Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,128,208 times

Advertisements

I kid you not, but apparently North Korea is making threats to NYC, Trump's hometown. I live in the NYC area so this is cause for alarm.... Granted, NY is probably not a viable target at this time since it's so far away but the West Coast is within reach soon.

North Korea Threatened to Destroy New York With Nuclear Missiles Because of Trump's Twitter Fingers

"North Korea has responded harshly, albeit late, to a comment tweeted by President Donald Trump early this year by threatening the Republican leader's hometown of New York City.

North Korea's state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper ran an article last week referencing a Twitter remark made weeks before Trump took office in January. At the time, Trump said North Korea's plan to develop a nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the U.S. "won't happen." Since then, Trump has deployed extensive naval firepower to the region to try to prevent North Korea from pursuing a sixth nuclear weapons test, sparking a recent period of heightened tensions in the Asia-Pacific.
"

Thoughts on this? Sounds to me like the more we ignore Little Kim, the more attention he wants. What is your reaction if NK threatens YOUR town claiming he's doing it in response to our POTUS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Oh goodie, we have two nutjobs trading nasty words and threats, can someone Please take the keys to the nukes away from our nutjob.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I kid you not, but apparently North Korea is making threats to NYC, Trump's hometown. I live in the NYC area so this is cause for alarm.... Granted, NY is probably not a viable target at this time since it's so far away but the West Coast is within reach soon.

North Korea Threatened to Destroy New York With Nuclear Missiles Because of Trump's Twitter Fingers

"North Korea has responded harshly, albeit late, to a comment tweeted by President Donald Trump early this year by threatening the Republican leader's hometown of New York City.

North Korea's state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper ran an article last week referencing a Twitter remark made weeks before Trump took office in January. At the time, Trump said North Korea's plan to develop a nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the U.S. "won't happen." Since then, Trump has deployed extensive naval firepower to the region to try to prevent North Korea from pursuing a sixth nuclear weapons test, sparking a recent period of heightened tensions in the Asia-Pacific.
"

Thoughts on this? Sounds to me like the more we ignore Little Kim, the more attention he wants. What is your reaction if NK threatens YOUR town claiming he's doing it in response to our POTUS?
The US has 2 choices: either tell Kim to go stuff it or, hit N Korea and, hit it hard.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,682,785 times
Our best bet is Dennis Rodman who happens to be in the neighborhood.

The left has offered up Katy Perry's solution so follow that if Rodman fails.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 PM

39,249 posts, read 27,650,711 times
Quote:

"

You shouldn't worry too much.

North Korean missiles cannot reach even Hawaii. They can reach Alaska, though.

If North Korea somehow got the technology to bomb the US mainland, the US has an national missile defense system. That is exactly why a strong military is absolutely necessary.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 PM

39,249 posts, read 27,650,711 times
Quote:
I kid you not, but apparently North Korea is making threats to NYC, Trump's hometown. I live in the NYC area so this is cause for alarm.... Granted, NY is probably not a viable target at this time since it's so far away but the West Coast is within reach soon.?
Well, I understand your concern, but don't worry so much.

If it was a ballistic missile, its point of impact can be quickly determined so if there is an immediate threat to US, we would shoot it down. Otherwise it would land harmlessly.

Now, if it were an anti-ship missile and the US can determine whether they are being directly targeted, we'd shoot it down and possibly destroy or sink the launch system.

Fat boy always wanted attention, it is not something new.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,808,538 times
Default We'd likely pursue other possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The US has 2 choices: either tell Kim to go stuff it or, hit N Korea and, hit it hard.
We're - the US - not about to run a conventional war on N. Korea, nor nuke everything of value in sight there. There are better ways to address the issues, but I don't expect there will be much public discussion of what the possibilities are.

A conventional war would expose a lot of S. Korea's population & infrastructure & military to artillery from N. Korea, & endanger our tripwire forces @ the DMZ. A nuclear exchange, while definitive, would leave a long footprint in the DMZ area & the waters on either side of N. Korea.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
We're - the US - not about to run a conventional war on N. Korea, nor nuke everything of value in sight there. There are better ways to address the issues, but I don't expect there will be much public discussion of what the possibilities are.

A conventional war would expose a lot of S. Korea's population & infrastructure & military to artillery from N. Korea, & endanger our tripwire forces @ the DMZ. A nuclear exchange, while definitive, would leave a long footprint in the DMZ area & the waters on either side of N. Korea.
Correct, someone that actually knows the situation and speaks of the reality of a war in Korea. I would add that it is debatable that China would not react in kind if we resorted to nukes, the Chinese are not always predictable and they are beginning to flex their own muscles militarily. This situation is nothing to sneeze at and very complicated, problem is we have a leader that has actually asked if we have nukes why we cannot use them, so I put nothing off the table when it comes to his actions. Good God I miss the Real Republicans of the past that were Known for their ability to use diplomacy instead of resorting to war.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
N.Korea can barely get a missile off the ground.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
N.Korea can barely get a missile off the ground.
Not what the experts are saying. One of the rules in any conflict is to never underestimate your enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies