Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

It seems like in almost every terror attack some officials are onto these terrorists before they commit their acts. These last ones were a doozy. People reported one of them. He was thrown out of his mosque. He was in a documentary called "The Jihadis Next Door." I can't even think of anything worse than that with regard to announcing your intent. A bus billboard adverisement? MI5 knew about them. The police interviewed one of them. A third one was stopped in Italy (his mother lives there) last year (march 2016):

Quote:
He had a one-way ticket to Istanbul, no luggage, a small backpack and no cash on him - raising fears he was travelling to Syria to join ISIS. Prosecutors who seized his phone found propaganda videos and images suggesting he wished to join the terror network. A complete dossier was forwarded to the MI5 in April 2016, more than a year before the attack in London Bridge, Repubblica reports. "The Met's Counter-Terrorism Command say he was 'not a police or MI5 subject of interest.'"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/373557...s-route-syria/
If someone like that isn't, who is? By the way, they let go all 12 people they arrested.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/372841...ck-terrorists/

I laugh when they talk about all of the cameras on the streets these days. That's good for tracking them down after the attack but it prevents nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It seems like in almost every terror attack some officials are onto these terrorists before they commit their acts. These last ones were a doozy. People reported one of them. He was thrown out of his mosque. He was in a documentary called "The Jihadis Next Door." I can't even think of anything worse than that with regard to announcing your intent. A bus billboard adverisement? MI5 knew about them. The police interviewed one of them. A third one was stopped in Italy (his mother lives there) last year (march 2016):

If someone like that isn't, who is? By the way, they let go all 12 people they arrested.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/372841...ck-terrorists/

I laugh when they talk about all of the cameras on the streets these days. That's good for tracking them down after the attack but it prevents nothing
You can't arrest someone if they haven't committed a crime.

Maybe a sting operation would work or an infiltration of the network in the U.K.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
It is frustration, because it seems well over half of these terrorists were indeed under the radar. It also frustrates me to see all the police in full gear lining the streets after the attack. Then it frustrates me when politicians talk about needing more laws to protect the citizens.

Here is the crazy thing. One could argue, well you cannot just have police arrest people who may be a threat. Most Muslim men who go to a radical meeting or watch radical youtube ISIS videos, are not terrorist and to be fair, maybe some really just are curious about the other side. Then you see large UK marches where Muslim men chant death to UK, death to USA, pro Sharia, anti Israel, etc etc But I keep hearing stories about UK nationalists getting arrested for hate speech. You got to treat both sides fairly.

Either we have real pure freedom of speech that is sort of crazy and dangerous, but real freedom.
Or we crack down on both sides of the extremes and have some sort of crazy police state that is like some despotic future movie.
But you cannot pick one side and roll with it.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM

9,883 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Around the world, there are probably hundreds of thousands of people "known to law enforcement" but until they actually commit a crime, there is little that law enforcement can do. LE can keeps tabs on them but it's impossible to keep each potential under 24 hour surveillance.

Arresting people simply for possibly doing something in the future isn't the way that most of us would want to live.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
They were on our radar.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They were on our radar.
Future suicide bombers

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Future suicide bombers
After watching their families get killed, most likely. Would you blame them?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:36 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
After watching their families get killed, most likely. Would you blame them?
The arrogance and false pride and self righteousness of their perverted religion demands that they blame their mistakes and problems on outsiders. Kinda like democrats.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
The arrogance and false pride and self righteousness of their perverted religion demands that they blame their mistakes and problems on outsiders. Kinda like democrats.
We refuse to own up to our mistakes, so we compound them.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
The one I liked hearing when Bush was president-preemptive strike.

Let's have preemptive arrests.
(Awaits the SJW coddle logic that is racist or they didn't commit a crime)

I say do it. You know they're going to lawyer up, there goes money from Johnny jihad to a lawyer. It will slow them down cost money. They'll have no choice but to lay low.

Could try the racist/prejudice approach to counter it, but that's petty when lives are at risk. Could care less about the superficial stigma.

You'd have no problems reporting a right wing nut job who'd want to blow something up, or shoot something up. I'm an equal opportunity punisher. I don't care what color you are, where you hail from, what Diety you pray to or don't. You want to kill, maim, disfigure, or scar through acts of violence you should get the express lane to a firing squad or gallows.

Could start with Dylan Roof and the Aurora shooter, so much for that white privelege, wonder if the SJW crowd would see a problem with them being at the front of the line over others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies