Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 12:40 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a religious liberty case concerning a Colorado cake artist who refused to make a cake for a same-sex couple's wedding reception, claiming that to do so violated his religious liberty under the Constitution. Lower courts have ruled against the baker among other businesses, stating that businesses must comply with anti-discrimination laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.2a0db94e99c9
I remember when this happened.
It will be interesting to see what th Supreme Court decides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The gay couple has a civil right to ask for a cake. They do not have a civil right to demand it.

Would you force a Jewish couple to bake a cake with a swastika on it for a Neo-Nazi rally?
If the bakery sells swastika cakes to the general public, then they can not refuse to sell them to a segment of the public. The bakery in the court case offers wedding cakes for sale in their shop, I'm pretty sure that a Jewish baker does not offer swastika cakes for sale in their shop.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
According to the First Amendment, he can. The Hobby Lobby case already set legal precedence.
The HL case had nothing to do with anti discrimination laws in public accommodations. The Piggy park case did, and the court ruled against him using "religious belief" to deny service. That is an apples to apples comparison.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. Just as there was no specific incidence of a Hobby Lobby employee or covered family member requesting coverage for abortifacients. It was a blanket denial by Hobby Lobby, et al, on religious grounds, and they won their case at SCOTUS.
The HL case had nothing to do with public accommodations and serving the public. Apples and oranges.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:45 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
If they overturn the lower court ruling and let businesses refuse service to customer based on religious beliefs, it will open up pandoras box. A business is not a person. People can still practice their religion from a personal perspective. Picking and choosing who to serve for whatever reason is morally wrong.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I think the Colorado cake artist is being a snowflake. Thought this had already been decided, but I guess not. It is actually not 100 % up to him. He does not run his business in a remote cave, but in society.

Would it be OK for a cake artist to refuse heterosexual couples a cake? No.

Would it be OK for a cake artist to refuse a Jewish person a cake? No.

Would it be OK for a cake artist to refuse Asian, Black or Mexican couples a cake? No.

So Pedro, you are basically saying a business owner can say "I don't sell to Mexicans. Please leave my establishment." Right? You said the business owner decides. I am saying that would be wrong.

Please reconsider. You may not have thought through the consequences of your generalization.
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

A baker should be able to refuse making a cake for anyone.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The HL case had nothing to do with anti discrimination laws in public accommodations. The Piggy park case did, and the court ruled against him using "religious belief" to deny service. That is an apples to apples comparison.
Again, that was a racial discrimination case. Race is a Federally protected class. LGBT is not.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
How do bars get by with posting a sign..........."We have the right to refuse service to anyone "
Bars may not refuse to serve based on race, color, religion or national origin and any other reasons defined by state law.

They have the right and obligation to decline service when someone is drunk and percieved as. Danger to themselves or others, under the legal drinking age and at capacity.

Then there are the case by case situations where a bar asks someone to leave because they are loitering or previously caused trouble or left without paying their tab.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Even if the Colorado cake artist wins (and hopefully he won't), I predict he loses. The negative publicity will be followed by a massive boycott. The guy is better served IMO to get over his bigotry and to quit being a drama king. Spend more time making cakes and less time in the court room.

It will be a classic case of "Be careful what you wish for".

(Was unable to access the link for more specifics, but am reasonably familiar with the incident. They want me to subscribe. Lol).

Old 06-26-2017, 12:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Even if the Colorado cake artist wins (and hopefully he won't), I predict he loses. The negative publicity will be followed by a massive boycott. The guy is better served IMO to get over his bigotry and to quit being a drama king. Spend more time making cakes and less time in the court room.

It will be a classic case of "Be careful what you wish for".
I hope he wins in a victory over the government determining association when there is no real damage to another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies