Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure it's worth a thread of its own, and although I'm certain that it will be attacked by cult members, attached is a profile of Trump voters by a D leaning think tank that's pretty interesting. Different voting blocs make up every political coalition. As per the study, here's what the Trump coalition consists of:

Quote:
American Preservationists (20%)These Trump voters lean economically progressive, believe the economic and political systems are rigged, have nativist immigration views, and a nativist and ethnocultural conception of American identity.

Anti-Elites (19%)This group of Trump supporters leans economically progressive, believes the economic and political systems are rigged, and takes relatively more moderate positions on immigration, race, and American identity than American Preservationists. They are also the most likely group to favor political compromise.

Staunch Conservatives (31%) They are steadfast fiscal conservatives, embrace moral traditionalism, and have a moderately nativist conception of American identity and approach to immigration.

Free Marketeers (25%) They are small government fiscal conservatives, free traders, with moderate to liberal positions on immigration and race. Their vote was a vote primarily against Clinton and not a vote for Trump.

The Disengaged (5%)This group does not know much about politics, but what they do know is they feel detached from institutions and elites and are skeptical of immigration.

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/repo...s-trump-voters

Last edited by Bureaucat; 06-18-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In far lower numbers than she needed.
It helps when there is widespread proliferation of biased propaganda targeted at swings states and encouraged/led by a foreign adversary to promote Republican votes and discourage Democratic ones. But I'm sure you don't even believe that happened, so...

Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
But with a country that's nearly 50/50 divided, small shifts among voter-cohorts can make definitive impact. That's also the reason for animosity against "spoiler candidates" (Libertarians, Greens, etc.) - siphoning off say 3% of the voters, but with that perhaps being enough to sway the overall election.

As we've noted ubiquitously, rural voters are not a monolithic block, and indeed, the very term "rural" covers broad context and circumstance. An auto-industry executive working in downtown Detroit, who commutes 90-minutes each way from a farm 50 miles from Detroit, is "rural" - as is his neighbor, who is a 5th-generation farmer - as is the other neighbor, who's a meth-head in a trailer.

But the above notwithstanding, rural people tend to be more conservative than urban ones. That, I think, is not a controversial statement. What is more controversial is why so many conservative voters were swayed to choose a candidate in 2016 who by most measures is neither conservative, nor aligned with their core cultural values.
Sadly, that is very easy to answer. They vote reliably republican because the party has convinced them that to do otherwise is to vote for atheism, homos, gun grabbers and abortions. These shadowy homosexuals and abortions must be stopped. It comes down to religious brainwashing. Just like the Muslims, only with a kinder book.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So because in an honest election your choice did not win you want to overthrow the government. Now tell me? Who is the traitor in this situation?
Is anyone actually arguing that the results of the election weren't legitimate? The problem is that there were and continue to be ongoing questions as to Trump and his campaign/administration's involvement in collusion, as well as general shadiness and corruption top to bottom. The "traitor" stuff, from what I have seen, is thrown at Trump supporters because they so often put Trump's well-being and reputation above the defense of the US, its historic principles and the Constitution. Trump supporters are so caught up in their unwavering love for the man, that they constantly make arguments that could easily be considered traitorous in the larger view.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I wonder why they have the distrust.....? Must be something.
Must be...

Quote:
(Detroit and Philly gave us Trump)
The DNC/Hillary gave us tRump.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
"The Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation survey of nearly 1,700 Americans — including more than 1,000 adults living in rural areas and small towns — finds deep-seated kinship in rural America, coupled with a stark sense of estrangement from people who live in urban areas. Nearly 7 in 10 rural residents say their values differ from people who live in big cities, including about 4 in 10 who say their values are “very different.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/class...20a_story.html

Yes, I know it's the WaPo..and the article is long---but well worth reading..IMO
WaPo won't allow you to read it unless you are a subscriber.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
WaPo won't allow you to read it unless you are a subscriber.
Not true, or at least I was able to read the article without being a subscriber, but...

If anyone really wants to better know the difference between Hillary voters and Trump supporters, all they need do is Google "demographic" of either, and there you will find all kinds of many surveys done to sort out who voted for either and why.

For example, this one is pretty comprehensive for those still interested enough to bother...

Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-18-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I'm not sure it's worth a thread of its own...[/url]
After wasting a little too much time reading so much nonsense posted in this forum, about what conservatives think of liberals and vice versa, I've been tempted to start a thread inviting people to make an honest effort to state -- in honest, fair and sincere manner -- what they believe that is different from what the other side believes.

If people actually made such an effort in such a thread, we might actually learn something, but experience has also taught me that the odds of such a thread getting hi-jacked by all the jack-offs who have no interest in doing other than posting insults and nonsense are too high.

So instead, I'll just sign off now and move onto doing something productive with this Father's Day...

A good day to all you fellow fathers as well!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Is anyone actually arguing that the results of the election weren't legitimate? The problem is that there were and continue to be ongoing questions as to Trump and his campaign/administration's involvement in collusion, as well as general shadiness and corruption top to bottom. The "traitor" stuff, from what I have seen, is thrown at Trump supporters because they so often put Trump's well-being and reputation above the defense of the US, its historic principles and the Constitution. Trump supporters are so caught up in their unwavering love for the man, that they constantly make arguments that could easily be considered traitorous in the larger view.
lol - until a few months ago many Americans were making the same statement about President Obama supporters.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - until a few months ago many Americans were making the same statement about President Obama supporters.
But there's a big difference.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies