Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
So are you saying that they don't make enough to give me any salary? These are often big box stores and I have seen enough times where the people that are working there aren't the best choice to say the least. Considering the fact that I have worked for way less and would be happy just to take minimum wage, they would make more money off me than anyone else. I'm not interested in being a manager or anything like that so I won't be asking for advancement or promotion. I also am not very holiday oriented so I tell them how I would work weekends and holidays. I'm not a morning person but I would also work mornings if I had to.
Someone at the temp agency did tell me that maybe I was too eager because I shouldn't say that I'd work for any pay. It doesn't make me look ambitious but if that's the case there seems to be no pleasing them. If I were to ask for a salary that doesn't show that I'm easy going but I will say "I will take whatever pay you're willing to give me". It's just a shame they would be so picky on wording because you would think they'd love someone like me.

Plus what they don't realize is I have stopped shopping at their stores as much since I have been rejected. Sooner or later I know unfortunately I will run out of stores to not go to but I almost never go to Petco anymore since I've tried for them so many times. On the other hand if they hired me not only would they get hard work from me I would be able to afford shopping at their store more so I'm giving back some of the money they just paid me. Win win. I'd tell them that if it made a difference.

Plus I only apply when they say they're hiring although they sometimes tell me that stores just say that but if that's the case don't advertise that you're hiring and we won't have a problem.
I'm guessing that you are young. I don't know your skillset, but maybe customer service isn't where you should be looking. If you go looking for a job with the approach that you just need a job and will take whatever you can get, this throws up huge red flags to a potential employer. I'm the head of my discipline at my company and I'm responsible for hiring new employees. One of the key aspects that I look for in a potential employee is whether they truly have an interest in the work that we do. It's not enough to just want a job. We are looking for more than just a person to show up to work. When I interview someone I try to gauge their ability and willingness to move up within the company. Turnover is very costly for any business. We want someone who will stick around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I'm guessing that you are young. I don't know your skillset, but maybe customer service isn't where you should be looking. If you go looking for a job with the approach that you just need a job and will take whatever you can get, this throws up huge red flags to a potential employer. I'm the head of my discipline at my company and I'm responsible for hiring new employees. One of the key aspects that I look for in a potential employee is whether they truly have an interest in the work that we do. It's not enough to just want a job. We are looking for more than just a person to show up to work. When I interview someone I try to gauge their ability and willingness to move up within the company. Turnover is very costly for any business. We want someone who will stick around.
No I'm not very young though I wish I was. Well I only go for customer service because it's one of the few jobs that are supposed to be entry level.
I mean I will take whatever salary I can get and I refuse to work for free but I am selective on where I apply. I make sure it's a store I have at least some interest in. I won't apply for a grocery store or a restaurant for example. Once in a while I will apply for a store I'm not really passionate about and it probably shows but the coaches already think I'm not trying hard enough as it is (even though I know I couldn't try any harder) and I'm trying to cast my net a little wider since I have limited selection already with my abilities and interests. I also do apply more often for the stores I do have an interest in. I only tried for Target once since I knew they could see the lack of passion on my face but I tried Petco several times since I love animals.
If that's true then I'm not meant for any job because I'm not all that concerned about moving up. If you want to increase my salary that's great but I'm not asking for it and I could never do management period.
More than likely I will stick around and moreso than the other employees because they have the work history to be able to move to a new position but being unemployed for so long I would be afraid of not being able to get anything better especially with my degree being from a school that gets a bad rep so I'd rather not take that risk. However anyone who works there would leave eventually. Few people are going to work at a retail store forever so you shouldn't expect them to.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,613,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

In 1933, Franklin D. Roosevelt stated, “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”
He was a politician, so it matters little of what he said back then, but I do like the sentiment.

However, looking closely, even he's not saying everyone should be paid a living wage. Merely that businesses that depend on the existence of sub living wages should not continue in the country. In those days you had entire industries of promised "jobs" that were little more than terrible sales jobs 95% couldn't make money from, or piecemeal production that was inconsistent for ending income etc. Basically, making labor costs either overly variable or systematically creating poor.

I think that makes sense as well, especially today. If my business plan requires everyone I hire to make $10 an hour or I won't make money, I shouldn't even start up shop. By design, people taking those jobs are going to bounce to better jobs. So I'll never have stability. I'll never get that core competence and consistency. That's very different than bringing in some low paid roles to start people off and get them trained. Even the liberal Europeans often have a journeyman type role for a year that pays very little.

I know the news crews always love to go talk to someone that's been at a Burger King for 9 years and is making 50 cents more than minimum wage. If that store did that to everyone, would it still exist? Would it still succeed? How many people have moved up through the ranks?

At least half of the country lives paycheck to paycheck. When a job is lost, another is needed almost immediately. It would be wonderful if that new job turns out to be awesome, but if great low skilled jobs turnover every 10 years and terrible ones turnover every 3 months, the odds are not favorable.

So what happens when their ARE industries that rely on very low paid labor. The price of labor rises and innovation eliminates the labor. Because of free trade, that's generally done before the actual minimum wage has time to make the major push.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:34 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
And WHERE are the better paying jobs?

All jobs in my area are minimum wage based. Except doctors lawyer and corporate owners, small or big business.

It's pretty bad when a cashier makes minimum ( in my state $9.70/hr) while management makes a whole $3 more. Management can get bonuses not open to the cashier if they squeeze every ounce of work out of the cashier to boost profits for the wealthy share holders. Cashiers can't even afford to buy stock, gone are days of company stock options available to ALL employees, like my father had.

Nursing used to be a good living wage, but they only make $14 for lpn, and some higher for RN.

Small business people take in $250k a year in profit and complain they can't afford insurance for workers and complain when minimum goes up a quarter an hour. " I'll have to cut hours, cut employees if it goes up that quarter and hour" they say. Gee, did it occur that your employees might be Happier if you paid the quarter and lost only $2k a year out of your high and mighty$250k.
Yes, I was business management curriculum in college. It's always about the bottom line for the wealthy and how much we can shaft the regular workers who actually make sure you DO get the $250k through good customer service.

All businessess would as someone said take further advantage if they didn't have to pay a minimum.
Businesses also came to realize in the Reaganomics era " hey, we ONLY have to pay minimum, not living wages".

And thus the squeezing began.

Only thing is now, there is no more money to squeeze out of regular folks, so now isolated annihilation begins. Let's get rid of the dead wood. Squeeze em till they bleed to death.

But where will the new money come from to support a 60 billion dollar lifestyle?

No, business should be mandated to pay living wages in an area they operate. And if it costs the Walton family some profits, so be it. They can't see they'd make MORE profit if they paid living wages.
Nor can other business people.

Maybe when all the peons are gone and they sit around going broke because they have no one to make money off, will they get it, but it won't happen in my life time.

Every person can try to start up a business of their own. Take the risk and go for it. If you aren't happy working for someone else, then work for yourself. Stop demanding that businesses take care of you as if they were your parents.

The fact that you think that business owners take all their profit and pocket it is why you wouldn't make it as a business owner. Money has to be reinvested. Money has to be saved. The business owners are the ones taking the risk. They deserve the reward.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2 4 View Post
If somebody was earning a living by selling Ice Cream out of a push cart, would you pay more, much more, for your Good Humor, just so his business would pay him a "living wage", or would you just be a parasite?
Why would you have an ice cream cart, if you can't make a living wage out of it ? -what are they teaching at business school these days?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,386,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
There are tons of liberals who say "Businesses who won't pay a living wage shouldn't be in business".
That's a conservative position.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Well I sort of agree they shouldn't in a way. If you depend on illegals, foreign workers, mass immigration and outsourcing instead of facing domestic market forces for labor supply and demand, then the business is kind of a blood sucker and it's just as well they go out of business.
But, of course, the left loves illegal and mass immigration while at the same time bleating about income inequality. Major disconnect there.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 PM

32,093 posts, read 15,089,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Ahhh, yes. With right to starve laws, unions have to give non union members in a shop the same pay and benefits as members, but without collecting dues. This starves the union out, hence, hobbles them

https://youtu.be/2pbfkNI2d_A
We are a union family. The dues are nothing.....maybe $10 a paycheck if that. What we get in return is a $10 co pay for doctors and and a $2 or $8 for prescriptions. They pay 100 percent for our healthcare. Why in the world would you want to hobble unions. They still look out for the middle class when republicans don't.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
There are tons of liberals who say "Businesses who won't pay a living wage shouldn't be in business". I suggest them to run a business and pay a living wage. Their mouths shut really quick.

That sounds like circular reasoning: People who don't earn a living wage cannot run a business for lack of sufficient income.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
People should do lots of stuff, but since we are in a free country 'should' is optional.

In a truly free country, wages would be livable. In a country with unfree housing markets, housing shortages make low wages unlivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies