Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:23 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Private sector unions have been legal and existed for many, many decades. However, now they are in great decline. Why?
Because, as all parasites do, they eventually kill their hosts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 04:29 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Because, as all parasites do, they eventually kill their hosts.
Yep, plus companies have realized they must pay competitive wages, and workers realize they don't need another huge tax in UNION DUES.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not a one of them wants to define "living wage" in its entirety.
I agree. What is a living wage? Enough for a single person to have a small apartment shared with a roommate or a single parent with 4 kids and a mortgage to pay in the suburbs?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Private sector unions have been legal and existed for many, many decades. However, now they are in great decline. Why?
Because there has been an increasing anti-working and middle class backlash since the 80s. Its not because they don't work. Its because they worked too well.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, no. Nice try Komrade.
How about instead of name calling you refute what he said with some facts? Links? Proof? Anything?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't have a business, just to give someone a job.
Uh, no successful companies have a business to give someone a job. They have it to make money. And if its a good business with smart owners, they grow and then NEED employees.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
I know that a living wage is important but personally I'd just be happy to have a regular job. You think minimum wage is bad? Try doing surveys and other online tasks as your job like I do. The one with the highest profit that I do pays a few cents a task and sometimes they are easy enough but many times it will tell me I did it wrong when I know damn well I put the reasonable answer. I always say people in sweat shops make more money than me. I remember when I did a lot of them hardcore and I would end up with probably about 10 dollars that day. This is without taxes too and I used to read every single question on a survey. Some of them would appear to take me through a whole survey despite being long winded and not pay me too because I didn't qualify.

So it should be changed to businesses that don't want to give people a chance..that don't even want to train anymore as they expect you to have a few years experience for entry level positions should be abolished. Of course that would eliminate a lot of businesses but I don't care because this country (if not this world) needs serious revamping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Uh, no successful companies have a business to give someone a job. They have it to make money. And if its a good business with smart owners, they grow and then NEED employees.
People who say businesses who don't owe someone a living are often the same people who frown on living on the dole. It's either one or the other unless you are advocating the person killing themselves which is obviously not appropriate.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:43 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Quote:
What is a living wage? How much??? You do know that ENTRY level jobs are not intended to support families, but as a stepping stone to better jobs? Right?
And WHERE are the better paying jobs?

All jobs in my area are minimum wage based. Except doctors lawyer and corporate owners, small or big business.

It's pretty bad when a cashier makes minimum ( in my state $9.70/hr) while management makes a whole $3 more. Management can get bonuses not open to the cashier if they squeeze every ounce of work out of the cashier to boost profits for the wealthy share holders. Cashiers can't even afford to buy stock, gone are days of company stock options available to ALL employees, like my father had.

Nursing used to be a good living wage, but they only make $14 for lpn, and some higher for RN.

Small business people take in $250k a year in profit and complain they can't afford insurance for workers and complain when minimum goes up a quarter an hour. " I'll have to cut hours, cut employees if it goes up that quarter and hour" they say. Gee, did it occur that your employees might be Happier if you paid the quarter and lost only $2k a year out of your high and mighty$250k.
Yes, I was business management curriculum in college. It's always about the bottom line for the wealthy and how much we can shaft the regular workers who actually make sure you DO get the $250k through good customer service.

All businessess would as someone said take further advantage if they didn't have to pay a minimum.
Businesses also came to realize in the Reaganomics era " hey, we ONLY have to pay minimum, not living wages".

And thus the squeezing began.

Only thing is now, there is no more money to squeeze out of regular folks, so now isolated annihilation begins. Let's get rid of the dead wood. Squeeze em till they bleed to death.

But where will the new money come from to support a 60 billion dollar lifestyle?

No, business should be mandated to pay living wages in an area they operate. And if it costs the Walton family some profits, so be it. They can't see they'd make MORE profit if they paid living wages.
Nor can other business people.

Maybe when all the peons are gone and they sit around going broke because they have no one to make money off, will they get it, but it won't happen in my life time.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I know that a living wage is important but personally I'd just be happy to have a regular job. You think minimum wage is bad? Try doing surveys and other online tasks as your job like I do. The one with the highest profit that I do pays a few cents a task and sometimes they are easy enough but many times it will tell me I did it wrong when I know damn well I put the reasonable answer. I always say people in sweat shops make more money than me. I remember when I did a lot of them hardcore and I would end up with probably about 10 dollars that day. This is without taxes too and I used to read every single question on a survey. Some of them would appear to take me through a whole survey despite being long winded and not pay me too because I didn't qualify.

So it should be changed to businesses that don't want to give people a chance..that don't even want to train anymore as they expect you to have a few years experience for entry level positions should be abolished. Of course that would eliminate a lot of businesses but I don't care because this country (if not this world) needs serious revamping.

People who say businesses who don't owe someone a living are often the same people who frown on living on the dole. It's either one or the other unless you are advocating the person killing themselves which is obviously not appropriate.
It sucks for you that for whatever reason you can't get a job, but a business is not a charity. They have to make money to be able to pay you. And they make this money by providing goods and services at a competitive price. A business will only pay you as much as they are able to stay competitive.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It sucks for you that for whatever reason you can't get a job, but a business is not a charity. They have to make money to be able to pay you. And they make this money by providing goods and services at a competitive price. A business will only pay you as much as they are able to stay competitive.
So are you saying that they don't make enough to give me any salary? These are often big box stores and I have seen enough times where the people that are working there aren't the best choice to say the least. Considering the fact that I have worked for way less and would be happy just to take minimum wage, they would make more money off me than anyone else. I'm not interested in being a manager or anything like that so I won't be asking for advancement or promotion. I also am not very holiday oriented so I tell them how I would work weekends and holidays. I'm not a morning person but I would also work mornings if I had to.
Someone at the temp agency did tell me that maybe I was too eager because I shouldn't say that I'd work for any pay. It doesn't make me look ambitious but if that's the case there seems to be no pleasing them. If I were to ask for a salary that doesn't show that I'm easy going but I will say "I will take whatever pay you're willing to give me". It's just a shame they would be so picky on wording because you would think they'd love someone like me.

Plus what they don't realize is I have stopped shopping at their stores as much since I have been rejected. Sooner or later I know unfortunately I will run out of stores to not go to but I almost never go to Petco anymore since I've tried for them so many times. On the other hand if they hired me not only would they get hard work from me I would be able to afford shopping at their store more so I'm giving back some of the money they just paid me. Win win. I'd tell them that if it made a difference.

Plus I only apply when they say they're hiring although they sometimes tell me that stores just say that but if that's the case don't advertise that you're hiring and we won't have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies