Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:09 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
There are tons of liberals who say "Businesses who won't pay a living wage shouldn't be in business". I suggest them to run a business and pay a living wage. Their mouths shut really quick.
Yep lol, I remember a thread where liberals were told to run their own business and pay what they like. Their answer was to complain they don't know how to run a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That sounds like circular reasoning: People who don't earn a living wage cannot run a business for lack of sufficient income.
Oh lookie here, the other excuse as if people who start businesses are loaded. You do realize that people borrow from banks RISKING everything to get the money to start a business.

pfft... you don't even know that much but think you know better than people who took that risk LOL

Old 07-29-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Companies in places like Germany do a better job on the whole at paying their workers a 'living wage'. I read an interesting article about it recently. In Germany, companies are less likely to be publicly traded than in the U.S and therefore they aren't beholden to shareholders. Additionally, the CEO's and 'people at the top' don't take as much of a cut/salary as they do over here, thereby increasing how much they are able to pay their 'people at the bottom'.

Obviously, this theory would not necessarily work in a Mom & Pop business scenario, but it does make sense for the large, profitable national companies.
living wage.. well for one, part of your wage is taken by paying taxes and of course your health care insurance. If you supported Obamacare you voted to giving more of your money to insurance companies. If you're working part time, well lets just say "your screwed".

It makes me laugh that the very people who support big government don't realize these basic things.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Interesting that most of the posters opposing a minimum wage, let alone a livable wage, seem to be well off enough not to be personally effected, except possibility, have to pay their employees more.
Well that could be for several reasons. They didn't have the attitude they were owed a job. They understood their is alot of competition for good paying jobs so they had to invest in themselves, learned a marketable skillset that everyone and their uncle or illegals could do. Or they took a RISK and started their own business. And they understand money and because of that they are smarter with money.

So which of the above profiles do you fit in?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm a broken record.

I freely admit this.

Other countries around the world have small businesses which pay living wages. Why can't the US?
Why? you've been told the answer to that already but because it comes from the right you automatically reject it.

But I'll repeat the answer... because they don't have to, it's that simple. When there are more people wanting a job than there are available jobs then it drives wages down. Would you say it's 1:1 ratio of people leaving to live in another country to people coming here to live?

Last edited by petch751; 07-29-2017 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm a broken record.

I freely admit this.

Other countries around the world have small businesses which pay living wages. Why can't the US?
Employees are an expense, typically the biggest expense. Your wage, then there is Health care insurance (oops there goes part of your pay), FICA taxes (oops there goes more of your pay). To employ you they have to employ people for payroll and collect and send taxes to government (tax collector).

This money isn't picked off a tree. Companies are always looking for ways to keep expenses down. So for those who believe in open borders, you should be asking who benefits the most from immigrations (legal and illegal) looking for work? Do you think you do? LOL, think again.

Think people!... it's not all about you.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I'm guessing that you are young. I don't know your skillset, but maybe customer service isn't where you should be looking. If you go looking for a job with the approach that you just need a job and will take whatever you can get, this throws up huge red flags to a potential employer. I'm the head of my discipline at my company and I'm responsible for hiring new employees. One of the key aspects that I look for in a potential employee is whether they truly have an interest in the work that we do. It's not enough to just want a job. We are looking for more than just a person to show up to work. When I interview someone I try to gauge their ability and willingness to move up within the company. Turnover is very costly for any business. We want someone who will stick around.
LOL I've seen advice similar to this many times. The job seeker is ALWAYS the one who is wrong no matter how they act, how they look for jobs, what they are willing to do etc. The problem today is that its not a job seekers market. So businesses and hiring personnel can put up as many road blocks and hoops as they wish and there's not a damn thing any of us can do about it.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why? you've been told the answer to that already but because it comes from the right you automatically reject it.

But I'll repeat the answer... because they don't have to, it's that simple. When there are more people wanting a job than there are available jobs then it drives wages down. Would you say it's 1:1 ratio of people leaving to live in another country to people coming here to live?
You're right. They don't have to. Know why? Because our government is more interested in helping corporations instead of the people.

If you are touting the America is so great, everyone wants to live here shtick, do it elsewhere. Many of the people who are coming here are not coming from places like Germany, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, etc.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Employees are an expense, typically the biggest expense. Your wage, then there is Health care insurance (oops there goes part of your pay), FICA taxes (oops there goes more of your pay). To employ you they have to employ people for payroll and collect and send taxes to government (tax collector).

This money isn't picked off a tree. Companies are always looking for ways to keep expenses down. So for those who believe in open borders, you should be asking who benefits the most from immigrations (legal and illegal) looking for work? Do you think you do? LOL, think again.

Think people!... it's not all about you.
Think people!

When we see other first world countries who can and do take care of the PEOPLE instead of CORPORATIONS yet insist that America can't do the same, we're in deep doo-doo.

Also, I don't know ANYONE who believes in open borders. Another non sequitur.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:03 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Don't think there are many liberals in the restaurant business.I ran the numbers on a hypothetical payroll with everyone at $15 hour and reduced the bottom line to almost "0"
Add some of the family leave and vacation benefits that people like Bernie Sanders are suggesting and the numbers showed a $185,000 loss.
Being mostly a seasonal business,we employ lots of tipped employees as well as many 14 and 15 year old bussers,runners and other jobs that don't require a lot of skill.......so we should pay $600 weekly to a 14 year old kid with a summer job that is frequently late,calls in sick (usually on sunny days) and spends more time checking their phone than checking on customers?
On the other hand,more skilled positions are at a premium due to supply and demand.Even fryer,saute,and prep cooks are earning $15 to $22 per hour in our market area.We tell our new hires that the more they learn,the more they'll make and we encourage them to learn a new station and a raise will be coming their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies