Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,463,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
We won't have a single payer health care system in this country anytime soon because both parties are bought off by insurance companies.
This.

Although, if the majority of Americans want to have guaranteed health insurance, this is the only way it can be delivered imo along with the tax increases to pay for it.

The party that pushes it through and takes credit for it will be genius and it is inevitable imo, but both parties are too stupid to capitulate any time soon imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:23 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,289,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No need for science fiction spying and citizen vaporization.
Vaporization? Who said anything about that?

I'm talking about coercion and control. And the surveillance and data aggregation technologies of the next decades will likely resemble various speculative fiction. But I'm glad to hear your reassurance that single payer would never lead to the benevolent state abridging liberty. Phew.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 PM

18,874 posts, read 8,524,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

I'm talking about coercion and control. And the surveillance and data aggregation technologies of the next decades will likely resemble various speculative fiction. But I'm glad to hear your reassurance that single payer would never lead to the benevolent state abridging liberty. Phew.
When we the people understand our money and its public utility, they will then know they can have the HC they need. The money is not the problem so much as providing for the necessary future medical productivity.

We the EMR already.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,741,088 times
So, even the GOP majority cannot get their horrible bill to pass and rather than discussing what is actually going on right in front of their own eyes, Trump supporters make up fantasy scenarios, bolstered by such well thought out phrases as " Recall how they were going to cut Medicaid funding to states or something".

Newsflash: even your own party cannot get behind their own legislation, because it sucks!
Meanwhile you create scenarios in you mind

After 20+ million lose insurance coverage and even those with employer coverage get the shaft, the Trump will hit the fan, bigly! The sooner the GOP screws everybody, the sooner the backlash can begin.

Let's do it!

Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,741,088 times
Quote:

I'm certain you already view this as a "done deal" and it probably is. So, how exactly does witholding critical health care fit into your scenario? Dying broke in a unibomber shack wrapped in tin foil is a better alternative? "Liberty" is a joke when you lose your job at age 50, cannot afford health care premiums and contract some condition that wipes out everything you ever worked for.

If we are already on this road, why not go down it WITH access to health care?

Coercion comes in many forms. I wouldn't be putting up with many aspects of my employment, if I wasn't being "coerced" by keeping my insurance and paying my bills. I live on less than 50% of my income so that I can escape the "coercion" ASAP.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:26 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,566,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If they had a government shutdown, they could decide to cut our healthcare to "make Americans feel uncomfortable" (Used from what Obama told his guys to do when they had the shutdown in 2013). It would end up being a bargaining chip to force the Republicans to fund other stuff. "If you don't fund our latest transgender/toxic-masculinity fighting, etc, project, then we'll kill the funding for healthcare for loads of Americans!" I can see it now.

BTW, that isn't such a farfetched fear. Recall how they were going to cut Medicaid funding to states or something if they dared defund Planned Butcherhood?
What?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,602,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If they had a government shutdown, they could decide to cut our healthcare to "make Americans feel uncomfortable" (Used from what Obama told his guys to do when they had the shutdown in 2013). It would end up being a bargaining chip to force the Republicans to fund other stuff. "If you don't fund our latest transgender/toxic-masculinity fighting, etc, project, then we'll kill the funding for healthcare for loads of Americans!" I can see it now.

BTW, that isn't such a farfetched fear. Recall how they were going to cut Medicaid funding to states or something if they dared defund Planned Butcherhood?

Clean your glasses...

The only one threatening to cut off health care is tRump.

Trump: 'We'll let Obamacare fail' - CNNPolitics.com

He's very experienced at failure.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,630,975 times
Quote:
I've wondered about something slightly different. But everyone just tells me government is faultlessly benevolent and only wants to help.

an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?
Terrible model. Copays and deductibles are important gate keepers. Health care should not be free. It should be universally accessible and not bankrupting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Buy insurance across state lines to price and option shop.
Nothing prevents it now except states will not harmonize their HC laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Dying broke in a unibomber shack wrapped in tin foil is a better alternative? "Liberty" is a joke when you lose your job at age 50, cannot afford health care premiums and contract some condition that wipes out everything you ever worked for..
I know someone who capped his work policy. Worth ~$500K before his wife had a stroke of some kind and he had some gut thing. he is worth a negative number today. Near quote "What the hell am I supposed to do with a 700K hospital bill?"

The HC system in the country is criminal. Here is one perfectly legal criminal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Tauzin

Old 07-28-2017, 07:51 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Many people equate single payer and universal tax supported coverage. They are not the same. In fact, most countries with universal coverage do not have single payer. I don't like single payer, myself, though I do support tax funded universal access. We would be better served with multiple "payers" and choices.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM

18,874 posts, read 8,524,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many people equate single payer and universal tax supported coverage. They are not the same. In fact, most countries with universal coverage do not have single payer. I don't like single payer, myself, though I do support tax funded universal access. We would be better served with multiple "payers" and choices.
I agree. As a doc and as a patient. Choices on both sides. Most docs don't want the big stick of single payer in back of their head. Wages will be forced down as overbearing control gets progressively worse. Many docs want to choose the type of practice, patients and plans to attend to. Some go cash only. Or Concierge.

I think a public option + let the privates do as they may - is the way to go.

The public option could be a meld of Medicaid/Medicare. Means related/tested premiums, copays and deductibles. Takes all comers. Pre-existing, poor, disabled and the elderly.

The privates are then left with huge numbers of lower risk people, and some rich. For most younger, generally healthy working people/families this would be a very sensible route. Free markets will work much more typically there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies