Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It would make air travel safer, cheaper, faster and greatly reduce, if not eliminate, waiting on the tarmac inside a hot aircraft without AC for hours before takeoff.

Naturally we should all hate that !!! We should lag behind other nations who have the same system ( that works quite well ) because President Trump wants to improve our lives.

What is the liberals plan for air travel improvements ?
Anyone ? Never heard a word from them about it. No ideas just resist and hate.

Where is your proof that Trump's alleged plan would do as you claim in the first paragraph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Why the personal attack WITHOUT ANY REBUTTAL ON THE SUBSTANCE ? Did you give it your all on the hate and resist movement and empty your thought chamber ? I don't mind a battle of words but I don't want to deal with an unarmed opponent.
You say that to me as if the person I quoted's post was full of facts and details LOL.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
This is a great idea. It if crazy that the FAA still uses radar to track and control aircraft when GPS is available. Computers will do a better and more efficient job of routing aircraft instead of some burned out controller.

Must be why in an extreme emergency, it was computers, not experienced minds and hands that safely landed an airliner on the Hudson River, right?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Privatizing air traffic could increase travel expense by 20-29% according to a Delta study in 2016. In fact nations that have privatized have seen increased cost to travelers. The general aviation community have voiced concerns that the 13 board members of the non profit corporation gives big airlines double the seats over the smaller airlines that transport cargo. Operation fees could be out of reach for the small businesses and small airports in rural towns.

Privatizing has been (R) Shuster's goal, and it would give Trump his way over due and much needed legislative victory. This has been an ongoing partisan debate between big vs small business. Do the Republicans love the idea of big business controlling air traffic control? Do the Democrats want to protect small businesses?

I agree that the system is antiquated, but there are good arguments for and against on both sides and neither side is willing to compromise. I predict yet another epic failure for Trump. Our government is still broken, on both side of the coin.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes privatize and dont stop with air traffic control. Let airlines run their own security, build and maintain their own airports ...
Sadly trump isnt going to really privatize, he's just going restructure. In other words, govt. will still be involved, dictating,making rules etc. another crony deal.
We've been hustled again.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:59 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That is interesting. Like the OP, I know little to nothing about this issue. However, the idea seems to be favorably regarded, including by the union of air traffic controllers.

I doubt that President Trump is pushing this due to his dislike of planes flying over his Florida estate.
When Pres. Trump is that Mar-A-Lago he doesn't have to worry about airplanes over his house.

NOTAM stands for notice to airmen

VIP TFR NOTAM IMPACT STATEMENTS

President of the United States (POTUS) TFR Near Palm Beach International Airport

Updated March 16, 2017

A President of the United States (POTUS) TFR for Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) and the surrounding area will be in effect any time President Donald Trump is at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, FL. The TFR will be activated via NOTAM. View the latest VIP TFR NOTAMs.

The POTUS TFR will be implemented because of the proximity of Mar-a-Lago to PBI, as the residence is 2.1 nautical miles (nm) away, and is in the final arrival path for Runway 28R.

The TFR will affect airspace 30 miles around Palm Beach from the surface to 17,999 feet. Operators should expect potential required or tactical reroutes, and non-standard routing in the vicinity of the inner 10 nm TFR core.

Snip

TFR stands for temporary flight restrictions.

So at least now we can put that crazy idea to bed and you can rest assured koch brothers had nothing to do with it.

Who is responsible for safety and flight? The answer to that is the pilot in command this is the way it always has been and always will be. The pilot in command is responsible for navigation and when operating under VFR (visual flight rules) it is the pilot's responsibility to avoid collisions with other airplanes.

The responsibility that air traffic controllers have is ensuring that airplanes operating under instrument flight rules are At a safe distance from other airplanes operating in IFR conditions. IFR stands for instrument flight rules.

I've been flying since 1971 and I hold a commercial pilot's license with instrument ratings I'm also a certified flight instructor both advanced and instruments. I don't know my exact hours flying instruments communicating with air traffic controllers but I know it's at least several thousand for what that's worth.

An air traffic controllers primary function is to keep aircraft operating under instrument flight conditions from colliding into each other but this job can be done using electronic devices.

Airborne Collision Avoidance System (ACAS)

Another function that they have is delivering clearances but that can easily be accomplished by computer.

I look back at what we had 45 years ago and things of changed drastically in that time. Used to be, before computers cell phones text messaging, we had at a a flight service stations all over the country they were at most airports were a pilot would go in and get weather briefings and if he was taking off under instrument flight rules you would get a clearance. Today nearly all these FAA flight service stations are God they don't exist anymore because the job they used to have can be handled on a cell phone on a computer just as easily as we had it back then.

I'm here to tell you the current system we have is antiquated to say the least.

For what it is worth, speaking as a pilot, I think this is the route to go Trump is on the right path.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:03 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
You should love this Lefties! You guys fall all over yourselves with whatever Canada is doing and they do this.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You should love this Lefties! You guys fall all over yourselves with whatever Canada is doing and they do this.
Unless Trump wants to do it and that it is bad bad bad!

Imagine for a moment the lefty revolt if Trump come out and said he didn't want to computerize the air traffic control system because he didn't want to be like Canada. I wonder what the outrage level would be.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
We sometimes politicize that which is a real issue.

The FAA has bungled the modernization of the air traffic control system for the last 25 years. Fact of life. Basically an ongoing bureaucratic screw up. And it continues to this day with no real view of achieving a successful system.

Trump has proposed one potential solution in casting the function off into a separate corporation with the task of implementing such as system. It will end up some sort of a quasi government entity as the task is one that can only be owned by the government no matter who does the work.

The technology involved is well understood and implementable. And no we would likely maintain existing or new radar systems only to the extent needed for weather and such. ID and location data can be automatic and not under pilot control.

Issues of the exact structure and composition of the corporation can certainly be worked out in the process. Everything from a new NASA to a free standing corporate entity can be considered.

But Trump is right for once. We need to decide and do it.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
A solution without a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies