Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
That is nonsense and you know it.

Professional athletes always have a readied audience -- and you know it.

At a time when a bunch of females -- Kardash-whatever -- can get air time just for being a few ounces overweight, Kaepernick can get whatever message he want on Youtube, ESPN, MSNBC, etc -- and you know it.
so what you are saying is you want it done where YOU can avoid seeing it.

LOL, that's not how protest work.

That's like asking MLK to march at night in the woods so people wouldn't have to see it.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
fine, as long as they don't continue. I wonder if you libs think they accomplished anything except for acting like the spoiled brats they are? should Trump have done or said what he did? Not in the way he did it, but was he right in what he said? as far as I am concerned 100%
it will continue and you will continue to call them names like a juvenile.

who is the brat?

You can't handle seeing someone kneel while listening to the NA? Seriously, you are that sensitive?

You guys swear you love your country and the freedom but what you really love is being able to tell folks to do things YOUR way or else.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
it will continue and you will continue to call them names like a juvenile.

who is the brat?

You can't handle seeing someone kneel while listening to the NA? Seriously, you are that sensitive?

You guys swear you love your country and the freedom but what you really love is being able to tell folks to do things YOUR way or else.
Oh for heavens sake: yes, we love our country and yes, we were raised to respect the flag like we respect our church, our parents, our elders (well there are not many much older than me anymore) and respect authority. There have been discrimination, people of all levels mistreated in the past and it will continue. We are human. There isn't a one of us who has not suffered from discrimination is some form in the past and there is one of us who are totally unbiased. Not even you, though you often seem to think you are from your postings.

Do it your way or else, aren't you saying the same thing? I am simply saying respect the flag, I am not saying not to protest am I? I can handle seeing it, I still watch the games cause I love the sport, I just think it is wrong and yes, they are spoiled brats. We have a son who was a professional athlete for years. I certainly know how they act and most are spoiled. They are good people, but can be way too much about them selves, especially those who come from low income families and have never seen success before. So I don't think you are one to tell me about whether they are brats of not.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 AM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Football is football and very entertaining.
I don't agree with the kneeling protest just like I don't agree with the thugs, punks and wife beaters that seem to get carried along because they are good players.
The one exception is Michael Vick who went to prison for fighting dogs. He paid the price for his criminal activities and when he came out he still had skill so he was back on a team. Isn't that the American way? You pay a price then you are forgiven?

FOX choose not to air the anthem to give any more attention to the protesters and I think that was a good move.
Football is a game and they should keep politics out of it.
Trump this Trump that, when it comes to the NFL... I say we have more important things to worry about.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM

1,871 posts, read 647,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You can love your country yet be disappointed with certain aspects of it and work to have those aspects changed. It happens all the time on both the left and right. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
As I am a FIRST GENERATION immigrant, I probably understand this aspect of patriotism better than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I agree with the the free speech part. The owners could, and have the right to, shut them down. I'm glad they're not doing that.

The Steelers stayed off the field and that blew up in their face worse than kneeling did for other teams.
There are compromises where everyone loses a portion of what they want. That is not what is happening here.

I will tell you how old I am: I was there at literally the very first CNN broadcast. Not as a babe or toddler, but as a teenager old enough to be conscious of what is going on in the world.

Since then, I have witness the astounding evolution of media in ways our ancestors could never imagined. Side note, CNN was considered the Fox News of my day. Radical. Revolutionary. CNN got a lot of people either pressured to retired or fired at the 'Big Three'.

So no, I do not buy the argument that Kaepernick and his fellow players/protesters have lack of platforms to express their social outrage.

Just as Trump SHOULD have kept his mouth shut, these players/protesters COULD have taken their message outside the stadium. You really think BET is going to turn away a troupe of black professional NFL athletes eager to opine about Ferguson and the police ?

No one loses here by moving the message from one venue to another. But everyone stands to gain. The players gains respect from the fans by not inserting politics and social issues into a game where each of the fans paid a couple hundred dollars to attend. The social issue STILL gain visibility by way of another prominent speaker or speakers. The fans, just like the players, confined their opinions to outside of the stadium.

No one's freedom of speech is suppressed.

Last edited by Roderic; 10-03-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 AM

1,871 posts, read 647,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
so what you are saying is you want it done where YOU can avoid seeing it.

LOL, that's not how protest work.

That's like asking MLK to march at night in the woods so people wouldn't have to see it.
The flaw in your argument is that the majority of the audience per game is thru electronics means, not at the stadium. So I could 'avoid' seeing it, or potentially seeing it, no matter what.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:01 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heavens sake: yes, we love our country and yes, we were raised to respect the flag like we respect our church, our parents, our elders (well there are not many much older than me anymore) and respect authority.
The rest of us were raised with all of above AND respect our neighbors right to disagree, and respect their right to exercise their constitutional rights.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's what you're doing! You keep desperately grabbing at straws to make your case for your endless "Trump The Failure" posts.

The NFL is in decline. Has been for a few years. No end in sight. They haven't done themselves any favors and most people believe everyone should stand and show respect for the American flag.
No one has to "grasp at straws" to confirm that Trump is a failure. He provides daily examples that he is in way over his head. As far as ratings go, the NFL is still the most watched television in America. Even if ratings are down they are still number 1 amongst television viewers. And as week 4 shows, more people, not less, are tuning in.

And in other news, Trump still doesn't know what he is talking about.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
Despite having played football in high school, which was fun, I’ve rarely ever been able to force myself to care enough to bother keeping up with the NFL the way many do. I was a big NBA fan back when I was a teenager but outgrew it. I see it for what it is; bread and circus. Escapism.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's what you're doing! You keep desperately grabbing at straws to make your case for your endless "Trump The Failure" posts.

The NFL is in decline. Has been for a few years. No end in sight. They haven't done themselves any favors and most people believe everyone should stand and show respect for the American flag.
No, I provided the actual ratings to back it up. Ratings jumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies