Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times

Advertisements

If they had a government shutdown, they could decide to cut our healthcare to "make Americans feel uncomfortable" (Used from what Obama told his guys to do when they had the shutdown in 2013). It would end up being a bargaining chip to force the Republicans to fund other stuff. "If you don't fund our latest transgender/toxic-masculinity fighting, etc, project, then we'll kill the funding for healthcare for loads of Americans!" I can see it now.

BTW, that isn't such a farfetched fear. Recall how they were going to cut Medicaid funding to states or something if they dared defund Planned Butcherhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
We won't have a single payer health care system in this country anytime soon because both parties are bought off by insurance companies.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If they had a government shutdown, they could decide to cut our healthcare to "make Americans feel uncomfortable" (Used from what Obama told his guys to do when they had the shutdown in 2013). It would end up being a bargaining chip to force the Republicans to fund other stuff. "If you don't fund our latest transgender/toxic-masculinity fighting, etc, project, then we'll kill the funding for healthcare for loads of Americans!" I can see it now.

BTW, that isn't such a farfetched fear. Recall how they were going to cut Medicaid funding to states or something if they dared defund Planned Butcherhood?
Right wing paranoia.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
I've wondered about something slightly different. But everyone just tells me government is faultlessly benevolent and only wants to help.

an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
The Rs are going to pass this legislation tonight that absolutely everyone hates just so they can claim an accomplishment. Then they're trusting that Ryan will make it harder when it gets to the house. Of course the house could just pass it as is and of course trump will sign off on anything.

Quite the leadership in the GOP! Welcome to trumpcare for all!!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
The Reps just offered Dems a single payer option in this current bargaining session and they turned it down which surprised me.

If I were Queen, I'd offer a cheap catastrophic plan for things like major accident or major disease which would appeal to young people.

Health Savings Accounts, an option Trump wants which many people have at their jobs

Health co-ops like the one Hannity is always talking about with Dr. Josh Umbehr in Wichita which offers cheap concierge care

Buy insurance across state lines to price and option shop.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post

Defunding would require a vote, so in the event of a government shutdown... honestly, this sentence is too stupid to finish. No, this will not happen. You can't just defund things willy nilly. There's a process. That process rarely can be decided by one party alone.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I've wondered about something slightly different. But everyone just tells me government is faultlessly benevolent and only wants to help.

an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?
Our future HC limitations will always be based on our ability to provide for all the necessary care for all our people. i.e. enough med school and residency slots, trained docs, nurses, hospitals, labs, meds, medical equipment. NOT USD. USD are fiat and can be created if and when needed. National debt will not matter if our people are literally dying. We could even change our laws and create USD sans debt. Sure we will have more inflation, especially medically related. But our people will be healthy. Taxes will continue to be onerous but doable. No need for science fiction spying and citizen vaporization.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The Reps just offered Dems a single payer option in this current bargaining session and they turned it down which surprised me.

If I were Queen, I'd offer a cheap catastrophic plan for things like major accident or major disease which would appeal to young people.

Health Savings Accounts, an option Trump wants which many people have at their jobs

Health co-ops like the one Hannity is always talking about with Dr. Josh Umbehr in Wichita which offers cheap concierge care

Buy insurance across state lines to price and option shop.
If Bannon goes, then most of this odd ball stuff ends. Show over. Trumps a liberal and will give us some sort of UHC, public option or such, and then be famous and a winner forever and ever. The Pubs will have to justify this to their constituency, but so many Trumpers will realize how they will be better off, it will be win-win. The Dems will fall over and just die as a group all at once. They will no longer be needed. lol

Old 07-27-2017, 09:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
The Rs are going to pass this legislation tonight that absolutely everyone hates just so they can claim an accomplishment. Then they're trusting that Ryan will make it harder when it gets to the house. Of course the house could just pass it as is and of course trump will sign off on anything.

Quite the leadership in the GOP! Welcome to trumpcare for all!!
Single payer? HA!!!

This is the most cynical shameless display I've ever seen. Republicans absolutely detest their constituents and this whole game is disgusting. Americans should immediately remove health care coverage for Congress. That should happen tonight when they pass this ridiculous bill. They funded $1.6 Billion for a wall today that half of Texans do not want but they will pass anything that looks like it takes health coverage away from poor sick people. Just when it seems the Republican Party could not possibly get any lower, they manage to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies