Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should declawing cats be legal?
Yes, the cat is my property so I can do what I want with it. 40 36.36%
No. If you're that worried about your couch, don't get a cat. And if it's vicious, surrender the cat to the local ASPCA/pound 70 63.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:21 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Cats would never willfully submit to those painful procedures if they had the choice.

It's completely hypocrisy.
No it's not. Once the incisions from a spay or neuter heal there is no pain, unlike when part of a weight-bearing part of the body is removed (ever hear of "phantom pain?". Added bonus is that they don't suffer from feeling sexual urges that they cannot satisfy (and it is extremely irresponsible to allow unfettered mating due to the enormous cat population that already exists), their behavior/nature is a lot calmer and more conducive to household living and they are not always trying to escape to find a mate, and several cancers are prevented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This thread is one of the most hypocritical I have seen.

If cutting off your pets' balls for your own pleasure is perfectly acceptable, I don't see anything else you do to your pets can be any worse.
As has already been EXPLAINED to you several times, it is NOT for the human's pleasure that s/n is practiced. There is already a huge cat and dog population in this country that doesn't need to get any bigger. It is also healthier for the animals, as their are several cancers of the reproductive system (and mammary cancer in females) that is prevented by s/n. They don't miss the organs that are removed, and they are a lot happier not having to go through heat cycles (or if they are males, trying to locate the females who they sense that are in heat) without being able to relieve their sexual urges.

Stop being so deliberately obtuse and educate yourself on the subject!

Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Never really thought about it, although it is illegal to declaw in the UK.

Caught in the Claws of UK Cat Culture: How This American Learned to Live With Non-Declawed Cats | HuffPost

And in MANY other European countries as well.

Of course, I like to tweak the noses of the folks from the UK I meet in these discussions and remind them that they think it bizarre to keep cats indoors. If they were to come visit some American cities they wouldn't think it so bizarre. There have been some horrific cases of animal abuse in my area alone, say nothing of the rest of the country. Buster's Law, the law that makes aggravated animal cruelty a felony in NY State (one of the first laws of its kind in the country) was named after a stray cat that was set on fire.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I know plenty of people who treat their pets like crap and don't declaw them. Or give them proper veterinary care. Or feed them the best foods. Or give them a safe, comfortable home free of drugs, violence, and drama.

I think that people should mind their own business unless these animals are in true danger.

Yes, it's better to avoid it if you can, but it's hysteria to think that it's a sign of abuse or neglect.
I'd rep you if I could but I have to spread the love.

You are correct. There are much worse things than declawing to get worked up about WRT pet caretakers. A friend was complaining to me just last night that she was over a friend's house that just reeked because the cat's box had not been scooped in weeks. That friend was complaining to her that the cat was pooping in the hallway and talking about having to get rid of the cat.

When I lived in Detroit there was a family that was always getting kittens and then throwing the animals out when they got pregnant. I've seen dogs left chained in yards. Every day people dump unwanted animals and leave them to fend for themselves without the skills to make it in the wild. My cat may be declawed but she is well fed, she gets vetted on a regular basis (she needs medication twice a day so she sees the vet twice a year for blood work), she's warm and dry and loved. She's much better off than the cat i'm getting in two weeks who is lucky my niece found him. She found the cat I have now the same way. She was a stray. She started feeding her and got her acclimated to being around people and then I took her.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So teach the little brats how to properly treat animals and they won't have to worry about being scratched! Any kid who pulls a cat's tail or otherwise treats a cat like it is a stuffed animal that moves and breaths on its own deserves what they get back.
Eh. I was afraid of cats as a kid, so I certainly wasn't petting them, let alone pestering or even touching them, and I nevertheless have an arm and shoulder full of faint old claw scars from a nasty housecat ambush attacking me when I was 5 or 6. It's not like they're the most predictable animals.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Yep, it should be illegal

Declawing cats is a sickness -a sign of soft weak people, that can't handle real nature.

The sort of softies that declaw cats, are the sort of people best suited to life in the City of Domes.

They are the same people, who would like everyone banned from owning firearms.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:45 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Would we all like to have our fingernails removed? Might need some painkillers for that. Claws mean more to cats than fingernails do to us. They make some kind of caps you can attach to the claws so they aren't sharp. Or trim them.

Also, docking dogs tails and ears, I can't believe they still do it.
My foreskin was removed without my consent, and without benefit of fentanyl. Let's worry about maiming humans before we worry about cats.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And in MANY other European countries as well.

Of course, I like to tweak the noses of the folks from the UK I meet in these discussions and remind them that they think it bizarre to keep cats indoors. If they were to come visit some American cities they wouldn't think it so bizarre. There have been some horrific cases of animal abuse in my area alone, say nothing of the rest of the country. Buster's Law, the law that makes aggravated animal cruelty a felony in NY State (one of the first laws of its kind in the country) was named after a stray cat that was set on fire.
from:http://www.mobilespca.org/Portals/0/...20or%20Out.pdf

"The expected lifespan of an indoor-outdoor cat will depend on several factors, including the type of neighborhood you live in and sheer luck. But, on average, cats who are allowed to roam outdoors often don't live to see age five. Cats who are always kept safely confined can live to be 18 to 20 years old."

That is so weird. Get your panties in a wad over declawing which does not impact life expectancy and leave your cat outside to get in fights, get hit by a car or become lunch for some other animal. Perhaps the reason we declaw and they don't is we keep our cats safely indoors.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd rep you if I could but I have to spread the love.

You are correct. There are much worse things than declawing to get worked up about WRT pet caretakers. A friend was complaining to me just last night that she was over a friend's house that just reeked because the cat's box had not been scooped in weeks. That friend was complaining to her that the cat was pooping in the hallway and talking about having to get rid of the cat.

When I lived in Detroit there was a family that was always getting kittens and then throwing the animals out when they got pregnant. I've seen dogs left chained in yards. Every day people dump unwanted animals and leave them to fend for themselves without the skills to make it in the wild. My cat may be declawed but she is well fed, she gets vetted on a regular basis (she needs medication twice a day so she sees the vet twice a year for blood work), she's warm and dry and loved. She's much better off than the cat i'm getting in two weeks who is lucky my niece found him. She found the cat I have now the same way. She was a stray. She started feeding her and got her acclimated to being around people and then I took her.
I think the big-picture issue is "does the pet owner take good care of this pet and love it." Period.

I have seen people who could not afford pets with several chained out in the yards or with cats that roamed the streets to wind up dead due to cars or larger animals. People who euthanized animals immediately instead of getting them surgery that could cure their illnesses/injuries because they could not afford treatment... the list goes on.

Our elder cat racks up a hefty vet bill every month. She's had more tests and screenings than a good many human beings I know and she's treated like a princess. If someone just saw her and knew nothing about us and saw that she had no claws, they might make a wide variety of assumptions about her and about us and none of them would be accurate unless they were complimentary because you'd be hard pressed to find an animal treated better or cared for with more love and attention. We lost our youngest cat a little over a year ago to an acute episode that had gone undetected (she was never sick and then, suddenly she was very ill) and the surgery and emergency care went into the 10s of thousands before we were done and we didn't stop until there were NO other options.

So, yes... I guess, by the rationale in this thread, since we own a cat who has no claws, we should never have owned any others because we are abusive (even though the choice to declaw her wasn't mine and I met her after she had no claws... though I would declaw a cat under the right circumstances), but when the head of a prominent vet school tells you that you have done more than over 99% of pet owners would EVER do to try to save your 3yo cat, I dare a judgmental jerk to tell me we are not good pet owners.

Our pets are part of our family and we love them dearly. I see people on the internet all the time wanting to ditch a cat or rehome an animal who isn't behaving up to their standards or isn't cute because it's no longer a kitten. And those cats all tend to have claws.

So, yeah... until everyone learns to be a better pet owner, I think we have larger issues than declawing to tackle in this country.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
My foreskin was removed without my consent, and without benefit of fentanyl. Let's worry about maiming humans before we worry about cats.
I think we could safely get rid of all forms of genital alteration/mutilation done to children minus a religious exemption, perhaps for Jews who have this as part of their culture since the procedure in and of itself doesn't render a man unable to enjoy sex (as is the case with FGM). That might be a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies