Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:27 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The most serious cases of murder result in ‘Whole Life Order’ in the UK, whereby you will never be released.

In terms of murder the judge normally sets a minumum requirement that must be served before a person can even apply for parole, the minimum usually takes in to account the seriousness of the offence, and can vary, however 30 ands 40 years minimum are often applied for serious crimes. Whilst even when you have served the minimum requirement there is no guarantee that you will ever be paroled.

However if you are paroled, you have to report to the probation service and live by any restrictions imposed for the rest of your life and you can be recalled back to prison if you fail to do so.
Similar to here I guess, but many murderers end up with life without parole sentences, which I think is even worse than the death penalty. Most criminals are young, so these people are looking at spending the next fifty or sixty years in prison. We even recently had an incident where two lifers killed four separate inmates. This article says motive is unknown, but the one I read the other day said they wanted the death penalty so they killed these inmates and then told a guard. The problem with life with no parole sentencing is that they have nothing to lose.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcne...prison-n744076
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Similar to here I guess, but many murderers end up with life without parole sentences, which I think is even worse than the death penalty. Most criminals are young, so these people are looking at spending the next fifty or sixty years in prison. We even recently had an incident where two lifers killed four separate inmates. This article says motive is unknown, but the one I read the other day said they wanted the death penalty so they killed these inmates and then told a guard. The problem with life with no parole sentencing is that they have nothing to lose.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcne...prison-n744076

Man jailed for 30 years for acid attack | UK news | The Guardian

If this is indeed proved to be a hate crime, then the Judge will have even greater powers in relation to sentencing, so hopefully these vile individuals who have done this are locked away for a very very long time.

Racial or Religious Aggravation - Approach to Sentencing - Sentencing Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentencing Council UK

The minimum term for murder is based on the starting points set out in Schedule 21 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 (as amended). This schedule sets out examples of the different types of cases and the starting point which would usually be applied, for example, where the murder is committed with a knife or other weapon, the starting point is 25 years.

For the most serious cases, an offender may be sentenced to a life sentence with a ‘whole life order.’ This means that their crime was so serious that they will never be released from prison.

Life sentences - Sentencing Council

Types of prison sentences: Indeterminate prison sentences - no fixed length

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-30-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
East London acid attack: Image of suspect released - BBC News

Not to make light of this, but, would this not count as cultural appropriation?
You are making light of it which is pretty disgusting.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We need to ban ARs.
I say we keep AR's but simply ban the hi-cap magazines. Let's end racism today!.........hugs, unicorns, rainbows!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM

983 posts, read 738,532 times
I find it funny that the U.K will go hard on this guy while letting ISIS men and women roam free.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:06 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I find it funny that the U.K will go hard on this guy while letting ISIS men and women roam free.
Oh really? So if a member of ISIS commits an act of terror & is caught, they just let him go, huh? That's what you're saying?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
This guy should be sent away to fight ISIS since he liked to play "hero" so much!

Seriously, pick on people your own size. If you want to fight extreme islamic terrorist, sign up and become a soldier.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yep, you got that right. Another crazy white racist that no one wants to talk about.
The "personal responsibility" goes right out the window when it's one of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yeah cover up your ears, put blinders on, and don't consider that there are posters there that might be giving you some good information.
Well done.
Good information?

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:23 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
You can only push people so far before they retaliate...I have no idea if the attacker knew the victims, however direct or indirect retaliation will continue until the government over their cracks down on the no-go zones and actually appears interested in protecting the citizens from the jihadists.
What is wrong with you?

Old 06-30-2017, 11:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What is wrong with you?
Nothing, just pointing out human nature. Many people over there feel like their government is not protecting them from the animal invading hordes. So if the government does not stop the violence from the violent immigrants, the people will take matters into their own hands. Wait until America starts having its own no-go zones. (although we do have quite a few of them in our inner cities already)

If you think that I am somehow approving of what happened in this case, you are misreading me. I do not know enough about the aggressor or the victims to make such a judgement. I am just pointing out the obvious human reaction when humans feel under siege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies