Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 01:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,855,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is the one part of the transgender movement I am not completely sold on yet. I can easily be convinced. I have no problem with transgender people using the bathroom of their choice or legally identifying as the sex they want to be. When it comes to sports though, there are notable differences in the biological male and female body. This is why we divide sports out by sex anyways. I am not sure having somebody who is a fully developed male who transitioned to female compete on the female team is fair to the other cis girls. She is naturally going to have a physical advantage over them. If I am wrong on this, I am open to being persuaded.
I'm trans and I agree.

Estrogen does have a dramatic effect reducing muscle mass in trans women's bodies, but it takes a long time for that to happen. A few years at best.

That said, I have a trans guy friend named Michael who is a really big dude. Testosterone was very kind to him.

But like I said, it takes a good while for hormones to do what they need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 01:24 PM

31,110 posts, read 22,155,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The alternative is they aren't allowed to compete in sports unless they want to compete against people of the biological sex they were born with. Easy peasy. They'll live.
With pre, post and combinations of the above, the alternative would be to have a transgender league just like we have Special Olympics, issue solved

Old 06-04-2017, 04:42 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,609,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
With pre, post and combinations of the above, the alternative would be to have a transgender league just like we have Special Olympics, issue solved
I'm sure that would be possible in some areas, but not for school districts. There just aren't enough trans people to compete. But they could have something outside of school.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,530,908 times
Wrong
Wrong
AND
Wrong
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:49 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
What we need are two classes of completion, biological women and everyone else. It would be better if we just used common sense but we have tied our own hands with that in our push or inclusion and diversity.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:46 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,309,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The IOC allows transgender athletes to compete, after undergoing a year of closely monitored hormone therapy. This eliminates a lot of the competitive advantages cis-males have over female athletes. It may not completely level the playing field, but it keeps people from competing as something they're not. I'm assuming that Connecticut does not have this requirement because many families can not afford the therapy.
Actually the NCAA adapted their trans athlete policy before the IOC. The IOC policy pretty much replicates that of the NCAA. The policy was adapted based on opinion of medical experts on Trans health issues. It is stated that the policy could be amended or reversed at any time if it becomes opinion that the experts were wrong. To date in the NCAA there are only a few known cases of male to female trans athletes competing as a female, with no signs of any clear advantage, especially since they were only playing in a Div 3 program.

In the case of HS sports it would be best if they also adapted the NCAA policy.

The policy set forth by the NCAA;
https://www.transathlete.com/policies-college

Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 AM

59,312 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Track athlete win scholarships based on times. This kid isn't going to stop any cis-het girls from getting ahead.
"This kid isn't going to stop any cis-het girls from getting ahead."

Wait until they start taking position away from girls on the other team sports, relays, high jump, softball, basketball, swimming, etc.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,665,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm trans and I agree.

Estrogen does have a dramatic effect reducing muscle mass in trans women's bodies, but it takes a long time for that to happen. A few years at best.

That said, I have a trans guy friend named Michael who is a really big dude. Testosterone was very kind to him.

But like I said, it takes a good while for hormones to do what they need to do.
That will be the issue in practically all high school cases and most college cases, there will still be a major advantage due to the natural hormone differences yet to be countered by hormone therapy.

The truth of the matter is cases like this are going to be pretty rare; however, it is a real issue for the young ladies that are truly being cheated out of their victories.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,530,908 times
All this changing your sex and body parts is a Pandora's box that has been opened.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,665,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
All this changing your sex and body parts is a Pandora's box that has been opened.
Some people don't have the physical gender to match their mental gender.

I have no issue with those people fixing it to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies