Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times

Advertisements

An interesting topic. From the linked article (which I couldn't read in full because its behind a paywall):

Quote:
Select high-volume shippers are able to drop off presorted packages at the local Postal Service depot for “last mile” delivery at cut-rate prices. With high volumes and warehouses near the local depots, Amazon enjoys low rates unavailable to its competitors.
It might be an "insider secret" to most, but the United States Post Office has always provided discounts for anyone willing to presort their deliverable letters and packages. Back in the early 1990's, the company I worked for sent a lot of mail through the local post office, something like ten million pieces a year. The local USPS, in order to lighten their own processing load, cut the company a per-piece discount of about 15% if we presorted the mail via a Zip Code algorithm that the Post Office itself used.

So it's not that there's some sort of collusion between the USPS and Amazon - it's just that Amazon's sheer size and expertise makes it easier for them to take advantage of these discounts.

As for why Amazon gets the discount and the Ebay seller doesn't - the Ebay seller isn't taking his package all the way to the recipient's post office for 'last mile delivery'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
So when you say the recipients post office do you mean that amazon, through some other method, ships packages to the post office that serves the zip code of the destination, then to PO takes it the rest of the way?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
should taxpayers be subsidizing jeff Bezos, soon to be the richest man in the world?
I can't get beyond the WSJ paywall.

I did find this WSJ article from 2002 describing the " postal injection" method of delivery employed by Amazon.
According to this, Amazon or independents employed by Amazon, deliver pre- sorted packages from Amazon warehouses to local postal depots and in doing so eliminate processing steps for the USPS, thus reducing USPS cost.

No one in 2002 could have predicted the transformation of retailing from brick and mortar to online shopping that occured over the past 15 years.

What is unknown is if the value of eliminated processing steps within the USPS balances the discount.

Amazon Prospers on the Web

Old 07-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Agreed.

Silly question: What does Amazon pay vs some guy with an Ebay store on an equivalent package?
How much does Amazon ship vs guy on EBay?

Does the eBay guy presort and deliver directly to a PO shipping depot or use his local PO or does the PO pick up from the eBay guy?

What is the cost value of eliminating several USPS processing steps vs the discount high volume shippers like Amazon recieve?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
You'll get additional information here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...delivers-in-it

They do save USPS money by doing the sorting themselves, so that's something that should be considered, but I'm sure beyond that they're getting a break because of the sheer volume of business they're giving them.

Without Amazon, who knows where the USPS might be today.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I can't get beyond the WSJ paywall.

I did find this WSJ article from 2002 describing the " postal injection" method of delivery employed by Amazon.
According to this, Amazon or independents employed by Amazon, deliver pre- sorted packages from Amazon warehouses to local postal depots and in doing so eliminate processing steps for the USPS, thus reducing USPS cost.

No one in 2002 could have predicted the transformation of retailing from brick and mortar to online shopping that occured over the past 15 years.

What is unknown is if the value of eliminated processing steps within the USPS balances the discount.

Amazon Prospers on the Web
If that's the case this may actually be a benefit for the USPS, that mailperson and truck are going to those destinations with or without Amazon deliveries.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
I'm pretty much done with Amazon now, I don't support mega retailers that gobble up or starve all of their competitors. Haven't shopped at Walmart since around 2002.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm pretty much done with Amazon now, I don't support mega retailers that gobble up or starve all of their competitors. Haven't shopped at Walmart since around 2002.
Scary thought. Walmart is small compared to Amazon.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
should taxpayers be subsidizing jeff Bezos, soon to be the richest man in the world?
It gives my local mail carriers overtime pay, so I couldn't care less.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
An interesting topic. From the linked article (which I couldn't read in full because its behind a paywall):

It might be an "insider secret" to most, but the United States Post Office has always provided discounts for anyone willing to presort their deliverable letters and packages. Back in the early 1990's, the company I worked for sent a lot of mail through the local post office, something like ten million pieces a year. The local USPS, in order to lighten their own processing load, cut the company a per-piece discount of about 15% if we presorted the mail via a Zip Code algorithm that the Post Office itself used.

So it's not that there's some sort of collusion between the USPS and Amazon - it's just that Amazon's sheer size and expertise makes it easier for them to take advantage of these discounts.

As for why Amazon gets the discount and the Ebay seller doesn't - the Ebay seller isn't taking his package all the way to the recipient's post office for 'last mile delivery'.
When I take packages to the PO for shipping I do so at my local PO and do not presort because I do not ship in volume. These packages are then picked - up by the USPS for downstream processing at a regional center and eventually transported to another center. Others rely on USPC to pick up packages from their doorstep. Both require USPC to execute steps and incur costs that they do not, for large online retailers who presort and deliver directly to the shipping depot, not local PO.

I DK the USPS cost of the processes eliminated by Amazon. Nor do I know what is costs Amazon to execute those processes, themselves. I assume Amazon can do it cheaper because they are not burdened with labor agreements, relatively rich benefits and funding pension plans, as is the USPS.

Amazon could use UPS or another private carrier instead of the USPS. In doing so, it would reduce USPS income and ability to fund their pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies