Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,675,920 times

Advertisements

Anyone employed by a private entity can be fired if they do not comply with the rules of conduct.

Free speech and First amendment has no bearing on it.

I think the owners are wussies for not enforcing the contract terms the players agreed when they signed the contract.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,792,969 times
Default 97-year-old WWII vet goes viral after 'taking a knee' to support NFL players

Proof that age and veteran status doesn't make one automatically right or sensible.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/97-year...041427597.html

Quote:
Middlemas’ local paper caught up with him on Sunday to ask him about his newfound fame and why he decided to back NFL players when many others cite the sacrifice of American soldiers as one of the reasons players are “disrespecting” the flag.

Middlemas made no bones about his dislike of President Donald Trump, calling him “garbage mouthed."

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,309,523 times
And there you have it. When even our old heroes realize it you know what's up. And insulting this man may as well be insulting the ****ing flag.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM

51,679 posts, read 25,944,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Or it may backfire and have people that never watched sports before suddenly start in support of the kneeings. I already know some female associates who said they may have to start going to games now due to this, haha. One of them said she used to think all these guys were just dumb jocks but now see they have some depth.
I don't know that they will keep these new viewers and I suspect the ones who have turned off their TVs will be back by Super Bowl time.

To those who plan to boycott the sponsors, beer would be a good start.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 AM

20,841 posts, read 17,162,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your post exposes yourself.
Got nothing to hide man you?

16,344 posts, read 8,127,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Then tune in at the five minute mark.

Honest to Pete, this problem of being exposed to things you don't want to see is easily solved.
Sure, that's easy enough. But all the controversy is not easy to ignore and it has a cumulative negative effect on the game. Plus I'm a Washington Redskins fan and I've had this Redskins=racism crap shoved down my throat for many years now. So I'm not much inclined toward putting up with a lot of political crap when I just want to watch a dam ball game.

11,341 posts, read 11,094,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Try it in your workplace. Your boss can fire you if he doesn't like the ties you wear.
Just imagine if a blue collar worker showed up to work in his/her uniform, clocked in for work, and then spent the first 30 minutes of their shift in front of the establishment they work for shouting their political opinions to every customer that approached the business.

BYE-BYE job and income.

That IS the equivalent to what is happening here. These players get paid a handsome salary to entertain, not protest. They are welcome to do anything they wish on any other day of the week, or even after the game.

The ONLY reason Goodell and the owners are backing the players on this issue is because they want the highest performing talent on the field for their team to win. If the players do not have the support of the coaching staff, their on field efforts will diminish greatly. This behavior would NEVER be allowed in any other industry.

It's the same when these players get arrested or in other types of trouble. It is completely overlooked and they go right back to work. Maybe a one game suspension or small fine. Spoiled brats with an entitlement mentality. Not all, but many of them.

51,679 posts, read 25,944,012 times
Trump's tweets have nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with firing up his low-information, white supremacy base.

They are going to boycott football?

Quit buying beer and Ford pickups?

Get serious.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,713,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
In both cases it's about free speech. Should one being fired for having views out of the norm. I've seen this issue come up with University campuses. Now I'm seeing the same thing with football players. I've read threads of people outrage towards university professors being fired for having conservative views, but now some of these same people want the football players fired for also having political views if on the liberal side.
Its not a free speech issue. Trying to make it one is disingenuous. Its a respect issue.

People will not get respect for their issue by disrespecting other people. That is itself a lack of self respect.

If you have no self-respect you can't respect others. What value would you offer someone by giving the respect of one who is as lowly as you view yourself ?

Last edited by phma; 09-25-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 AM

27,725 posts, read 16,233,485 times
Another forest gump moment. The guy was probably pulling weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies