Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
but this isn't about impeachment
Ohhh I misinterpreted. I thought there was an assumption that Trump would be impeached if the Russians were found to have hacked the election, whether directly or indirectly. Hasty, uncareful reading on my part.

Honestly?...I don't know. I doubt there would be a recount...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Oliver hasn't gotten a hold of the new piece of evidence...just wait for that.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Thanks.

This thread runs on the hypothetical that the POTUS race was hacked and how the process would handle it.
The fun part is it would also mean all the house & senate seats the R's won would be negated, as would the SCOTUS appointment.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I suppose the courts would have to decide what to absent any specific instructions in the Constitution. They could invalidate the electoral college results and thus send the whole issue to the House where a president would be selected.
Good point, it might get sent to the House for a vote.

Keep in mind, if the House were to vote, they could literally elect anyone that fits the basic requirements of the POTUS.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
From my understanding, if the Russians did hack the election, making it invalid, wouldn't the Speaker Of The House assume the presidency until a new election could be scheduled?

How would a new election take place?

Would there even be one before 2020?

If so, would it be to serve out remainder or for four full years?

The election of the Speaker of the House to his seat in congress, would also be invalidated. There is no precedent nor any means in our government to resolve this issue. If the current resident of the White House was left temporarily in place, to oversee some process to deal with the situation, you can imagine the chaos that would result.

Each state would have to take care of itself, with no functional federal government. More chaos, as there would be a mass exodus from the red states to the blue ones. And the blue states would be rendered into places resembling what exists in Syria.

Probably the only way to effectively deal with it, would be for a military takeover to assume federal power. They could throw out the Constitution and rewrite it to be appropriate for the 21st Century and establish procedures to accommodate dilemmas of this sort. Then, after things were set up and stabilized, new elections could be held. This is something that has happened in many other countries, except that often, the military stays in power and becomes a dictatorship. I'd be interested in hearing other ideas on a solution for this.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The fun part is it would also mean all the house & senate seats the R's won would be negated, as would the SCOTUS appointment.
I'm running under the assumption that there were only proof of the POTUS tallies being changed.

If the entire election were invalid, the stat governors would make millet appointments for those seats.

It would get crazy.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The election of the Speaker of the House to his seat in congress, would also be invalidated. There is no precedent nor any means in our government to resolve this issue. If the current resident of the White House was left temporarily in place, to oversee some process to deal with the situation, you can imagine the chaos that would result.

Each state would have to take care of itself, with no functional federal government. More chaos, as there would be a mass exodus from the red states to the blue ones. And the blue states would be rendered into places resembling what exists in Syria.

Probably the only way to effectively deal with it, would be for a military takeover to assume federal power. They could throw out the Constitution and rewrite it to be appropriate for the 21st Century and establish procedures to accommodate dilemmas of this sort. Then, after things were set up and stabilized, new elections could be held. This is something that has happened in many other countries, except that often, the military stays in power and becomes a dictatorship. I'd be interested in hearing other ideas on a solution for this.
Each state has a procedure for appointing people to fill empty US senate and house seats representing their states.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Now tomorrow when all the media are discussing this it will all be FAKE NEWS. Just saying. Get ready for the attacks.

It isn't news, it is discussion and speculation and pondering........

Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
the USSC would just appoint Trump to 2 terms.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Paul Ryan would take office.

And, I'd imagine Congress would call for another election if it happened soon.

If after/during the 2018 election cycle, I'd think Ryan would remain until 2020's election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies