Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 02:05 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times

Advertisements

A 7000 word article in NY Magazine describes all the bad things that can come from global warming.

Already there are dozens of articles both praising and condemning the article.

Have a read.

When Will Climate Change Make the Earth Too Hot For Humans?

Here is a teaser:

"It is, I promise, worse than you think. If your anxiety about global warming is dominated by fears of sea-level rise, you are barely scratching the surface of what terrors are possible, even within the lifetime of a teenager today."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:52 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Funny how meteorologists have trouble predicting tomorrow's weather with any accuracy, but can tell you that we will warm up by .7 degrees C over the next 100 years.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:19 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
One of my biggest take aways from the article was the term “fossil capitalism” .

Specifically, the wealth of the 19th and 20th century is really all due to the discovery and extraction of massive amounts of fuel.

My own job and and income for years was based around the combustion of fuels and turning oil into plastic.

Rather than being so pessimistic as the author, I have reason to be optimistic when thinking there is a ton of possible fuel out there largely untapped that can fuel society into the future.

I already am 100% solar power myself for all my electric needs.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
A 7000 word article in NY Magazine describes all the bad things that can come from global warming.
You should see all of the bad things than can come from global cooling.

During the Mini-Ice Age, Millions of Central Europeans died of famine, and there were famine-like conditions in the American Colonies.

During the last Inter-Glacial Period, the average global temperature were 10.4°F warmer than present, and in the Inter-Glacial Period before that, average global temperatures were 13.3°F warmer than present. In both instances Humans managed to survive.

During the MS11 -- the Inter-Glacial Period before the previous one -- sea levels were 9 meters to as much as 24 meters higher than present.

It's all part-and-parcel of Inter-Glacial Periods, so you all just need to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies