Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

They need to leave race off the admission form.
It would be an interesting experiment to see what the demographics of elite privates and flagship state unis would look like.

I have a feeling it would not make most of the people on this thread feel warm and fuzzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It would be an interesting experiment to see what the demographics of elite privates and flagship state unis would look like.

I have a feeling it would not make most of the people on this thread feel warm and fuzzy.
I totally agree.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The focus needs to be at the K - 12 level. If the test score difference between most Black and Hispanic students is that great it's already too late by the time college comes around. If you separate out poor Whites from certain areas they are also hopelessly behind. People who are that far behind usually struggle in college anyway. There are people who had terrible home environments and thus didn't test high but thrive in a better environment, those people make me want to keep a reduced form of AA around in some form. But they are the exception, not the rule Govt can't solve everything but I do think we need to stop busing poor kids so far from home, localizing teaching methods and classroom structure, and promoting things that help IQ development like breast feeding and good nutrition and funds to contain lead and other pollutants that harm brain development.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The focus needs to be at the K - 12 level. If the test score difference between most Black and Hispanic students is that great it's already too late by the time college comes around. If you separate out poor Whites from certain areas they are also hopelessly behind. People who are that far behind usually struggle in college anyway. There are people who had terrible home environments and thus didn't test high but thrive in a better environment, those people make me want to keep a reduced form of AA around in some form. But they are the exception, not the rule Govt can't solve everything but I do think we need to stop busing poor kids so far from home, localizing teaching methods and classroom structure, and promoting things that help IQ development like breast feeding and good nutrition and funds to contain lead and other pollutants that harm brain development.
What you want to achieve starts in the home and with the parents.
Which is why it's next to impossible, because you can't legislate how to parent.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Hey, at least we didn't have to have academic standards lowered for us in order to be accepted, as you clearly did.
??? Your post makes no sense.

We can compare resumes and remember, you can claim standards for me must've been lowered, to help cope with your own failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not to step on your happy dance, but admissions doesn't mean graduation. The dropout rate of college students is significantly higher among black students than it is white students.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

I'm on my phone so I can't quote the parts of the article I would like, but it's a good read on this topic.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

It wouldn't be a problem for me if they took race off of the admission. What worries me are people who use tis issue as an opportunity to complain about Black people.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If certain demographic groups, in general, can't hack it at a community college, what makes you think they are qualified for a selective admissions 4-year college?
I didn't see any mention of 2 year program drop out. Where did you see that?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I see that you're quite obstinate after being informed several times that Oriental is an archaic term that isn't used to refer to people? Not surprised, really.
I mean China, Korea and Japan, maybe Vietnam and Cambodia. i.e., the Orient. Not Afghanistan, Yemen, Ceylon, etc. which are all parts of Asia but not the Orient. The Orient Express not withstanding.

Just because a word is archaic does not mean it isn't a word.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:41 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It wouldn't be a problem for me if they took race off of the admission. What worries me are people who use tis issue as an opportunity to complain about Black people.
That's really all it is.

Abby Fisher was the poster child for that.

46 students got in over her with less than stellar academic records. Over 90% of them were white. She didn't complain about them.

She complained about the 1 black person that got in.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That's really all it is.

Abby Fisher was the poster child for that.

46 students got in over her with less than stellar academic records. Over 90% of them were white. She didn't complain about them.

She complained about the 1 black person that got in.
I wonder what her C-D name is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies