Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Are you saying only the coast has credit companies? LOL And btw my husband installed hundreds of those machines you swipe your cards through all across the rural south.

Cities have many things but they have nothing on the country people in America. Don't you all think it is time to stop putting down the people who live in the country and maybe appreciate that if we didn't keep y'all straight, this country would be in a bigger mess than it is?

We let the cities have their way until they get so far to the left that we find it impossible to even be close to and then we silent land majority get riled enough to take our country back again.

Wonder if there are any figures stating what the average person owns in acreage in America. I own a little over 11 acres.
Oh the irony.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
Do you deny that the words "rural" and "urban" are often code for white and black?
Not in my neck of the woods. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:53 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
A concomitant distinction is blue-collar vs. white-collar. A medical doctor or university professor who buys acreage in the countryside, and commutes 1-hour into the city each morning, isn’t exactly “rural”, even if he/she has a hobby of raising chickens for fresh eggs, or keeps a horse, or enjoys duck-hunting. Likewise, a person raised on a farm, who then moves to the city to work as a carpenter, isn’t exactly “urban”, even if he/she lives in a high-rise apartment, buys coffee from Starbucks, and owns no guns.

The city anchoring my locale was famous in the early 20th century as being a hotbed of invention and engineering. It was the Silicon Valley of its time. But then the entrepreneurs and industrialists started massive factories, attracting folks from Appalachia and the South for remunerative and dignified manual labor. There was never much of a local culture of education or intellectual pursuit. The world changed, and the city declined. Today the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of those migrants are “urban” in the sense of where they reside… within city limits, or in the pre-war inner suburbs. But they are “rural” in their values and world-view, despite not having set foot on a farm for their entire lives.

By this reckoning, “rural” means rooted in an ethos of agrarian or manual labor, while “urban” means a longstanding family tradition of higher education and worldliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingsue View Post
Rural Americans are far more likely to hold the traditional values on which America was built, whereas, urban Americans are more likely to hold liberal positions, including strong anti-Americana views.
And what exactly are these values? Are they the values of Jefferson, or Hamilton?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
This sounds like a parent and child relationship, where the parent does all the work so the child may have a great childhood. Why would adults treat each other like this? Why bring value to a place where people just take and bring back no value?
Well I guess that what a lot of voters began to think and why Trump got elected?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I went to college in a town of less than 12,000 at the time in northwest Missouri...I basically spent 5 years of my life in rural America and interacting with rural americans. I can tell you right now, rural americans love to claim themselves as "real americans" and pass off their way of life as "American" or "Americana". I'm not just talking out of my backside like some people here. I grew up in mostly black urban areas, went to college in a very white American small town, and now I live in working class suburban area. I haven't just been in one place my entire life. Unlike some who claim to know the inner working of black urban areas that they've never set foot in.
You must have had a bad experience. I have never heard a person in rural America claim themselves as real Americans. I've never heard any American claim themselves as real Americans. Never really heard the term real Americans until this recent political cluster duck.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
It's simply a myth. The quaint notion that "real America" resides in rural communities is a cute nostalgic concept but it collapses under any real scrutiny. There is no monolithic "rural America" --- go out and look for yourself. It's corporate pig farms, opiates, drop-out teen moms, abandoned strip mines, half-wit bible-thumping preachers, and talk radio. The idyllic life of rural America vanished decades ago and they did it to themselves but want to blame everyone else.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Rural Americans are far more likely to hold the traditional values on which America was built, whereas, urban Americans are more likely to hold liberal positions, including strong anti-Americana views.
Say what?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Well for the past eight years coastal urban America has called itself the real true America while casting middle America aside for it's backwards ways. So don't point fingers cus there are three being pointed right back at you.

And it's not just middle rural america where I see Americana. I see it in California too. I think its just this idea to not be boxed in cities stacked on top of each other paying high prices for rent and selling to the corporate America.

It's just an idea and probably has no basis in reality but people still live by this notion of rural America being more "free". To some extent it is true to another extent, not so much.

Look, the same way you look at a good ol boy out in middle America with his almost pioneer lifestyle, big truck, local church going, etc, he is looking right back at you thinking you're wasting your life in a major city rat race, with no kids, debt up to your eyeballs for school, etc.

It's about different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Quote:

Pretty simple, really.
"traditional values"

America was built on bloodshed and slavery....But it would make sense that a white rural "American" would want to go back to that.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
"traditional values"

America was built on bloodshed and slavery....But it would make sense that a white rural "American" would want to go back to that.
...and that's exactly what the other poster was talking about. Thanks for proving his point, "urban" American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies