Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can universities and businesses discriminate? Or not?
Both universities and businesses can discriminate 8 42.11%
Neither universities nor businesses can discriminate 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Obviously, the OP was referencing affirmative action, which is legal and is not a form of discrimination.
How is race-based discrimination legal?

Race is a Protected Class under the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Quote:
Aside from academic performance, admissions officials take a myriad of factors into consideration when accepting students. including geography, writing sample, interview, personal accomplishments, hardships, and achievements.

If they did not, every Ivy, and other elite colleges would be filled with the sons and daughters of professionals and business professionals, who were coached in standardized test skills (SAT ACT) since 10th grade, are legacies and are not in need of financial aid.

Most would be graduates of prep schools or elite suburban school districts.

And yes, most would be white.

This is what the anti-affirmative action crowd seeks to return to - in college admission and in society in general. And, it is aberrant.
So... Discrimination is OK for universities but not OK for privately owned businesses?

You can't have it both ways. Either discrimination is OK for both, or neither.

Equal protections clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so like i said, you arent indifferent, you want college based discrimination.
I'm only for consistency. Either discrimination is OK for both universities and businesses, or it's OK for neither. Equal protections clause.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:28 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
If I'm a bleeding-heart, left-leaning, collective justice, slightly anti-capitalist, emotion-based pundit, I see nothing contradictory or wrong in the following:
  • forcing businesses of all sorts (probably even the Airbnb host and little old lady in my post early in the thread) using government force to serve everyone and anyone at all times (because business is kinda the enemy, screw money-grubbing business owners, regulation is always good, and, as Anita Sarkeesian said, "everything is sexist, racist, homophobic, bigoted, and you have to point it all out" so not only should we force this but we should actively try to push limits to try and find that one business here and there that deigns to discriminate)...

• having highly discriminatory practices at universities both public and private (as well as plenty of other places) so long as those practices are strictly benefiting people of color, LGBT, women, and other "oppressed" identity groups strictly at the expense of the diametrically opposed "oppressor" groups; lower standards, more aid and other money, quotas, programs, etc. -- these are all good, distributive justice methods that can be used to tear down the vile "meritocracy" idea pushed by alt-right extremists... but we can always do more...
I believe a lot of people out there see these as the only ethical / moral positions worth having. They see nothing inconsistent or irrational or problematic about holding both positions simultaneously. They may vary in how strongly they would push for each. My ex-GF, for example, would be a lukewarm purveyor of both of the above, while her niece who's just about to start her second year of college fits both of the above to a T.

So, in their minds, of course you can and should have it both of these ways. And you're a jack*ss if you don't think so.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But he isnt arguing either of those point, and was just fine with Discrimination of LGBT people. By trying to dumb this down into claiming both situations are equal, he is calling himself a hypocrite.
Yes. Sometimes I need to use the emoticons more. My statement, because of the way I framed it, is the important part. That is my way of getting to the point and not to focus on a misguided point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies