the removal process. It would have been far better received had he made sure there were proper homes for the statues before they came down. If he now lets them languish in storage for years it will come back again and again as an issue.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:09 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Ignore the wars, the wholesale robbery of the populace, the debt, the bankrupt redistribution schemes, etc. and focus on race to keep the people divided. Good plan, been working for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies