Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The GM Baby issue
Yes science moves forward and this can help prevent suffering 26 56.52%
No this will lead to people wanting specific types of babies 8 17.39%
No we shouldn't play God and let children suffer from curable genetic conditions 4 8.70%
I am just unsure what to think. 9 19.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What if they identify the gay gene? Should they fix it?
It is a very good question.

Let's suppose, just suppose that a gene is identified and it can be switched.

I want to flip the question.

What if they find the heterosexual gene, should they fix it?

If a male child is more likely to have a higher income and better chance of supporting parents into their old age, wouldn't a gay male child be more likely to find another gay male as a partner and provide even better support?

Wouldn't corporations and governments prefer gay men over straight men since they are less likely to be absent from work to attend to sick children?

In countries with over population wouldn't there be an incentive to encourage people to have gay children who are less likely to reproduce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Anytime a doctor saves a life, he or she is playing God. Anytime a woman has successful IVF, she and her medical provider are playing God.

I understand the concerns with genetic modification, but playing God is nothing new for humans.

Also, if some radical person were to attempt to create a race of people with this technology, I'd think they'd attempt to breed people who weren't intelligent in order to control them.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I think that as a parent I'd have a hard time watching my kid struggle with *whatever* could have been fixed.

IMO not different that if I'd not had their leg fixed at age 4 if they broke it or other medical issues.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
"I am just unsure what to think"

For lack of the proper response, which goes something along the lines of.......

"I am thankful to GOD for the wisdom imparted to make such modifications, so the children do not have to suffer".

Have a nice day.

CN

Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Evil is also in the eye of the beholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Anytime a doctor saves a life, he or she is playing God. Anytime a woman has successful IVF, she and her medical provider are playing God.

I understand the concerns with genetic modification, but playing God is nothing new for humans.

Also, if some radical person were to attempt to create a race of people with this technology, I'd think they'd attempt to breed people who weren't intelligent in order to control them.
Certainly we've had leaders with no apparent scruples - they were willing to lay waste whole nations in order to get what they wanted - Hitler, Stalin, etc. With genetic modification, what's different is that changes to the germ line - that is, changes that can be inherited - continue until they (the carriers) die out without progeny or evolve naturally, or until they're edited out of the human genome. In that sense, this particular playing God could be eternal.

If a group were to create tailored people in this way, Why would they limit themselves to creating less intelligent people? If the point is to have unquestioningly loyal people, & as long as you're in the neighborhood anyway, Wouldn't you tweak for additional intelligence as well as strength & endurance & so on? Seems natural to me, if you want the biggest bang for your buck. & as for control, you could gene edit to get that too.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:42 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
We can either use knowledge or fall by the wayside.

If we start being able to change the DNA of adults, I'd get in line for it.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Only if they can create the X-Men. Then by all means, go for it.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:01 PM

Default There's a lot of work still to be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We can either use knowledge or fall by the wayside.

If we start being able to change the DNA of adults, I'd get in line for it.
Yah. See http://www.nature.com/news/chinese-s...mbryos-1.17378

"Serious obstacles

"The team injected 86 embryos and then waited 48 hours, enough time for the CRISPR/Cas9 system and the molecules that replace the missing DNA to act — and for the embryos to grow to about eight cells each. Of the 71 embryos that survived, 54 were genetically tested. This revealed that just 28 were successfully spliced, and that only a fraction of those contained the replacement genetic material. “If you want to do it in normal embryos, you need to be close to 100%,” Huang says. “That’s why we stopped. We still think it’s too immature.”

"His team also found a surprising number of ‘off-target’ mutations assumed to be introduced by the CRISPR/Cas9 complex acting on other parts of the genome. This effect is one of the main safety concerns surrounding germline gene editing because these unintended mutations could be harmful. The rates of such mutations were much higher than those observed in gene-editing studies of mouse embryos or human adult cells. And Huang notes that his team likely only detected a subset of the unintended mutations because their study looked only at a portion of the genome, known as the exome. “If we did the whole genome sequence, we would get many more,” he says."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

The mutation rate was much higher - even with partial data - than the results with mouse embryos & human adult cells had led the team to believe would occur. Clearly, these lines of research need a lot more work, & careful isolation from the World, until we understand & can absolutely control the proliferation of any mutations.

There is no known way to modify all the DNA of an adult - each cell contains a copy of the individual's genome. There are a lot of cells in an adult human, & no way to access them all & make sure all DNA is altered. It's just not in the cards, & I don't know that anyone is even looking @ the possibility of doing that.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah. See http://www.nature.com/news/chinese-s...mbryos-1.17378

"Serious obstacles

"The team injected 86 embryos and then waited 48 hours, enough time for the CRISPR/Cas9 system and the molecules that replace the missing DNA to act — and for the embryos to grow to about eight cells each. Of the 71 embryos that survived, 54 were genetically tested. This revealed that just 28 were successfully spliced, and that only a fraction of those contained the replacement genetic material. “If you want to do it in normal embryos, you need to be close to 100%,” Huang says. “That’s why we stopped. We still think it’s too immature.”

"His team also found a surprising number of ‘off-target’ mutations assumed to be introduced by the CRISPR/Cas9 complex acting on other parts of the genome. This effect is one of the main safety concerns surrounding germline gene editing because these unintended mutations could be harmful. The rates of such mutations were much higher than those observed in gene-editing studies of mouse embryos or human adult cells. And Huang notes that his team likely only detected a subset of the unintended mutations because their study looked only at a portion of the genome, known as the exome. “If we did the whole genome sequence, we would get many more,” he says."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

The mutation rate was much higher - even with partial data - than the results with mouse embryos & human adult cells had led the team to believe would occur. Clearly, these lines of research need a lot more work, & careful isolation from the World, until we understand & can absolutely control the proliferation of any mutations.

There is no known way to modify all the DNA of an adult - each cell contains a copy of the individual's genome. There are a lot of cells in an adult human, & no way to access them all & make sure all DNA is altered. It's just not in the cards, & I don't know that anyone is even looking @ the possibility of doing that.
Thank you for your update on this thread.

Certainly if "repairing" one part of the DNA leads to possible modifications of another section this technology has big problems.

Note I said IF.

I also looked for recent articles and found this one.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-to-hack-dna/

CRISPR is now being sold as a mail-order kit for just over $100 bucks. What I found disturbing was demonstration that the experiment worked was proof that E. Coli bacteria was now resistant to an antibiotic.

Making antibiotic resistant bacteria doesn't sound good to me. What stops a group from converting other bacteria into resistant strains that become a real problem.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Dancing on the point of a needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Thank you for your update on this thread.

Certainly if "repairing" one part of the DNA leads to possible modifications of another section this technology has big problems.

Note I said IF.

CRISPR is now being sold as a mail-order kit for just over $100 bucks. What I found disturbing was demonstration that the experiment worked was proof that E. Coli bacteria was now resistant to an antibiotic.

Making antibiotic resistant bacteria doesn't sound good to me. What stops a group from converting other bacteria into resistant strains that become a real problem.
No worries, it's good to keep up with the literature. & thanks for the cite, I'll read it.

Along these lines, you might look @ Soonish : emerging technologies that'll improve and/or ruin everything / Kelly and Zach Weinersmith, c2017, Penguin Press, 303.49 WEIN.

They look @ Synthetic Biology, Targeted Medicine & CRISPR-Cas9 specifically. (See MustReadNonFiction in the Books section, I reviewed & gave more information there.) It's a light-hearted look, but interesting information.

As to E. Coli - well, the bacteria are always evolving, & bacterial resistance to antibiotics has become a real problem in the World in the last 10 years. We're down to massive doses in shunts of antibiotics whose maximum dosages are nearly lethal in & of themselves. We need to get cracking on new antibiotics, or come up with new approaches to infection control, or both - & the sooner the better. It takes a long time to get antibiotics out of the lab, into animal/human tests, & then to market.

Last edited by southwest88; 11-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies