Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should declawing cats be legal?
Yes, the cat is my property so I can do what I want with it. 40 36.36%
No. If you're that worried about your couch, don't get a cat. And if it's vicious, surrender the cat to the local ASPCA/pound 70 63.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My cat has her claws. I would not have her declawed.

But I voted YES anyway.

Some people want their cats declawed. I know several people like that. They might not have a cat otherwise. It is better that a cat is declawed and has a nice safe home then not have a home - and possible not even a life if it was not adopted.
To me that's like saying, "It's okay to mutilate that child's hands because some people don't want kids because of the mess that they leave behind, all the pulling that they do, and their hands are always sticky. It's better that the child be mutilated and given a nice, safe home than no adoption at all."

Yes, I am one of those people who puts animals and people on even playing fields when it comes to the abuse that we put them through because of excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
To me that's like saying, "It's okay to mutilate that child's hands because some people don't want kids because of the mess that they leave behind, all the pulling that they do, and their hands are always sticky. It's better that the child be mutilated and given a nice, safe home than no adoption at all."

Yes, I am one of those people who puts animals and people on even playing fields when it comes to the abuse that we put them through because of excuses.
Great analogy.

When my wife and I had our previous cats declawed we were completely ignorant. It didn't take long after they were declawed for us to realize our mistake. The kitties we rescued last year are happy we changed our ways. They just look funny with the caps on.

A lot of vets won't do it anymore. They have also realized how bad it affect the cats.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Without the ability to declaw, there will be a lot fewer cats adopted into homes.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Without the ability to declaw, there will be a lot fewer cats adopted into homes.
Agreed. I wonder if people would rather just have them euthanized.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I voted it should be outlawed. I haven't had a cat in a while but I certainly wouldn't have one declawed. Those that are, can never have a breath of fresh air because their owners can't let them outside - EVER. They are defenseless.

Plus, it seems terribly painful.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Thankfully this practice is frowned upon by most animal experts, but in this country, it is not illegal. In fact, over 20% of cats in the USA have been declawed.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Li...awing_bgnd.pdf

That source details all kinds of drawbacks and dangers of the practice. Spoiler alert: cats are prescribed FENTANYL to cope with the recovery.

And there are absolutely 0 benefits to the cat.

In several countries, declawing is outright banned.

What's your take?
We have long past that ever since we started to genetically modify their genes and cut off their balls/uterus.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Would we all like to have our fingernails removed? Might need some painkillers for that. Claws mean more to cats than fingernails do to us. They make some kind of caps you can attach to the claws so they aren't sharp. Or trim them.

Also, docking dogs tails and ears, I can't believe they still do it.
How about cutting off their balls and uterus? That's OK right?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I voted it should be outlawed. I haven't had a cat in a while but I certainly wouldn't have one declawed. Those that are, can never have a breath of fresh air because their owners can't let them outside - EVER. They are defenseless.

Plus, it seems terribly painful.
I used to live in a pretty rural area. Cats that got outside tended to get eaten by coyotes or foxes, regardless of whether or not they had claws. So what's your point?

My cats will live happier, healthier, longer lives indoors than they would have outside. Their littermates have all died by now--with the exception of one that is also an indoor cat.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
You can clip their claws, just like cutting your own fingernails. My daughter clips her cats claws regularly (of course these cats are "indoor" pets). They don't mind, and it takes care of the problem.

She cleans their ears, eyes, and washes their faces too.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:55 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
I've owned a number of cats during my adult life and I've not declawed any of them. I've also not had nice furniture when I had them. I personally know many people who have declawed their cats and I've house sat for these people with declawed cats. After the procedure, the cat does take some time to heal but apparently once they are healed, they have no problems or issues what so ever with no longer having claws. Only drawback is if the cat gets out, it basically doesn't have much of a defense system against threats from other animals. For that reason the people I know who have declawed their cat only do so with cats that are strictly indoor cats and go to great efforts to ensure that the cat never gets out.

For this reason, I don't think it's bad or should be illegal to declaw their cat. But if someone declaws their cat and then allows that cat to go outside, that's where it should be made illegal, for the safety of the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies