Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:48 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There have always been the stupid around. And the stupid have been around in large numbers for many years. It don't think it's so much the stupid being outnumbered back then vs now. I think it's a matter of the stupid having use of things like social media. Stupidity has a voice. In earlier days(or as recent as the 1980s), the stupid knew when to shut up. Nowadays, the stupid can be as loud as they want and there is not a feeling of shame. Now, stupid sells. Stupid gets views on youtube and WSHH. Stupid gets reality shows such as the Kardashians. Kim Kardashian would have been just enough spoiled rotten "princess" if reality TV didn't exist.
Agreed. Stupidity is in.

This was a great Podcast: Waking Up with Sam Harris — #40 — Complexity & Stupidity: A Conversation with David Krakauer

They discuss the rise of stupidity, which is concomitant with the rise of ingenuity in civilization, and which has been accelerating as of late. In other words, our society more and more allows for stupidity to thrive and be accepted and nurtured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:50 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
We have 30 to 40 year old one story 1200 sq ft homes in the more desirable areas here selling for 1.5 million. There are also many people in the market here who have cash. Strong market with qualified buyers.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:16 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
It also isn't necessarily a stupid decision if rents are about equal with a mortgage payment and you plan to live in the home for a very long time .
Let's say prices don't come down for a couple years or so that's a lot of money spent on rent.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We have 30 to 40 year old one story 1200 sq ft homes in the more desirable areas here selling for 1.5 million. There are also many people in the market here who have cash. Strong market with qualified buyers.
You see this in the desirable parts of L.A too , mostly the Westside or areas close to the beach .
Santa Monica is actually over $2 million now for one of those modest little houses .

Even with a big decline those homes won't be affordable for the vast majority .

Old 07-19-2017, 11:37 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
I am looking at buying a home and can tell you people are getting stupid again. Prices are going up and its become a sellers market. People never learn.

Dr. Suess said it best; "You can't teach a Sneetch".

Old 07-19-2017, 11:37 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
The Chinese can buy my house for an investment. Nice little growing town, low crime, pay cash.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The Chinese can buy my house for an investment. Nice little growing town, low crime, pay cash.
You're kidding, of course - sort of.

But I remember back when the Japanese actually did that! Back in the early/mid 90's the Japanese economy was roaring. A Japanese executive even referred to America as "Japan's subcontractor"; I saw a young lady on TV who was outraged at America and reminded the TV audience that America worked for Japan.
And Japan DID buy real estate! Homes, golf courses, businesses........
And then the decades long recession hit Japan. Don't hear much from Japan these days.

There's a lesson, I guess....

Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The difference between when I was young and now is the stupid outnumber the smart.
I don't like the word stupid because it implies something about intelligence. Our average intelligence has not changed, cranium sizes have not changed; what has changed is the society that we live in no longer values knowledge, education and critical thinking. We no longer value thoughtful consideration or planning, we live in a fantasy world most of the time embellished by our fascination with electronic toys.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:13 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Agreed. Stupidity is in.

This was a great Podcast: Waking Up with Sam Harris — #40 — Complexity & Stupidity: A Conversation with David Krakauer

They discuss the rise of stupidity, which is concomitant with the rise of ingenuity in civilization, and which has been accelerating as of late. In other words, our society more and more allows for stupidity to thrive and be accepted and nurtured.
I am happy for the ingenuity that has risen in our society. It shows that the smart and innovative hasn't gone away. The intelligent, the smart, they are easy to find. The fruits of their labor are tangible and easy to spot.

Sadly, the stupid have used those fruits to prolong such stupidity. Being able to reach millions of people quickly is good for doing business. However, the stupid can use that advantage to advertise their own follies and lunacy. Look up "This is My Pee Pee". That video got over 6 million views. The person who did it isn't even a professional singer. Being a pervert gets you views, but being smart MIGHT get you that many views.

One thing to consider is this. Stupid sells. It always does. Stupid is more noticeable, and it provides entertainment. Think of it as bread and circus, with a difference. The rulers put on shows for the masses of the Roman Empire forget their squalor. Nowadays, the stupid are serving as court jesters to get attention and money from those who will pay for it, and primarily for kicks.

I will check out the pod cast a bit later.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
Home prices are going up as wages stay where they were 15 years ago. So again things set to create a bubble. We may not be there yet but we are on our way. The Tranch and sub prime are back. My financial friends are saying its all back but the NINJA loans. They can not be that far behind. I am seeing prices go up and wages not moving. Not buying we are in some return to the good old days.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/10/31/run-for-the-hills-sub-prime-mortgages-are-back/#7dad4de5698c
you are years behind the curve here, the bubbles are back long ago, must likely your location is just catching up. Remember RE goes in a bunch of bubbles.

there are hot spots across the globe, anywhere jobs are doing well RE is very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies