Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
24 Democrats voted for Kate's Law in the House. Effectively breaking the stalemate and seeing Democrats finally voting WITH Republicans on a piece of legislation.

Another bill, which would deny federal grants to sanctuary cities, passed with a vote of 228-195 with 3 Democrats voting yes. See above re: Ds and Rs working together.

Finally, the SC upheld in a 9-0 decision to reinstate part of Trumps travel ban.

Have you seen protests at the airports? Protests in the streets over these issues as they climb the food chain? Neither have I. Are we talking about these issues and their progress through the food chain? No. We're talking about a wrestling tweet.

Some of us who voted for Trump are not easily distracted. We're watching. We're paying attention. We're amused by wrestling videos. Amused by a media who continues to buckle under the pressure of increasing irrelevance (which they brought on themselves). But mostly, some of us are very focused on the issues that are important to us and Trumps moves to fulfill those promises now that we elected him into office.
Kate's Law is really not that controversial to the average person. No one voting for it is hiding from the fact that they did so.

The Sanctuary Cites bill is punitive garbage and will likely die in the Senate. It's for law enforcement and the Feds expecting local police to do their job amounts to an unfunded mandate.

The real story of the travel ban ruling was that we have three Supreme Court justices that fully embrace the notion of an imperial Presidency, and don't have a lot of use for large sections of the Constitution. The dissenting argument on that ruling is not a pleasant read.

But, yes we are talking about a stupid gif.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL because obamas executive orders were horrible... his executive orders did nothing to benefit anyone working, anyone in industry, anyone in production.

If we had continued going down obamas path with Clinton it wouldn't be the United States of America anymore.
It'd be the divided welfare states of america. I can only think of maybe a handful of things that he signed that had any benefit to the country.
Yeah, sure.

Ya'll take hypocrisy to a whole new level.

But Trump's signing the order allowing companies to pollute our water again - just just dandy with you. OR allowing internet providers to sell your browsing history - again A-OK with you.

Hypocrites.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah, sure.

Ya'll take hypocrisy to a whole new level.

But Trump's signing the order allowing companies to pollute our water again - just just dandy with you. OR allowing internet providers to sell your browsing history - again A-OK with you.

Hypocrites.
LOL which executive order declares water ways a place to dump toxic waste. You go on and prove it post your finding. I want it in text. Right here.

Go get the document and bold where it states water can be polluted go on.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
The POTUS hardly uses "all" his time tweeting. Do you know how long it takes type 140 characters?
How long did it take hit to doctor the video of him violently attacking 'CNN'?

Maybe I should not say "all his time". He does spend time playing golf and screaming at his TV too.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Kate's Law is really not that controversial to the average person. No one voting for it is hiding from the fact that they did so.

The Sanctuary Cites bill is punitive garbage and will likely die in the Senate. It's for law enforcement and the Feds expecting local police to do their job amounts to an unfunded mandate.

The real story of the travel ban ruling was that we have three Supreme Court justices that fully embrace the notion of an imperial Presidency, and don't have a lot of use for large sections of the Constitution. The dissenting argument on that ruling is not a pleasant read.

But, yes we are talking about a stupid gif.
You're right. It likely isn't that controversial to the average person, and yet last July Democrats voted against it and we watched the bill die. Democrats THEN, said the bill was anti-immigrant and would hurt local communities. Civil rights groups lobbied Democrats to oppose the bill, arguing it would damage the ability of police to build trust with immigrant communities.

Last July Democrats also blocked a second related bill, the "Stop Illegal Reentry Act," which would require mandatory minimum sentences standards for those who have been deported and then come back into the United States illegally and were convicted of an aggravated felony.

You stated that Kates Law wasn't controversial with "average people" and yet Democrats threw a wrench into it anyway. The fact is that some Ds broke ranks this time round and voted with Republicans to easily get it through the house. THAT is big news.

Re: your comments on the SC. Everyone who was engaged in this past national election knew what the stakes were related to the SC. One of the primary reasons I voted for Trump. Trump will be gone in 4 or 8 years. The SC will remain. Likely with one or two additional conservative leaning justices in the mix.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And the president using all his time to play with the media as opposed to doing his job is supposed to be a good thing

Get rid of that fool, and put Pence in.
Maybe you cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. But don't project your problems on others, that far exceed your drive and accomplishments in life.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL which executive order declares water ways a place to dump toxic waste. You go on and prove it post your finding. I want it in text. Right here.

Go get the document and bold where it states water can be polluted go on.
Here ya go and don't ask for another one because ~ 1. I'm not your google money and 2. I'm headed for a relaxing day at the pool.

Donald Trump overturns law preventing companies dumping coal mining debris in streams and rivers | The Independent

Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
You're right. It likely isn't that controversial to the average person, and yet last July Democrats voted against it and we watched the bill die. Democrats THEN, said the bill was anti-immigrant and would hurt local communities. Civil rights groups lobbied Democrats to oppose the bill, arguing it would damage the ability of police to build trust with immigrant communities.

Last July Democrats also blocked a second related bill, the "Stop Illegal Reentry Act," which would require mandatory minimum sentences standards for those who have been deported and then come back into the United States illegally and were convicted of an aggravated felony.

You stated that Kates Law wasn't controversial with "average people" and yet Democrats threw a wrench into it anyway. The fact is that some Ds broke ranks this time round and voted with Republicans to easily get it through the house. THAT is big news.
I think Democrats are learning that abating illegal immigration is not a popular thing, even in blue districts.

But what about the Sanctuary Cities bill? There's nothing conservative about it. It's just punitive and bad.

Quote:
Re: your comments on the SC. Everyone who was engaged in this past national election knew what the stakes were related to the SC. One of the primary reasons I voted for Trump. Trump will be gone in 4 or 8 years. The SC will remain. Likely with one or two additional conservative leaning justices in the mix.
Alito and Thomas are not conservative leaning. They are hard-right ideologues that have little use for separation of powers. And if Gorsech's opinions to date are reflective of Trump's choices for the Supreme Court the majority could go for hard-right authoritarianism that will take decades to recover from, if we ever do. Right now Kennedy and are Robert's are the only somewhat tempered conservatives on the bench.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Here ya go and don't ask for another one because ~ 1. I'm not your google money and 2. I'm headed for a relaxing day at the pool.

Donald Trump overturns law preventing companies dumping coal mining debris in streams and rivers | The Independent
This pertains to mining/sourcing coal. If it's dumping dirt/clay/silt I don't see an issue.

However... I'm from NY. For years democrat leadership turned a blind eye to GE dumping PCBs in the Hudson River and it was Republican George Pataki who ordered the dredging of the river...

I read the proposition and no where in it does it state whether or not coal debris is being dumped. So if its dumping dirt/clay/silt what's the issue unless it dams up waterways?

Old 07-03-2017, 11:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How long did it take hit to doctor the video of him violently attacking 'CNN'?

Maybe I should not say "all his time". He does spend time playing golf and screaming at his TV too.
Trump "meme'd" you....
Then you guys go to the extreme, to make a false point.

Trump body slammed CNN.... again.

Trump is President, and you're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies