Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Why? Do you believe we are a democracy???
Fine, I'll bite. A representative republic is a form of democratic government, i.e. a democracy. It's not a direct democracy like Ancient Greece (disregarding their lack of universal suffrage), but a democracy nonetheless. To argue otherwise is just internet pedantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well I guess he loves people who seek the truth instead of passing continual lies like the NYT being Mexican owned, eh?

He owns about 17% of the NYT's publicly traded stock and (obviously) none of the privately traded stock. Since WHEN does owning a small percentage of anything constitute ownership as you repeatedly allege? Doesn't the same old lie get boring?
Apparently, not.

Thread after thread, post after post and nary a bit of truth to be found.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Apparently, not.

Thread after thread, post after post and nary a bit of truth to be found.

Gee, but maybe Trumplandia's not so bad if you can own a Ferrari for 17% of its value. And that's disregarding how tiny that 17% becomes when you factor in the privately held stock.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Fine, I'll bite. A representative republic is a form of democratic government, i.e. a democracy. It's not a direct democracy like Ancient Greece (disregarding their lack of universal suffrage), but a democracy nonetheless. To argue otherwise is just internet pedantry.
Democracy has no relationship to a Constitutional Republic other than people directly vote for their representatives. That is where the similarity ends. The will of the majority of voters has absolutely no power to create law or change the Constitution. Ultimately, it is the States representatives (or they were supposed to be) which are the supreme power, not the majority of people.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
After being on this site for some 8 years or so, I am sooooooo happy that we do not live in a democracy but rather we live (or are supposed to live) in a Constitutional Republic. Because people who think we are a democracy get to vote
We are a representative democracy and a constitutional republic.

DUHHHHH!

Old 06-27-2017, 03:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Democracy has no relationship to a Constitutional Republic other than people directly vote for their representatives. That is where the similarity ends. The will of the majority of voters has absolutely no power to create law or change the Constitution. Ultimately, it is the States representatives (or they were supposed to be) which are the supreme power, not the majority of people.
And various forms of parliamentary systems, unitary states, and all the other flavors of democratic governance say otherwise.
But as I said, internet pedantry.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And you base this on the opinions of two reporters from the Mexican owned blog called the NY Times?

Even you are forced to use the word "reportedly". i.e. It's fake news.
I said reportedly because the sources are anonymous. Doesn't mean it's not true.

We do know that a Trump-supporting PAC has already produced and intends to run an anti-Heller attack ad. Which actually would be beyond stupid. And McConnell would know that, even if you don't. So it's not so far-fetched that he would have said so to the WH.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
After being on this site for some 8 years or so, I am sooooooo happy that we do not live in a democracy but rather we live (or are supposed to live) in a Constitutional Republic. Because people who think we are a democracy get to vote
I was using democracy in the loose sense, as americans have traditionally used it to describe their constitutional republic. But Trump doesn't understand that either. Or he wouldn't think that fracturing a razor-thin R majority in the senate is a good way to get his bill passed.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I was using democracy in the loose sense, as americans have traditionally used it to describe their constitutional republic. But Trump doesn't understand that either. Or he wouldn't think that fracturing a razor-thin R majority in the senate is a good way to get his bill passed.

Have said this before, and it is worth repeating; His Orangeness has *ZERO* political experience having never held an elected office, much less the highest on in this land. His only exposure is running his own business affairs as the megalomaniac he is; that is DT tells people to jump and to kiss his behind (and keep their jobs) people do, that is now how politics works.

There are members of the senate and House that have been in office through several presidential administrations. Indeed over the past two decades or so self preservation has become risen in importance to senators and Congressmen, as such they aren't going to stick their necks out by voting against their district for anyone. That includes Donald Trump, something the man needs to make up his mind to and adjust himself to situation on the ground.

Long story short DT's usual bluster and insults won't get him far with the senate. Members of that body can and have told other presidents to go pound salt, even when that office was the same party as their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies