Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't like it. Children should respect Paul Ryan and the position that he holds. They're too young to hold him in that kind of contempt.

If I found out that my son had done that, I would've been furious. Parents shouldn't be turning their children into little partisans. They're too young for that.

We should be embarrassed that these kids did this. How often do children have a chance to meet the Speaker of the House? SMH
Probably the first time in agreement DD.

Reps.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've been around some extremely gifted 7-8th graders and they generally lack the education and maturity to really grasp some of the major issues. They generally have not had any exposure to economics by that age (as one example) nor have they been exposed to much *hard* history, mostly just US stuff and then just the kids versions.

However, to be fair that describes at least half the posters in the political forum.
I have also spent a lot of time around middle school students who are gifted. My experience is vastly different from yours. Although, the kids I know in middle school are also on a speech and debate team who regularly get to nationals. Perhaps that is the difference.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't like it. Children should respect Paul Ryan and the position that he holds. They're too young to hold him in that kind of contempt.

If I found out that my son had done that, I would've been furious. Parents shouldn't be turning their children into little partisans. They're too young for that.

We should be embarrassed that these kids did this. How often do children have a chance to meet the Speaker of the House? SMH
Why are they too young to have their own opinions?

Kids are a lot smarter and capable than we give them credit for. We have a rule in our house. If you disagree with something we say, you may politely and intelligently discuss why you disagree. If you make a valid, well reasoned argument, we may change our minds. Why do we do this? Because we don't believe that children are inherently unintelligent, stupid or subservient to adults. When you treat children with the respect you afford others, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've been around some extremely gifted 7-8th graders and they generally lack the education and maturity to really grasp some of the major issues. They generally have not had any exposure to economics by that age (as one example) nor have they been exposed to much *hard* history, mostly just US stuff and then just the kids versions.

However, to be fair that describes at least half the posters in the political forum.
Your last statement says it all.

And I want to add...we all are at different stages of comprehension of the issues but all our opinions matter.

And that goes to a 7th and 8 th grader.

Sometimes we get bogged down with our life experiences and our interpretation of history.

Sometimes kids in their simplicity have a view that brings some new aspect.

Of course we wouldn't put a kid in charge...we want someone in office who really knows history, understands the political process, the legal systems in the country. But we screw up and sometimes think that somebody that has a skill as a carpenter is all of a sudden going to be the best car mechanic we have ever had.

I think if you can, spend some time with a young person and talk to them...don't dismiss them. They have ideas based on their life experience, what they have seen and heard or maybe they are just repeating what they have heard and talking to you may make them take pause and consider that there might be other ways to look at things.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:01 AM

29,498 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Is your comprehension off again this morning. To compare a 7 year old to 8th graders is absurd, but you often are a master at absurdity.

Its 8th graders meaning around 13-14 years old. I would hope they have been doing some reading and thinking by this time.

I know I sure was, either BMX Plus, Hot Rod, Popular Mechanics or Penthouse ...at that age I couldn't understand politics or gave a rats ass about it.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:01 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Do you realize that at that age lots of kids are deliberately contrary to their parents??????
They are largely ignorant, and go with whatever is trendy.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Can you tell I like kids -- lol.

I've been so fortunate to have really met so many great young kids over the years.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I know I sure was, either BMX Plus, Hot Rod, Popular Mechanics or Penthouse ...at that age I couldn't understand politics or gave a rats ass about it.
Okay -- but don't suggest everyone is like you. We are all very different.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, I guess you were just too cool to care judging by your snarky eye roll. There will always be kids like you who think its cool to be uninformed.

Luckily, many kids do NOT think this way. They usually become the next generation's leaders and movers and shakers.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Can you tell I like kids -- lol.

I've been so fortunate to have really met so many great young kids over the years.
Same here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies