Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

I was curious since Donald Trump is from New York City and is a huge property owner there if he has higher favorable ratings than McCain, Bush Sr, Romney and Reagan?

I also notice that DeBlasio tends to be more warm towards Trump than Garcetti in Los Angeles.

I wonder if the reason why New Yorkers are so neutral on Trump is because it is the financial capital of the planet and it has had a massive increase under Trump.

Los Angeles politicians for instance tend to love to make negative statements about how Trump runs the country. Yet, New York politicians tend to seen fairly neutral on Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:25 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Oh man, NY loves Trump. Just watch how many people showed up after he got elected.

NYC hates Donald Trump.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:26 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Well, former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg's take on Trump is: "I'm from New York, I know a con-man when I see one"

Old 07-04-2017, 03:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times
Is it fairly popular for people to have Trump bumper stickers on their cars in New York City?

Is it fairly common to see Trump signs from yards in New York City?

I saw lots of Trump bumper stickers for instance in Orange County, but didn't see a Trump bumper sticker in Los Angeles. I have not been in that area since the Spring but I was surprised by how Trump stickers on cars in Orange County.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
No I'm not sure where you are getting your source that NewYorkers like him. He has few friends and only runs in the big money lane... Not real friends.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:46 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
NYC is largely Democrat, but in generally, New Yorkers have hated Trump for a long time. Real businessmen, good businessmen, realized what an incompetent fraud Trump was and stopped dealing with him. That's something that never sunk in with most Trump supporters. (That's supposed to be one reason that he was driven to start asking for money from Russia. Local people here rebuffed him.)

Also, although there have certainly been wealthy people who have been wonderful to NYC and have been beloved (like Brooke Astor), Trump certainly isn't one of them.

You might get a better response asking in in the NYC forum, though.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:57 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Is it fairly popular for people to have Trump bumper stickers on their cars in New York City?

I saw lots of Trump bumper stickers for instance in Orange County, but didn't see a Trump bumper sticker in Los Angeles. I have not been in that area since the Spring but I was surprised by how Trump stickers on cars in Orange County.
Orange County is Republican.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:08 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:

Yards in nyc? That is more uncommon than not

Old 07-04-2017, 04:45 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg's take on Trump is: "I'm from New York, I know a con-man when I see one"

Bloomberg is "from New York" by way of Boston, MA (where he was born/raised), and in his way is just as much a megalomaniac and "con man" as DT.

The man spent vast sums and efforts both before his initial run for mayor of NYC, during all three of his terms, and afterwards protecting his so called privacy. Meanwhile there was much chatter in certain circles just what Bloomberg was going to great lengths to protect.

Major case in point at the end of his ill gotten third term as mayor Bloomberg hired his entire NYPD security detail away from the city. Some put in retirement papers and thus are collecting pensions as well as salary from Bloomberg, LLC, others just simply quit NYPD. All had to sign confidentiality agreements when joining Bloomberg's company that covered not only what they would see or whatever going forward as employees of Michael Bloomberg, but any and every thing else they witnessed *BEFORE*. That last bit covers the entire 12 years or so they were part of then mayor Bloomberg's security detail.

Bloomberg used his money to thwart many things he either didn't like or wanted to get done in NYC or NYS politics. Famously threatening those who opposed him that funds to their election coffers would cease if they didn't toe the line. Somehow the board in charge of monitoring NYC elected officials saw nothing wrong with Bloomberg using his vast private fortune to basically buy what he wanted as mayor.

Michael Bloomberg famously used his money and influence to push through an overturn of recently enacted term limits for NYC elected officials. His view was then and still now that *HE* was the only proper candidate for mayor of NYC and that two terms was "not enough".

Though the man won re-election the vote was closer than he and supporters predicted and thus upon taking that ill gotten third term Bloomberg and the city council reinstated term limits, but only after they had gotten most of what they wanted.

If Michael Bloomberg had his way he'd still be mayor of NYC and would continue in that office until death do they part.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
I was curious since Donald Trump is from New York City and is a huge property owner there if he has higher favorable ratings than McCain, Bush Sr, Romney and Reagan?

I also notice that DeBlasio tends to be more warm towards Trump than Garcetti in Los Angeles.

I wonder if the reason why New Yorkers are so neutral on Trump is because it is the financial capital of the planet and it has had a massive increase under Trump.

Los Angeles politicians for instance tend to love to make negative statements about how Trump runs the country. Yet, New York politicians tend to seen fairly neutral on Trump.

DT is widely reviled in NYC and much of NYS both before and certainly after his election to WH.

The only NYC districts His Orangeness carried here were out on Staten Island (famously republican/conservative and responsible for giving Rudy Giuliani both of his mayoral wins), and IIRC one or two in Brooklyn and or Queens. Everyone else voted (often in great numbers) for HC.

Bill de Blasio is an idiot who thanks the saints and Mother Mary each morning upon arising at his good luck in becoming mayor of NYC. He won that office with the lowest turnout of any election in recent memory. This is saying something considering the famously high levels of voter apathy in NYC and NYS.

This being said NYC's budget depends upon large amounts of federal funding. This includes many of the liberal/progressive/democrat social spending that is near and dear to BdeB's heart. As such it is more the office than the man any mayor of NYC must cozy up to in Washington, D.C.

If DT tells NYC to "Drop Dead" and carries out even a fraction of the budget cuts he campaigned upon/announced it would put NYC's budget into a major tailspin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies