Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can universities and businesses discriminate? Or not?
Both universities and businesses can discriminate 8 42.11%
Neither universities nor businesses can discriminate 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,597 posts, read 16,568,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. Merit only.
Good for you, but which way did you vote ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because the first people to be left out in the cold are the mediocre white, domestic students who are already complaining.
Not true. We all know who would be left out in the cold the most. Both ACT and SAT publish test score results by race/ethnicity.

So, answer the poll question...

Can universities and businesses both discriminate? Or can neither universities nor businesses discriminate?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I posed the question. It's interesting to see the responses of those who didn't vote. So far, the city-data liberals who didn't vote but responded in this thread want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want universities to discriminate but insist businesses should not.
Your poll isnt open, so how do you know who voted which way or who voted at all ??????

also, you are either arguing that you are a hypocrite now, or that you were a hypocrite when talking about LGBT issues.

Which is it ?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your poll isnt open, so how do you know who voted which way or who voted at all ??????
Um... Yes, it is. Read the poll instructions.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Um... Yes, it is. Read the poll instructions.
By Open, I mean you do(your not going to say which way you voted) not know the participants, only the number who voted.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
By Open, I mean you do(your not going to say which way you voted) not know the participants, only the number who voted.
The poll respondents are listed for each vote option. Do you not know how to access that info?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
Quote:
Not true. We all know who would be left out in the cold the most. Both ACT and SAT publish test score results by race/ethnicity.

So, answer the poll question...

Can universities and businesses both discriminate? Or can neither universities nor businesses discriminate?
Our lowest acceptance rate is of Chinese nationals, and yet they still make up 20% of our incoming class. At my university, students of color's average test scores are closer to white students than white students are to domestic Asian students - and international Asian students are even higher. I'm not joking when I said that the whole class could be filled with students from China if it was based purely on merit (in this case, test scores).

But college admissions are holistic. Someone's test scores may be below our average, but they might have accomplished something great like started their own business, founded a nonprofit, be a star athlete, or be a top musician or ranked debater. We may accept someone with those credentials over someone with a 2400 SAT. Race may factor, but it's a small factor.

Does a university discriminate when it does not accept someone who did not graduate from high school? Or someone who only took 3 foreign language classes in high school? Or accepts someone based on their athletic abilities?

I've never been to a business that required my SAT score for limited entrance. The poll is comparing apples to baseball bats and lacks appropriate options.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Our lowest acceptance rate is of Chinese nationals, and yet they still make up 20% of our incoming class.
Exactly. That's race-based discrimination.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The poll respondents are listed for each vote option. Do you not know how to access that info?
Im on my phone, maybe the functionality wasnt there after I voted. But your premise is still false. As others have stated, there is a false equivalency that you are drawing.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Im on my phone, maybe the functionality wasnt there after I voted. But your premise is still false. As others have stated, there is a false equivalency that you are drawing.
Nope. They're both discrimination. Either it's allowed, or it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies