Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times

Advertisements

Before 9/11, we were a pretty polarized nation and we probably would have arrived at our current level of polarization much sooner had the event not have happened. The 2000 election was like a toned down version of 2016 in my opinion. The person that won the popular vote lost the electoral college to somebody who represented the values of rural America. I remember the early Bush months weren't all that smooth (though the chaos was nothing compared to what we currently have going on). There was a lot of talk similar to what is currently going on, that the liberals were looking for anything to tarnish Bush's reputation. The difference is, Bush never did or was accused of doing anything illegal. Then, 9/11 happened and brought the entire country together for a short period of time. It didn't matter if you were Democrat or Republican, we are all Americans and we were united. 9/11 was a wake up call for many people and as much of a tragedy as it was, brought out the best in people afterwards. This unification started to crack around late 2002 when Bush and the GOP were starting to bake the case for war in Iraq. Prior to that though, it was a rare moment of unity in our society. Once we were in Iraq, I think the stage was set for the slow slide to our current polarization.

Do you think some kind of national tragedy like 9/11 is what it would take to bring this country together again? Is it possible to become unified again without something like that happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 12:15 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,789,434 times
No, it will likely further divide with the attacks from one side or the other over whose fault it is.

I don't think this country will ever be united, and we should honestly seriously looking into splitting the country.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,958,993 times
The plutocrats would love to pull off another 9/11 to get their war on.

But since we're already currently engaged in half a dozen conflicts, perhaps they will restrain themselves for the time being.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 AM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, it will likely further divide with the attacks from one side or the other over whose fault it is.

I don't think this country will ever be united, and we should honestly seriously looking into splitting the country.
Give it a few more years to see if we can ever become one country again. If not, we do need to split up.

911 only kept us united for a short time. As a Democrat, Bush wasn't that bad compared to what we have now and things that are going on now. I don't think Bush was out to take things away, like health insurance that will cause many to suffer or die. Bush was just sort of blah, out for Big Oil and the rich. But so are the very far left breed of Dems.

There may be another 911 if far left liberals don't keep an eye on illegals and too many Muslims (Muslims I am not really against but take a look at what's happening in Europe and get real.) Could also happen if Trump keeps antagonizing them and bombing their countries. If it happens each side will blame the other. By then we'd better be looking at what other country we can move to because it's not going to be a pretty sight over here.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,270,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Before 9/11, we were a pretty polarized nation and we probably would have arrived at our current level of polarization much sooner had the event not have happened. The 2000 election was like a toned down version of 2016 in my opinion. The person that won the popular vote lost the electoral college to somebody who represented the values of rural America. I remember the early Bush months weren't all that smooth (though the chaos was nothing compared to what we currently have going on). There was a lot of talk similar to what is currently going on, that the liberals were looking for anything to tarnish Bush's reputation. The difference is, Bush never did or was accused of doing anything illegal. Then, 9/11 happened and brought the entire country together for a short period of time. It didn't matter if you were Democrat or Republican, we are all Americans and we were united. 9/11 was a wake up call for many people and as much of a tragedy as it was, brought out the best in people afterwards. This unification started to crack around late 2002 when Bush and the GOP were starting to bake the case for war in Iraq. Prior to that though, it was a rare moment of unity in our society. Once we were in Iraq, I think the stage was set for the slow slide to our current polarization.

Do you think some kind of national tragedy like 9/11 is what it would take to bring this country together again? Is it possible to become unified again without something like that happening?
Nope.

Liberals aren't fond of any sign of patriotism for any reason.

That was evident immediately after 9/11.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,638,883 times
I would be in favor of splitting the country in half. If you look at past history the south has never come around after the civil war. They are overly religious and pay very little. Very judgmental for the most part and very Republican. I think it would work. Just give the people 5 years to get to the country of their choice before closing the border. No way is the country ever going to be United. It all started with the radical TEA PARTY. Now, the liberals are getting more radical also. Just look at how the Republicans want to surprise the country with a new health plan, nobody's seen. Another slap in the face of the American public.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:57 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times
Funny, I've said on this forum before that I don't think another 9/11 style event would bring this country together. I don't think we'll ever get that back at this point. Just too much of a gulf between people now.

For those saying we should "split the country up", what good would that do? Then we'd just have a bunch more little countries that are just as divided as this one.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Nope.

The only thing another 9/11 SHOULD do is convince Americans of the futility (and stupidity) of our Middle Eastern policy.

But it wouldn't. We'd commit twice as hard to going to war, which would ultimately lead to more national infighting.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The plutocrats would love to pull off another 9/11 to get their war on.

But since we're already currently engaged in half a dozen conflicts, perhaps they will restrain themselves for the time being.
One can only hope.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:44 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
As automation and artificial intelligence eliminates more low-skilled and medium-skilled jobs, those who do manage to cling to a decent-paying job resent the "moochers," the folks who because of disabilities, limited skills/opportunity, or whatever are not able to provide for themselves at some level.

This health care fight is a perfect example. The idea that people who cannot get it organized to get a job with health care benefits should either find a free clinic or do without seems ludicrous to some and perfectly reasonable to others.

Another 9/11 isn't going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies