Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:58 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I didn't say you singled me out. The point I was making was good people will always be good people no matter who is the president.
That's true, of course. I certainly don't assume this is all of (or even a large minority of) Trump voters. And there are plenty of ignorant idiots in other camps, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Ignorance on its own is not necesarilly something to be ashamed of (although it's not something to be proud of, either).

The issue is assuming that Sikhs are Muslim and them hassling them about it. Or, for that matter, anyone that "looks" Muslim.

Combining ignorance, fear, and hate is the problem.
You must have missed a couple of posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sikhs and Muslims look nothing alike. Sikhs in particular have very distinct customs and attire. Even names - if a guy's last name is Singh or a woman's last name is Kaur, they're probably Sikh.

How do people possibly mix them up?
Quote:
Because most people don't know this. Or even know what Sikhism is.

'Murica!

Old 06-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You must have missed a couple of posts:
...your point?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
...your point?
Those posts had nothing to do with violence or actual bigotry; they were about not being able to identify a Sikh.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Those posts had nothing to do with violence or actual bigotry; they were about not being able to identify a Sikh.
Of course. But why was the initial post written? Perhaps...I don't know, just spitballing here...because of the thread, which is about Sikh's having to "prove they're not a threat"? Seems reasonable, does it not?

So I respond to the poster about why someone would mix them up.

Then you respond with how this doesn't affect you (ok....why even respond at all...but that's another issue). Then I explain why it does affect some Americans and why it's worth caring about.

The issue of ignorance about what Sikhism is not the specific issue - but when mixed with fear and rhetoric from Trump fueling that fear, it's not a great combination.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Of course. But why was the initial post written? Perhaps...I don't know, just spitballing here...because of the thread, which is about Sikh's having to "prove they're not a threat"? Seems reasonable, does it not?

So I respond to the poster about why someone would mix them up.

Then you respond with how this doesn't affect you (ok....why even respond at all...but that's another issue). Then I explain why it does affect some Americans and why it's worth caring about.

The issue of ignorance about what Sikhism is not the specific issue - but when mixed with fear and rhetoric from Trump fueling that fear, it's not a great combination.
I wasn't responding to that post; I was responding to the post subtly implying that it was somehow shameful that people couldn't tell a Sikh from a Muslim.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:27 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It doesn't blame Trump ?
The headline blames Trump . Are you serious ?

Yeah that's the problem with the left it's all about "suggestions" and "possible scenarios"
Rather than facts .

"If trump wins the KKK might get bigger!"

"If trump wins the stock market will crash right away!"

"If trump wins ... x might happen "

Now we see none of that happened

Liberals are like boy who cried wolf .
Idiots judge an article based on the headline. Given that I am not an idiot, I prefer to read the article. Headlines anymore are there so people don't have to read the article, but its' never enough.

The article merely expresses a potential correlation between political rhetoric (not just Trump's) and violence against minority groups. It notes that after 9/11, many Sikhs were discriminated against, being mistaken for Muslims. This went down when Bush spoke publicly about tolerance and understanding that not all Muslims are terrorists.

Rhetoric has power.

As for most of this post, it had noting to do with anything I said or even this thread, that you started. But you got to blame liberals for something, so there's that. That is modern politics is seems; immaturity.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I wasn't responding to that post; I was responding to the post subtly implying that it was somehow shameful that people couldn't tell a Sikh from a Muslim.
I never implied that it is shameful...I merely put forth it as an explanation for why someone would not be able to tell the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
You're sick and tired of people but the newspaper gets a pass with a headline like that ok
I'm critical of clickbait articles all the time. My main criticism of modern media has consistently been sensationalism and clickbait mentality, as opposed to having to hear some opinions that aren't mine expressed favorable. That doesn't give people an excuse to not read the article.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I never implied that it is shameful...I merely put forth it as an explanation for why someone would not be able to tell the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim.
Read the post you responded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies