Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 AM

24,567 posts, read 17,315,057 times

Advertisements

Has anyone considered that Trump is not talking about clothing but talking about People?

As we know he is no fan of illegal aliens for good reason so maybe this is a ploy to celebrate the American people born and raised here?

I know I'm proud to be born in America and if Trump says so I will celebrate that I was "Made in America".
I guess my Irish born wife will have to sit this week out as will Melania....

Oh well.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I would hope that Donald and Ivanka Trump come out this week and declare that all their products will only come from America and not be manufactured elsewhere. To not do so would show them to be total hypocritices.
When asked for his position on a $15 Minimum Wage during the Fox News hosted debate, Trump said US wages and taxes were too high. The next day on Fox News, he denied saying wages are too high. He is the source of what he later claims is fake news.

US people spend considerably less of their income on clothing and leather goods now than they did 65 years ago when most stuff was made in the US. How likely would the masses pay substantially more for Made in The US? When was the last time the average person sent their shoes to the neighborhood shoemaker for new heels or fore replacement of soles? Who replaces collars and cuffs on shirts, anymore?

A skilled seamstress in the US commands multiples of federal Minimum Wage. Then there's employer Payroll Taxes, state Workmans Comp and UI and pesky federal laws that prevent child labor and compel OT pay when hours are greater than 40/week. It would also be necessary to heat and cool factories that would need to meet local and federal codes.

Unlike some other high profile importers, Trump Org does not inspect offshore factories it uses. Instead, Trump Org expects its sources to abide by the Trump Org code which they will not make public.

When clothing and leather good manufacturing was at peak in the US, it was executed by mostly relatively recent skilled immigrants who toiled in the factories.

If imports were taxed at a higher rate, US consumers would pay considerably more than they do today with the difference going into the federal government's coffers.

That this admin thought it a swell idea to announce Made in America week while continuing to import massive amounts of goods from lower cost countries is a " do as I say, not as I do" thing.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,791,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Dream on, see my post above. I support my President, my country and my fellow citizens. Too bad the libs can't do that, huh?

Also, many garment factories were closed in the US, the majority. What remains, for instance in CA, are sweat shops that use illegal aliens as labor, now if Trump used those, you'd be crying over that. https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-...my-theres-cost Paying below minimum wage and not paying overtime - gee, this kind of explains why CA loves those illegal aliens! Not a matter of compassion now is it: https://www.verite.org/wp-content/up...nt_Workers.pdf

So, if Trump were using sweat shops in the USA with illegal aliens paid less than minimum wage, not paid overtime.............
Deflect, deflect, deflect.

The simple fact is that Trump has never personally done anything to change this situation. He's part of the problem.

Now, I get that global trade makes bringing these kinds of jobs back to the US very difficult. But Trump doesn't talk about that either, does he? No, he feeds the fantasies in exchange for the votes from desperate people..

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,815,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Having 70,000 factories closing here and many of those factories are long gone. The garment district in NYC was a huge hub of manufacturing clothing. Long gone.

NJ where I grew up was filled with clothing factories. I worked in one in the summer months as a teen. Every single clothing factory closed. Globalists have killed off that industry here. Long gone. No one is a seamstress today. No clothing examiners. No sample makers. No one trained to work in that industry here. It is dead.
Brooks brothers makes it a point to make many of their garments here. So do others. Stop making excuses for the trumps.

My grandfather had a clothing factory in NY years ago. I worked in the industry as well, and the company I worked for made their clothing in NY and NJ. It can be done. If trump really wants to put his money where his mouth is, he and his daughter should move production here. Think of all the jobs it would create.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,482,037 times
Make China Great Again ?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,100,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
White House planning 'Made in America' week - ABC News
May be he wants us to support the American Products with whatever little or big way we can? I don't think there is much wrong with it.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Deflect, deflect, deflect.
That's all they know how to do.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,791,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
May be he wants us to support the American Products with whatever little or big way we can? I don't think there is much wrong with it.
And one of the ways we could do that is to have a big campaign, name names, and not buy foreign-made products - like Trump products.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Having 70,000 factories closing here and many of those factories are long gone. The garment district in NYC was a huge hub of manufacturing clothing. Long gone.

NJ where I grew up was filled with clothing factories. I worked in one in the summer months as a teen. Every single clothing factory closed. Globalists have killed off that industry here. Long gone. No one is a seamstress today. No clothing examiners. No sample makers. No one trained to work in that industry here. It is dead.
This link dated 1995, reports the peak of the textile industry as 1948 and 1973 for the apparel industry.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1995/08/art6full.pdf

It attributes the decline of employment in these sectors to automation and offshoring.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,530,908 times
I am sure your/our President Trump has bought China made products.
Now he is in a position to try to change something, thus more products being made in AMERICA.

You flaming liberal flies who like to create a pile of crap, so you land on it at any chance you can is a load of shiat.

At any time I can, I buy American.
It sure is hard though.
Try it.
Look at the tags.
Made in China is everywhere.

Thank you President Trump for attempting to change this!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies