Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 03:39 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm not. It's what democrats do. That's why they started the KKK, fought to keep slavery, support affirmative action, and setting different standards for each race.

And when people on the right call for equal treatment of all races, the leftists label us racists.
It must be very difficult for you to live in the real world.

You know, the world where the party that called itself the "Democrats", 150 years ago was comprised of conservatives.

Or are you foolishly asserting that it was the "liberals" among us who refused to give up their slaves on their southern state plantations?

Clearly it really sticks in your craw that you are a party to slavery and thus the disconnected reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:41 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Typical CD: 99% of posters didn't even read the article yet just had to feel outraged over something. Maybe y'all missed this part too:

If they substitute probability and statistics for algebra I don't really see what the problem is. Does a sociology major really need to know how to transform a logarithmic graph or to describe the range and domain of a bijective function? Probably not. Understanding what goes into a binomial distribution, however, is probably more relevant.
I hear you and I did read that portion of the article; however, as noted by other posters we are talking about Intermediate Algebra...not advanced Calculus. This is a subject most people should grasp before they leave high school.

I agree Statistics is also worth learning but just because you won't use something later in life does not mean their is no value in learning it.

Does a STEM major benefit in the long-run by learning something of Art History or English Lit? I certainly think so.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
It's really not that hard to pass. I've seen idiots pass Algebra.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,946 times
Despite the deep suspicion that this OP is really about attacking California, liberals and even "people of color", it has actually provoked a fairly decent discussion.

It would be great to see everyone have a keen grasp of mathematics, but if the outcome of that requirement is more drop outs, it would appear counterproductive!

Old 07-25-2017, 04:10 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
While we're at it let's take a closer look at that pesky spelling and punctuation. Also reading is vastly overrated.
And don't even get me started on sentence structure.
A new manager at work... with a degree in "hospitality" can't spell. Anytime she is in charge of making the food item signs, it's a huge embarrassment. A senior manager expressed some concerns to the director about her spelling errors, the new manager's response... it's not important and she doesn't have time to look up the correct spellings on google.

So... "caramel" is spelled "carmel", "crab louis" was first spelled "crab pais", then "crab lius". "Corn soup" was "con soup". And "blackened zucchini" was "blacked zucchini".

She also don't know cooking terminology, and she's a hospitality major. There should be a spelling test for those applying for management positions. And I have no respect for that new manager and her sloppy thinking and casual approach to life. She even seems proud of her attitude for resisting self improvement.

And I have a math story. While taking a break from college, I was an assistant teacher for a program teaching and paying to learn unemployed people offset printing skills. And the teacher was trying to explain how to organize and print several smaller jobs on a larger sheet of paper. He realized that most of the students didn't understand fractions. He then showed them the relevance through using the small change in his pocket. However, the math lessons never stuck, even though once a week for eight weeks, he would work on their math skills.

Community colleges should still have a basic math class requirement. At least spend a few weeks showing and teaching the students the process. And IMO algebra does have relevance AND it can be taught in a way that show real life relevance. And since the human brain doesn't reach full development until the age of 25, the brain should be especially exercised and challenged in the early years with subjects like math. Logic and commonsense have to be taught, it's not innate. And memorizing the multiplication tables are important too, even though everyone has a calculator on their smartphone.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:12 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The so-called intermediate algebra is really just 13 year-old algebra in many countries. (Yes I was a math tutor in college.)
They have that in college only because many students did not learn anything in high school.
Bingo.

"Intermediate algebra" was once taught in 8th grade in the USA. But this is what we have in the high schools now. Take away the calculator and most these days can't even do simple math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRcLUQ5gwjM

I'd imagine that it's worse in California.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
A new manager at work... with a degree in "hospitality" can't spell. Anytime she is in charge of making the food item signs, it's a huge embarrassment. A senior manager expressed some concerns to the director about her spelling errors, the new manager's response... it's not important and she doesn't have time to look up the correct spellings on google.

So... "caramel" is spelled "carmel", "crab louis" was first spelled "crab pais", then "crab lius". "Corn soup" was "con soup". And "blackened zucchini" was "blacked zucchini".

She also don't know cooking terminology, and she's a hospitality major. There should be a spelling test for those applying for management positions. And I have no respect for that new manager and her sloppy thinking and casual approach to life. She even seems proud of her attitude for resisting self improvement.

And I have a math story. While taking a break from college, I was an assistant teacher for a program teaching and paying to learn unemployed people offset printing skills. And the teacher was trying to explain how to organize and print several smaller jobs on a larger sheet of paper. He realized that most of the students didn't understand fractions. He then showed them the relevance through using the small change in his pocket. However, the math lessons never stuck, even though once a week for eight weeks, he would work on their math skills.

Community colleges should still have a basic math class requirement. At least spend a few weeks showing and teaching the students the process. And IMO algebra does have relevance AND it can be taught in a way that show real life relevance. And since the human brain doesn't reach full development until the age of 25, the brain should be especially exercised and challenged in the early years with subjects like math. Logic and commonsense have to be taught, it's not innate. And memorizing the multiplication tables are important too, even though everyone has a calculator on their smartphone.
Great truths in your entire post! Especially the part I highlighted with bolded text!

Old 07-25-2017, 05:12 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,615,413 times
Algebra is not that hard.
Try calculus. Or for that matter 200 and up level calculus.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,138,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

My former boss and dear friend is the CIO of a rather large local company. He has won community awards for his IT prowess. He can't spell worth a chit. All of his memos went through me first.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
My former boss and dear friend is the CIO of a rather large local company. He has won community awards for his IT prowess. He can't spell worth a chit. All of his memos went through me first.
IT? And he doesn't know how to use spell check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies