Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US taxpayers bail out Illinois when they default?
I'm not from Illinois and I want my tax money to bail out Illinois 10 9.09%
I'm not from Illinois and I don't want my tax money to bail out Illinois 93 84.55%
I'm from Illinois, please bail us out 0 0%
I'm from Illinois, let us reap what we have sown 7 6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:22 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
So Hitler, Stalin, etc. were not responsible for the plight of the millions that they slaughtered?
They were collectivists.

They advocated subjucating the individual to benefit the collective society. That is NOT right-wing ideology.

The word "fascism" includes fascis as its root. The meaning is "bundle" and it is used to represent collective power. Collectivism. Fascism. Left-wing at the very roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Absolutely not. Not a single dollar. They have been sewing this story for decade(s). They have pension recipients set to receive lifetime payouts of $10m. Illinois, Chicago, etc at the moment are ponzu schemes and racking up the bills with the intention of passing them to someone else.
The police pension fund should be depleted by 2021.

They're even eliminating some of the lottery games.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't understand why they just don't double a property tax that would fix everything.
Oh, HELL no!!!!!!

I'm already paying over $19,000/year on my Illinois home. Most of it goes to the school district, but note all the pensions I'm funding. And $1,000/year for a library? It isn't even that big:

Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
The Illinois legislature had an opportunity to address their deficit and instead they buried their heads in the sand and ignored the pension problems and raised taxes. This one belongs to Illinois and the voters who elected these fools.

The adults in Pennsylvania just addressed their pension problem Illinois did not.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,762 times
Goodnight - how did PA address their pension problem?

Informed Consent - yowser, your tax bill sucks. Thanks for posting it as it's interesting to see exactly where the funds go.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:23 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You sure? It might trigger a massive move out of Illinois which would have the effect of accelerating the inevitable.

So this does beg the question...is Illinois salvageable?
It's just about too late for the "massive move" -- they should have left a couple of years ago.
The handwriting has been on the wall for a lot of years. It was just a matter of time.

Same for California

Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Goodnight - how did PA address their pension problem?

Informed Consent - yowser, your tax bill sucks. Thanks for posting it as it's interesting to see exactly where the funds go.
Yep. Public employees don't realize that we fund their pensions. They think they magically appear out of nowhere.

What's interesting about my tax bill is the assessed fair market value of the land. It's almost as much as my house. It's only a 100' ☓ 200' lot.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm from Illinois. If we're bailed out then (nearly) everyone in government here should be canned. Actually, they should be canned regardless of what happens.

John Kass (I call him Jack) of the Chicago Tribune wrote a funny article about chopping it up and giving it away to various states. Where I live, we'd be incorporated into Wisconsin, for example.

I'm sure that would thrill my neighbor to the north, AminWI.
I read the article last week .....

What to do with a broken Illinois: Dissolve the Land of Lincoln |Chicago Tribune
Illinois hasn't had a state budget for years. The state continues to spend money it doesn't have, and the state's credit ratings have dropped, increasing the cost of borrowing more money we don't have to keep the rotten shebang going.

Bills pile up; Moody's Investor Service says taxpayers are on the hook for $251 billion in unfunded public union pension liabilities.

Sadly, Wisconsin probably won't want Rahm, either. So to spare hurt feelings, I propose carving out 40 acres around the mayor's home so Rahm might be prince of his own country: Rahmonia.

And Cook County Board President Toni "Taxwinkle" Preckwinkle will fight it, too, so she needs something to soothe her ambitions: A grant of land as large as a case of the soda pop she taxes, so that she might stand on it and proclaim herself Queen of Taxwinkletopia.

If there are portions of Illinois that the other states don't want, they may be left as federal territory, a wilderness where only the strong survive and peasants and friendly propagandists kneel and beg for crumbs. You already know the name of this wasteland: Madiganistan.

I doubt you will hear of a better plan than the Dissolution Plan.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
There's no doubt that Illinois is going to default on their financial obligations. Should the US taxpayers set a precedent to bail out states that have acted irrresponsibly to cause them to default on their financial obligations?
No, since a bailout would only serve to increase fiscal irresponsibility in the several States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
No, Illinois should serve as the poster child for what happens when a state behaves irresponsibly and is reckless with taxpayer money.
Yes, it should. I can't think of a better way to scare States straight into fiscal responsibility.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Thanks, Kibby - that's the one!

Tall Traveler, didn't you live in IL for a short period of time? If so, I'm assuming it was pre-financial mess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies