Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:10 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Not only are you two completely clueless with this nonsense you've posted, you seem to enjoy it and wallow in it.

Try Google for once, before you post ignorance.
No, I do not enjoy Kap the Clown and his Minstrel Show.

I think it a sophomoric response to a pretty damn serious issue. And I gave good reasons why.

If that means I am clueless rest assured I can live with it.

Some of us are not intoxicated by empty-headed celebrities.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:17 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, I do not enjoy Kap the Clown and his Minstrel Show.

I think it a sophomoric response to a pretty damn serious issue. And I gave good reasons why.

If that means I am clueless rest assured I can live with it.

Some of us are not intoxicated by empty-headed celebrities.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...test-donations

That's 700,000 good reasons for his 'sophomoric' behavior.

Bet you can't even name 24 charitable organizations.

But hey, if you're good with wallowing in ignorance and laziness, then good for you.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...test-donations

That's 700,000 good reasons for his 'sophomoric' behavior.

Bet you can't even name 24 charitable organizations.

But hey, if you're good with wallowing in ignorance and laziness, then good for you.
Good for him. He wrote some checks.

Now if he would just shut up!

Old 06-30-2017, 10:39 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Kap is not that good,
He doesn't want a job as a backup.
He wants starter type salary.
Plus he makes fans mad.
The teams have the right not to hire anyone that they think will be a distraction.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:57 AM

590 posts, read 554,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
If you thought political activism among NFL players ended with the shunning of Colin Kaepernick, you couldn't be more wrong.
"What Colin Kaepernick did is just the spark," Eagles defender Malcolm Jenkins said Monday. "What's coming after that is going to be a bigger wave, a more collective and concerted effort to use this platform of sports to try to make some change."
That's not idle talk. Political activism in football, and across sports in general, is about to become better organized, informed, directed and supported. It will become impossible to ignore or marginalize. The groundwork is already in place. The small circle of "activist athletes" is about to grow considerably.

Kaepernick Controversy Has NFL Players Searching for Louder Voice in Society | Bleacher Report
Kaepernick was fired from the 49 'ers because of his poor performance as a quarterback, not for his misguided political activism.

The NFL is in business for football, not politics.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:00 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Shut up and play ball.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Good for him. He wrote some checks.

Now if he would just shut up!
I'd ask what you've done, but you've embarrassed yourself enough.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Kaepernick was fired from the 49 'ers because of his poor performance as a quarterback, not for his misguided political activism.

The NFL is in business for football, not politics.
It's a business.

So if an owner has a choice between backup "A" who is clean cut and causes no problems, and backup CK who would annoy a bunch of the fan base, and maybe even some of his teammates - what would the smart business decision be?

Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's a business.

So if an owner has a choice between backup "A" who is clean cut and causes no problems, and backup CK who would annoy a bunch of the fan base, and maybe even some of his teammates - what would the smart business decision be?
The QB who can win games, regardless of what he does outside of the field.

Teams that win=make fans happy=fans buy more tickets/merchandise=team and organization make more money.

I don't understand what's difficult about this.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
NFL guys do PLENTY for their communities. The communities they come from AND where they play. Moreover, not every NFL player comes from a community in dire need. Kaepernick is from a nice community in California's Central Valley.

And taking a knee isn't turning your back on your country. You guys have a twisted view of what it is to be an American citizen. Citizenship isn't about being a sycophant. You're supposed to stand up against perceived injustice. Ignoring it just because you make money is cowardice at worst, insensitive at best.

There has always been politics in sport. Jackie Robinson was extremely political. Joe Louis was political. Jim Brown was political. Muhammad Ali was political.

That was ok then, but out of bounds now? Nonsense.
you are right, and the athletes you noted did what they did, but they ALWAYS respected the flag and the national anthem. they did what they did in the right way by putting the focus on the issue at hand and not themselves. ali refused to join the military based on his religious beliefs, and he paid the price for it, stripped of his title among other things;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Quote:
In 1966, two years after winning the heavyweight title, Ali further antagonized the white establishment by refusing to be drafted into the U.S. military, citing his religious beliefs and opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War.[12][14] He was eventually arrested, found guilty of draft evasion charges, and stripped of his boxing titles. He successfully appealed the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court, which overturned his conviction in 1971, by which time he had not fought for nearly four years and thereby lost a period of peak performance as an athlete. Ali's actions as a conscientious objector to the war made him an icon for the larger counterculture generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
bullcrap. All he did was kneel during the anthem. It was the most out of site out of mind "protesting" you can do. It only became a thing because of idiot "fake patroits" were fake outraged. All people had to do was ignore Kaepernick.
thats right, all kaepernick did was take a knee DURING the national anthem. it was his way of protesting, and i respect that. however what he did took the focus off the issue he was trying to get out and up for debate, and put the focus on HIM. it would have been far better for him to have staged a peaceful sit in at the local police station, get arrested, and then while being interviewed get his message out.

Quote:
Kudos to the players for organizing and rallying around their colleague. I hope lots of people that support police brutality come out the woodwork and expose themselves over this too. And if need be, I hope the players go so far as to walk-out on the season if things don't change. As big a football fan as i am, we don't HAVE to have a season for all i care. Hurt their pocketbooks. All the revenue these games generate would have a significant impact on these cities.
yes, organize and get the message out into the public. let the people know that police brutality is wrong, but do it right. organize PEACEFUL protests around the country. get on the talk shows and speak out against brutality, go into the neighborhoods and teach the people that the time to resist the cops is not on the side of the road where you will lose every time, but rather in the courts where you stand a good chance of winning. get the people to equip themselves with video cameras and record the police doing their jobs.

my point is, and always has been, you want to fight the system? go ahead, but do it right. do it with in the system itself. get the message out into the public, get the message out into the halls of power, IE let city hall know that you are watching. be willing to be a witness should you see the police acting badly, and that even means talking to internal affairs.

get your local jurisdiction to set up a review board that has not only police on the board, but civilians also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies