Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's too bad, I heard that they were doing a lot of reviews in some of the states that had high numbers of recipients, I hope you win your appeal if not, with the medical care you need would it be possible to move to a state with expanded medicaid?
I could only pull off such a move if someone helps me. Even driving to the store is draining. Driving out of town is worse. When I was homeless last year trying to make it to start over I kept getting sick and had trouble driving. My family is toxic and abusive and I have never been able to count on them for anything my whole life. I don't have much of a social life because of my health problems. When I had a home I mostly stayed home. Now I am stressed out. Not used to crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 06:01 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did they shoot each other?
No. One fell from his deer stand, a platform attached to a tree to enable the hunter to spot deer.

Another decided he didn't need to go buy himself a stand, he could build his own. It collapsed.

These were separate cases.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
There are probably 20% in some Clinton-voting areas, too.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
No. One fell from his deer stand, a platform attached to a tree to enable the hunter to spot deer.
I guess you would know about that.
Quote:
Another decided he didn't need to go buy himself a stand, he could build his own. It collapsed.

These were separate cases.
That was your neighbor, right?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I guess you would know about that.

That was your neighbor, right?
Do you have a point?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Problem here with "lifestyle choices" is that it can mean lots of things. I used to work home care cases as a nurse. Had 2 quadriplegic patients who became that was because they elected to go deer hunting. I would call hunting a lifestyle choice as certainly very few people need to do it in order to eat.
They do eat the meat. You realize that, don't you? It means they are buying less (saves on the grocery bill).

Why do you think there is something deranged about hunting? Some people like to fish, too. Do you also find that strange?

There are other ways people become quadriplegic. Auto accidents, diving and skiing accidents. But you obviously just have a problem with hunters and people who live in the country.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
They do eat the meat. You realize that, don't you? It means they are buying less (saves on the grocery bill).

Why do you think there is something deranged about hunting? Some people like to fish, too. Do you also find that strange?

There are other ways people become quadriplegic. Auto accidents, diving and skiing accidents. But you obviously just have a problem with hunters and people who live in the country.
Not really relevant to the point .... point is hunting is a lifestyle choice. If we are going to start separating out disabilities by "choices" people make, a lot more people are going to find their lifestyles come under scrutiny when disability comes up.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Do you have a point?
I think you got my drift. You criticize Trump supporters as being country people who (in your opinion) are uneducated and and like guns and hunting, but you seem to know a lot about that sport.

You're like Obama and his "clinging to guns and religion" remark.

Not all Trump supporters live in the country. Most of my Facebook friends are Trump supporters, but most of them do not live in the country. They live in expensive suburbs in some pretty big houses, drive nice cars, and have high paying jobs. Some are nurses, some are educators, a couple writers (published), and some of them are women who like to shoot guns.

Guns are for protection as well as for sport. You should get out more ...you might learn something.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Not really relevant to the point .... point is hunting is a lifestyle choice. If we are going to start separating out disabilities by "choices" people make, a lot more people are going to find their lifestyles come under scrutiny when disability comes up.
Oh, so you want the government to take money from people to cover things like disability payments (among other things) but then you want them to "scrutinize" people's "lifestyle" to determine if they ought to receive disability (which they paid in to through their taxes)? Typical Democrat. Dangle the carrot on the stick to get the votes, but then make it hard to get the benefit when it's needed.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Low wages disincentivize work. The average SSDI payment is $1170/mo. Minimum wage is $1160/mo BEFORE taxes. Then you have to factor in transportation cost to and from work (and in many cases, daycare). I would much rather stay home and raise my kid than work for LESS money. There is no nobility in putting your kid in daycare and being POORER just to say you're working. If we adopted a living wage, more of these people would go to work.
According to stats from last year (2016) in Hawaii the average starting salary of a teacher is $38,400 and the average for all teachers is $55,300. In that same state from 2013:
Quote:
A new report by Cato Institute, which examines the state-by-state value of welfare for a mother of two, said benefits in Hawaii average $49,175 — tops in the nation.

Michael Tanner, co-author of the Cato study, said that since welfare isn’t taxed, a person would have to earn $60,590 in Hawaii to take home the same $49,175 a person on welfare would.
When safety net programs are more profitable than a profession than requires a college degree, why is anyone surprised we have people who would prefer to use them? People should never be better off financially not working than working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies