Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:00 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,771,109 times

Advertisements

Biologist Richard Dawkins, the world's most famous atheist, is smart enough to understand that, while Christians may be wrong about many things, Islam is just as wrong and far more dangerous. He is also courageous enough to say so publically, and this has left the one time darling of the left out of favor in the current year.

Quote:
Richard Dawkins was supposed to speak at this event in Berkeley on August 9: a talk about his new book, Science in the Soul: Selected Writings of a Passionate Atheist. As you see, the talk has been canceled.
Quote:
We regret to inform you that KPFA has canceled our event with Richard Dawkins. We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn’t
know he had offended and hurt – in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people.
KPFA does not endorse hurtful speech. While KPFA emphatically supports serious free speech, we do not support abusive speech. We apologize for not having had broader knowledge of Dawkins views much earlier.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress...am-on-twitter/

Richard Dawkins deplatformed in Berkeley - The Unz Review

Knock Christianity all you want, but don't you dare say anything that offends Muslims.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM

1,348 posts, read 793,457 times
"KPFA does not endorse hurtful speech. While KPFA emphatically supports serious free speech" -- how much do people pay to go to a university that makes such stupid and false statements? WAY TOO MUCH, I know that.

"Knock Christianity all you want, but don't you dare say anything that offends Muslims." --- That's right. And does this instance, combined with countless others, clearly indicate the writing on the wall? It does for me.

I'm not religious and have some pretty serious issues with Christianity also. But, the longer term scenario being intentionally shaped for this country means that kids being born right now are going to experience a VERY DIFFERENT America than has been the case since our founding. It will be more restrictive, controlled and, cute things like freedom? Ha, what a funny, antiquated concept.

To all those asleep or in denial: ignore the reality being shaped right now to your peril. Read the writing on the wall.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 AM

39,246 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Knock Christianity all you want, but don't you dare say anything that offends Muslims.
"They" need to be honest about it. They don't dare to say anything to offend Muslims. **** Christ, not a problem, that is art, how dare you challenge somebody's freedom of speech?! Drawing Muhammad, big no no, how dare you challenge somebody's freedom of religion?!. LOl That is bully mentality, nothing more.

Just like the cowards protesting in front of a VA hospital, they will never protest in front of an Army base or a Marine Corps base. Same mentality. Many bullies are also cowards on the inside.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-22-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,254 times
I never liked Richard Dawkins much. It was the video he posted of him opening hate mail. He's basically a seemingly smarter version of Milo Yiannopolous. He does very little good, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,771,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I never liked Richard Dawkins much. It was the video he posted of him opening hate mail. He's basically a seemingly smarter version of Milo Yiannopolous. He does very little good, as far as I'm concerned.
Dawkins' likability, or lack thereof, is hardly the issue here. The things he stands for; science, reason and rationality, are central to Western Civilization, and now he's being shut down by people who call themselves progressive because he offends Muslims. That's a problem, and not only for the credibility of progressives.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM

11,123 posts, read 7,188,359 times
It doesn't matter what Dawkin's thinks or what Islam stands for. Unless you want to lift either up on a high pedestal and relish them with high praise and worship, we shouldn't obsess over what either is about. Same goes for "the left" and whatever that means to you.

We don't need to send them "into the ring" to fight it out. Is this some kind of competition? Who's handing out the tickets and popcorn? Where's the panel of judges who will decide the official result? People have way too much time on their hands here.

Non-issue, non-story here. Have fun though battling over nonsense as you count away more minutes of your life...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-22-2017 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,596,399 times
Progressives have no credibility anymore. They're too afraid to offend Muslims because they get all stabby, but Dawkins and Maher have been saying stuff about Christians for years with no push back and now both are out of favor over comments about Muslims that are entirely consistent with their worldview.

Blame it on the intersectionality movement. The thing that cracks me up about intersectionality is seeing the LGBT community sticking up for people who believe they should be jailed or executed. Ditto for feminists who can't even understand that the hijab is a symbol of oppression. Freaking idiots, the lot of them.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,774,879 times
IMO, Dawkins is equally critical of all religions. I don't see how anyone can read or listen to him and not know that.

I am sorry that KPFA has done this.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,596,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It doesn't matter what Dawkin's thinks or what Islam stands for. Unless you want to lift either up on a high pedestal and relish them with high praise and worship, we shouldn't obsess over what either is about.

We certainly don't need to send both "into the ring" to fight it out. Is this some kind of competition? Who's handing out the tickets and popcorn? And what do we do with the win? People seem to have way too much time on their hands here.

I know I'm not going to waste any time considering what either are about. I know enough to put in quality time and thinking elsewhere. Non-issue, non-story here....
There is where you're wrong. This is not a non issue. The freedom to condemn religious practices is baked into our constitution. And progressives can't call themselves that if they align with a retrograde ideology.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,101,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The left turns on Richard Dawkins over Islam
The Borg hive mind rejects those who refuse to assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies