Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times

Advertisements

A lot of posts on CD in the last few minutes.

There were a lot of National Anthems being performed in the last few minutes.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
The best way to solve this is to stop playing it at every single game. Only play it at the Super Bowl. And while we are at it, change the National Anthem to America the Beautiful. It is a much more fitting tribute to our country than a war anthem.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Just don't tell the protesting players that kneeling is a sign of greater reverence than standing with one's hand on one's heart. Subjects kneel to their monarch. Slaves kneel to their master. These players are so ignorant they don't even realize what they are doing.
They are taking a knee to put light on a very old social issue that is not connected to football or the flag. They are not kneeling as subjects or slaves. They are not ignorant of what they're doing.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is NOT a free speech issue. The players are using their company's (team/NFL) logo, jerseys, venue, airtime, sponsors, fans' time, etc for their own, personal political statement. It is a code of conduct issue. I don't want to pay to watch political protests when I am trying to relax, and be entertained. Whether I attend the game, or not, I am still paying when I watch. We pay for cable, we buy the sponsor's products, and we give our valuable time.

The team owners, and the NFL should have nipped this in the bud. Now it is too late, and people are tuning out, and NFL revenue is declining, and will continue to decline if the protests persist. This is not a Trump issue. It happened prior to Trump, and it would happen no matter who is President. It is largely due to the MEDIA driven lie of oppression of minorities by law enforcement, and "Whitey".

I am giving it one more week, and if it continues, I am dropping out of any support for Pro Sports.
Yes, that will be the deal-breaker for the entire NFL, your "support" being integral to the world of sports and all...

Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I don't understand what the big deal is about athletes kneeling in protest during the national anthem. Kneeling is an example of peaceful demonstration and in no way infringes upon others standing and/or singing along. If players were actively being disruptive by chanting or otherwise interrupting the anthem, that would be an entirely different story, but just kneeling? I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Donald Trump, on the other hand, is making a fool of himself by wading into what is essentially an employment issue. It's beneath his office, but this is what he does whenever he's had a bad week. And Trump has had a truly awful week with Manafort, accusations of financial malfeasance by members of his administration, and yet another repeal effort falling apart. A more competent leader would be focused on de-escalating the situation in North Korea, but that's apparently above Trump's pay grade.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I disagree..I think it is the perfect solution..give the media and the pundits nothing to rant about..oh wait...I guess they will still rant--but the team is there to play football. That's it.

The Steelers just told everyone involved to go take a hike.

BTW..what delay of game..as long as they are on the field when the whistle blows..is legal.
Unbelievable !!! We agree for once. Who says people can't unite on commonsense solutions.

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Is the National Anthem political?

If yes, then singing the National Anthem in your work place is political
If no, then kneeling during the Anthem is not political
Really?!? Of course it's political. Especially now with the NFL retaliating against Trump.

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's up to their private employer and their union to decide what is allowed/not allowed while they are "on the clock". I thought the GOP supports private enterprise with less government intrusion. Now we have the leader of the US government trying to intrude on private enterprise by telling the NFL leaders to fire players. And he's trying to strong arm the NFL into doing this by calling on protests against the NFL. This is government attempting to intrude into private businesses.
I agree. But who defends our government businesses? Whoś the voice of the millions of workers in government jobs?

50 posts, read 31,019 times
Back in the day, NFL teams used to always stay in the locker room until after the anthem. The Steelers are choosing to do this today as a team. However, perhaps that is the solution. Go back to when teams stayed in the locker room until after the anthem. That is the perfect solution. No player will have the opportunity to kneel in front of thousands of people or millions of TV viewers. Players can stand or sit in the locker room without the publicity. Players won't be able to use the platform for political positions and the NFL won't mandate patriotism. However , the fans still will have the opportunity to experience the anthem along with service members. The only thing football players will have to do is play football. Everybody win.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,864 times
Wealthy brain damaged ignoramuses taking a knee isn’t “protesting”.
It’s simply behavior that is in poor taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies