Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I don't care if this is free speech, anyone who thinks this is right is beyond twisted!

VIDEO: 'Trump' Stabbed to Death During Shakespeare in the Park Performance of 'Julius Caesar'

So, they are using tax payer $ to show Trump being stabbed to death on stage. This is insane.

And please no "but how did you feel when Obama doll was strung up", that's not acceptable either so say how you really feel and don't use excuses.

This is sickening!
Consider the Mayor of New York when it comes to "Taxpayer Money".

This play is also Sponsored by several Corporations -
Delta Airlines, American Express, Bank of America and of course -- The New York Times.

Apparently all of these groups (including New York City residents) are in favor of depictions of Assassinating a President of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I don't care if this is free speech, anyone who thinks this is right is beyond twisted!

VIDEO: 'Trump' Stabbed to Death During Shakespeare in the Park Performance of 'Julius Caesar'

So, they are using tax payer $ to show Trump being stabbed to death on stage. This is insane.

And please no "but how did you feel when Obama doll was strung up", that's not acceptable either so say how you really feel and don't use excuses.

This is sickening!
How I really feel..........no excuses............."It'S Free Speech!" Don't like it, don't watch it. Free speech is generally ugly speech. If everyone agreed with it it wouldn't be free speech. Free speech is there for this exact reason. So modern day Nazi can walk down the street unimpeded, so alt rights can hold an anti muslim rally down main street. So liberals can do a play about Julius Caesar and dress the cast in modern attire. There's always one side or the other who are pissed at someone else's free speech. Sometimes it's us libs, other times it's you.
You're all against PC, but it Seems to me, that railing against a Broadway play is trying to be PC. "Oh! you can't say or do that, it's offensive." That is the essence of PC and you are exhibiting it.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why is any play tax funded?
It's held in Central Park and it's Free ..... supported by Corporate Sponsors also.
They bill it as a Great Family Entertainment. Bring the kiddies so they can see the US President Assassinated.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:53 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
How I really feel..........no excuses............."It'S Free Speech!" Don't like it, don't watch it. Free speech is generally ugly speech. If everyone agreed with it it wouldn't be free speech. Free speech is there for this exact reason. So modern day Nazi can walk down the street unimpeded, so alt rights can hold an anti muslim rally down main street. So liberals can do a play about Julius Caesar and dress the cast in modern attire. There's always one side or the other who are pissed at someone else's free speech. Sometimes it's us libs, other times it's you.
You're all against PC, but it Seems to me, that railing against a Broadway play is trying to be PC. "Oh! you can't say or do that, it's offensive." That is the essence of PC and you are exhibiting it.
In that case, you would need to support protestors, too, who abhor this play. IN order to be consistent.

I was a fan of the TV show Married with Children, and I also admired Terri Rakolta, the housewife who complained to sponsors about it. P&G dropped their ads.

Free speech is not immune, nor should it be, from reactions, including economic boycotts.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:53 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's held in Central Park and it's Free ..... supported by Corporate Sponsors also.
They bill it as a Great Family Entertainment. Bring the kiddies so they can see the US President Assassinated.
Wow. Talk about sick Leftist parents......

Old 06-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
If it wasn't for Double Standards -- Leftists would have NO Standards at All. That's a FACT.
It's really a matter of Good Taste and pure Class or lack of. Sure, these idiots have the right to "free" speech - no matter how classless, rude, tasteless and uninformed it might be. They are sick.
The Real-Deal is how other people react to their 'classless, tasteless, rude, uninformed' - that tells the real story.

Missouri fair bans rodeo clown wearing Obama mask

Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's not the president. It's Julius Caesar dressed in a modern day power suit and a red tie. That's not Paul Ryan That's Brutus with the knife. That's not Mitch McConnell sticking the knife in the ribs, that's Gaius Cassius Longinus. That's not the entire American Senate killing Trump, that's the entire Roman Senate all putting an end to a dictator.
That's not some liberal play written by Maxine Waters, that's a 600 year old play written by William Shakespeare.

The only thing that makes it disgusting is the fact that the historic similarities are unsettling. A despot who wants to direct the nation into one man rule while the legislature wants to keep it rule of the people.

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-11-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In that case, you would need to support protestors, too, who abhor this play. IN order to be consistent.

I was a fan of the TV show Married with Children, and I also admired Terri Rakolta, the housewife who complained to sponsors about it. P&G dropped their ads.

Free speech is not immune, nor should it be, from reactions, including economic boycotts.
Exactly. I agree. This particular play is not something I'd watch nor am I interested in the novelty of Julius Caesar done up in modern garb. I'd much rather see a community college version of the authentic Julius Caesar that this one. After 5 minutes of Caesar dressed like Trump and I'd be heading for the exits in boredom.
But in all cases, I support the right for the theater company to do it. I respect the rights of an artist to make a Image of JC and fill it full of urine. I respect the right of a group of yahoos to dress up in Nazi regalia and march down main street looking like anachronistic clowns.

We lose free speech of all sorts, we lose our nation of diversity.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
It's not the president. It's Julius Caesar dressed in a modern day power suit and a red tie. That's not Paul Ryan That's Brutus with the knife. That's not Mitch McConnell sticking the knife in the ribs, that's Gaius Cassius Longinus. That's not the entire American Senate killing Caesar, that's the entire Roman Senate all putting an end to a dictator.
That's not some liberal play written by Maxine Waters, that's a 600 year old play written by William Shakespeare.

The only thing that makes it disgusting is the fact that the historic similarities are unsettling. A despot who wants to direct the nation into one man rule while the legislature wants to keep it rule of the people.
Well-put. Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" is a historical play, not quite "600 years old", but it does depict the politics of ancient Rome at the time of Caesar's assassination. Caesar was the head of state - Trump is the head of state of our country. Producing Shakespeare's plays in modern dress is nothing new, nor is depicting his characters as resembling contemporary real people.

I expect that rather than a anti-Trump political statement, the director of this production of "Julius Caesar" might well have been attempting to make the shock that Caesar's assassination caused the citizens of ancient Rome more relevant to today's audiences - those ancient Romans must have felt just as we might feel at the public and violent murder of a controversial head of state by a formerly trusted friend, though in this case, Caesar was also a brilliant military leader and war hero, an explorer, a writer, a historian, and a highly intelligent, widely gifted man.

As Shakespeare's play also depicts various other individuals that actually lived during that time, and also makes clear the various POVs and goals of these individuals (enhanced for the stage, of course, with increased drama), in addition to the tensions and problems of the time, the parallels between Caesar's time - and our own - become more pronounced.

Now if you really want to get into just what Shakespeare was writing about - other than ancient history - look into the politics of Shakespeare's own time. Lots of implications there, too. Shakespeare was nothing if not subtle (not that casting a Trump look-alike as Caesar is particularly subtle, but that's the director's doing, not Shakespeare's. Trump is no Caesar, never was and is unlikely ever to be).

Folks, you gotta do your homework to understand this fully. I won't even get into censorship and artistic freedom of expression, or this post would become way too long, but they're worth considering.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:38 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Thanks libs I'm officially nauseous.

More people to add to my ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies