Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As CEO, what would you do with CNN?
Stay the course. Fighting Trump is fun and sells air time. 11 18.97%
Fake news sells quite well. Expand Fake News stories and stop all pretense of real news. 8 13.79%
Change the name to CEN; Cable Entertainment Network with a byline of "We hate Trump". 8 13.79%
Sell the company to George Soros. 1 1.72%
Start reporting facts with NO agenda. 31 53.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:49 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

They clearly need a corporate strategy and have several options. As CEO, your responsibility is to deliver the most value to your shareholders. So what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:53 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
If CNN's ratings and profitability is steady(which I believe it is) stay on course. The recent Veritas videos are preaching to the choir, I don't think a significant amount of current CNN viewers will alter their viewing habits. Most will simply not watch the entire Veritas videos, even those who do will most likely continue.

CNN still has the strong brand recognition and reputation, you can argue if it is warranted or not. But hospitals, banks, large corporate buildings will still have CNN on all day.

So politics and moral aside, I think CNN should continue. Hit on Russia hard, attack Trump, support liberal movements, etc

Old 07-07-2017, 12:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
The pathology of corporations usually starts at the top so the CEO shouldn't be expected to do anything since he obviously doesn't have a problem with any of this.

Turner Broadcasting Systems* should fire the CEO and those in front of the camera engaging in all this b.s., perhaps all of the C-suite, issue an apology and hire some good P.R. people to help them rebrand in an effort to save their image.

*CNN is a division of TBS, not a division of Time Warner

Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
I have no idea what it takes to be a CEO. But I'd make a few changes:

1. No more sensationalism

2. More balanced editorial

3. segments of just news sans editorial

4. Room for public comment when appropriate

[edited to condense points]

Last edited by TheDusty; 07-07-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 01:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The pathology of corporations usually starts at the top so the CEO shouldn't be expected to do anything since he obviously doesn't have a problem with any of this.

Turner Broadcasting Systems* should fire the CEO and those in front of the camera engaging in all this b.s., perhaps all of the C-suite, issue an apology and hire some good P.R. people to help them rebrand in an effort to save their image.

Ugh. Most of this over my head.

I say stay the course for pure entertainment value.

Also, more Brooke Baldwin!

Old 07-07-2017, 01:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ugh. Most of this over my head.

I say stay the course for pure entertainment value.

Also, more Brooke Baldwin!

You're the CEO of your company so there's nothing over your head.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Seeing as how the parent company's stock values have not been affected by the current CNN "controversy", there's no need to step in or do anything.

Quote:
CNN is a division of TBS which is a division of Time Warner.

And Time Warner's stock is doing just fine.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:09 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
You dont have to like them. Change the channel if CNN offends you. Conservatives watch Fox anyway. Be the liberal Fox.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Trump supporters only legitimatize CNN by critiquing everything they do. Obviously they think it's important enough that they have to respond. CNN is now more relevant than ever, I'm sure they love the free publicity.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:15 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They clearly need a corporate strategy and have several options. As CEO, your responsibility is to deliver the most value to your shareholders. So what say you?
Krauthammer put it best when he said "CNN used to be a boring news network that could be trusted, now they are a boring news network that can't be trusted"

I'd try news without bias. All news agencies are supposed to be apolitical, the watchdogs of politicians for the public, not an arm of a political party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Trump supporters only legitimatize CNN by critiquing everything they do. Obviously they think it's important enough that they have to respond. CNN is now more relevant than ever, I'm sure they love the free publicity.
I'm not sure how all that adds up, but okay.

Quote:
But TBS is a division of Time Warner.

Among its major assets are HBO, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW, Warner Bros., CNN, DC Comics, and as of August 2016, Hulu, owning 10%. In the past, other major divisions of Time Warner included Time Inc., AOL, Time Warner Cable, Warner Books and Warner Music Group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies