Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 PM

52 posts, read 52,413 times

Advertisements

I am tired of hearing people say freedom of speech and democracy have been the main factors for America's economic ascendancy, when in fact sparking wars and deceiving people around the globe have driven USA to where it is today. Remember 2004, Iraq ? When they said there were weapons of mass destruction and there were none, they were just going after the oil. This scenario has repeated over and over again.This was brought up by Mr. President Donald Trump in a republican debate, the only person brave enough to get on a stage and say such thing before a huge crowd. God bless President Trump ! God bless the new USA under President Trump.

Please input your insights on this matter respectfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 10:20 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Indoor plumbing.

Greatest achievement in my life time.

Single best example to improve productivity.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
I have to say, this post ended in a way I was not expecting.

And no, you're wrong.

America became economically competitive primarily after the first WWI, a war that started and had literally nothing to do with the United States, so no deception there. And it really boomed during and after WWII, where we did kind of take advantage of the war, but let's face it, it's foolish to not waste that opportunity, as morally gray as that seems. But we did not start that war.

The US really stated to blur the ethical line in the world stage during the Cold War. The Soviet Union was an imminent threat and the US was the best option to oppose it. Yes, this eroded American democracy. The office of the presidency, for example, has been consuming more and more power ever since. Each president seems to take more than the last. The Cold War allowed that; as with nearly every situation in the past, I don't blame the people for making the decision they did that led us here but that doesn't mean I approve of the outcome.

So, to be clear, Iraq had literally nothing to do with it.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
2 massive oceans on either side of us.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

And no, you're wrong.

America became economically competitive primarily after the first WWI, a war that started and had literally nothing to do with the United States, so no deception there. And it really boomed during and after WWII, where we did kind of take advantage of the war, but let's face it, it's foolish to not waste that opportunity, as morally gray as that seems. But we did not start that war.

The US really stated to blur the ethical line in the world stage during the Cold War. The Soviet Union was an imminent threat and the US was the best option to oppose it. Yes, this eroded American democracy. The office of the presidency, for example, has been consuming more and more power ever since. Each president seems to take more than the last. The Cold War allowed that; as with nearly every situation in the past, I don't blame the people for making the decision they did that led us here but that doesn't mean I approve of the outcome.

I agree with all of this. Iraq came after America was really already past its peak. I would say the late '80s/early '90s were probably the peak of American power and prestige.

America did decently in its earlier history, but it wasn't until the 20th century that the country began evolving into a superpower.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
2 massive oceans on either side of us.
This as well. The US emerged from both world wars unscathed while Europe was decimated. That gave the US a lot of opportunity for influence around the world in exchange for helping countries recover from the war.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
The strength of America is the ascendancy of man above government (the state) which allows people to conduct their affairs as they wish and to reap the benefits of their creativity.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with all of this. Iraq came after America was really already past its peak. I would say the late '80s/early '90s were probably the peak of American power and prestige.

America did decently in its earlier history, but it wasn't until the 20th century that the country began evolving into a superpower.
That's right.

That's when indoor plumbing really took off.

Imagine !!!

Look at the cities today. They could not exist with so many people pack so tight together without indoor plumbing.

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This as well. The US emerged from both world wars unscathed while Europe was decimated. That gave the US a lot of opportunity for influence around the world in exchange for helping countries recover from the war.
The entire continent of Africa was unscathed by WW II....shouldn't they have emerged even higher than the USA to influence the world and help the countries recover from the war?

52 posts, read 52,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

And no, you're wrong.

Interesting comment. Why was the Soviet Union a threat to America ? As fas as I know they had no intentions of dominating the world, unlike Hitlers and his minions.

why is USA involved in wars in the middle east ? why do they posses military bases in almost every continent and freak out when a Russian submarine gets spotted 2000 miles off US coasts ??????????

It seems to me that it is kind of a do what I say but not what I do type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies