Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 03:37 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,892,093 times

Advertisements

As long as the child expects the parent to pay for anything, they should expect the parent to have a say in it. If they don't want their parent to have the power of a veto then they need to find a way to fund it themselves. Any time you ask someone else to foot the bill, then you should expect the someone else to second guess the choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Is it necessarily wrong to tell your child in college you won't fund them if they take certain classes?

If you want them to attend class you must pay, out of pocket, for the campus reeducation class. $250
Mom I'm going to need you to work an extra shift if you want me to get educated and indoctrinated.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9413

Rutgers Requiring Freshman to Pay for Their Own Microaggression Training - Fox Nation

Now that you know that this info has been misrepresented, I hope that you will stop spreading it. My reply from the thread started on the topic:

"What poor reporting. I was all ready to be outraged about what is presented as $250 *for this specific training.* It's not. It's for the entire registration fee for orientation per link in second article:

"Student Registration for Orientation ($250):
Registration for Frosh Orientation is*now closed. The deadline was May 1, 2017." "

Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
As long as the child expects the parent to pay for anything, they should expect the parent to have a say in it. If they don't want their parent to have the power of a veto then they need to find a way to fund it themselves. Any time you ask someone else to foot the bill, then you should expect the someone else to second guess the choices.
I agree with this.

That said, I forsee your daughter going one of 2 ways:

1. Doing everything you want her to.
2. Cutting contact when she turns 18 due to not agreeing with your extreme political POVs..... then maybe paying her way towards a gender studies degree if you are saying this is the one degree you won't pay for.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
This is reasonable. Unless, it is used as a form of control. That can backfire badly.

I supported my son's choice of major, as it was his true passion, even though I did not think it was the best choice in terms of employment opportunities. When he was choosing a minor, I insisted on a strong backup plan. Turns out the combination is very strong and now his employer will pay for even more education.

Had I pushed him in a direction that was not for him, he may have dropped out or just hate his job.
Because he loved what he was doing, he took full advantage of college and is part now of a very strong career network.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I agree with this.

That said, I forsee your daughter going one of 2 ways:

1. Doing everything you want her to.
2. Cutting contact when she turns 18 due to not agreeing with your extreme political POVs..... then maybe paying her way towards a gender studies degree if you are saying this is the one degree you won't pay for.
I have observed a third alternative: a friend's child graduating, not wanting to pursue employment in the field that Daddy insisted on and having to go two more years to change majors.

It did work out though, but it was very costly. Two more years of college and two lost years of earnings!

Last edited by shaker281; 07-28-2017 at 04:12 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,680,461 times
Quote:
Now that you know that this info has been misrepresented, I hope that you will stop spreading it. My reply from the thread started on the topic:

"What poor reporting. I was all ready to be outraged about what is presented as $250 *for this specific training.* It's not. It's for the entire registration fee for orientation per link in second article:

Registration for Frosh Orientation is*now closed. The deadline was May 1, 2017." "
Its national news on cable. Your problem is with them not me. The class has to be attended in it entirety to be registered. That isn't misrepresenting anything.

Some people can read and comprehend and its up to them to decide for themselves.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:

Whaaaat? A conservative on City Data misrepresenting (or misunderstanding) an item and using it to promote their agenda? Unheard of!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its national news on cable. Your problem is with them not me. The class has to be attended in it entirety to be registered. That isn't misrepresenting anything.

Some people can read and comprehend and its up to them to decide for themselves.
Yet, the $250 is not for the course. It is the standard registration fee. The course IS a requirement, but it does not cost $250. You can sit there with earbuds and ignore all that nasty knowledge as you see fit!

That is the truth, no?

Old 07-28-2017, 04:12 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,742,885 times
Be happy they are even going to college. One of my kids is taking Political Science which I don't agree with but he needs to make his own decisions and mistakes.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 AM

9,527 posts, read 4,357,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
children need the freedom to learn what they want to learn.
No. They're children. As a parent, it's your job to guide them through their youth so they're equipped to handle real life. This requires making decisions the child won't like. Really, how can you possibly not know this?

I'm with the OP. I wouldn't pay for my child to listen to a bunch hate-filled extremist nonsense. How would you feel if your child asked you to pay for a college course that extolled the wonders of the KKK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies