Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times

Advertisements

University of Georgia professor lets students choose their own grades for 'stress reduction'

Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

"A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned."

How will future employers vet these people if they have no idea whether or not the potential employee actually understands anything they studied?

How are these students that are so stressed out by their grade going to fair when they hit the rude awakening called real life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,281,385 times
I think there is definitely still a "point" to attending college. But there are some worrisome trends. In my opinion we shouldn't hide our heads or pretend there's nothing worth noting or being concerned about, but we also shouldn't give up hope and rashly declare there's no point anymore and it's just a cesspool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How are these students that are so stressed out by their grade going to fair when they hit the rude awakening called real life?
Unfortunately, my prediction is that the rude awakening will happen, over a period of decades, when real life is instead changed to suit the new people who will eventually subsume it.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think there is definitely still a "point" to attending college. But there are some worrisome trends. In my opinion we shouldn't hide our heads or pretend there's nothing worth noting or being concerned about, but we also shouldn't give up hope and rashly declare there's no point anymore and it's just a cesspool.Unfortunately, my prediction is that the rude awakening will happen, over a period of decades, when real life is instead changed to suit the new people who will eventually subsume it.
A distinct possibility, unfortunately.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM

This was another article from CR:

'Social justice warriors' are ruining engineering, prof warns

Quote:
Wichman claims that “engineering education” schools increasingly focus on concepts that are incompatible with the actual discipline, such as “empowering” students and “reimagining” engineering as a more “socially connected” field of study.

“For the record, engineers ‘empower’ themselves and, most important, other people, by inventing things,” he points out. “Those things are our agents of change.”

Witchman opined that social justice issues have “no place in a technical science-based education,” which he believes should function solely on the basis of merit and ability.

“The door to engineering is open to everyone, just as the floor of the basketball court is open to everyone, or applying to the [Navy] SEALS is open to everyone,” he argued.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:09 PM

35,738 posts, read 21,093,433 times
nah with super intelligent new immigrants ready to take over-- our college kids have to work the fields

Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,570,629 times
There are 3060 faculty members at the University of Georgia.

There are 2474 four year colleges and universities in the United States.

I think one professor at one university isn't going to make colleges irrelevant.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
There are 3060 faculty members at the University of Georgia.

There are 2474 four year colleges and universities in the United States.

I think one professor at one university isn't going to make colleges irrelevant.
If you've been paying attention, this college isn't the only place where this sort of thing is happening.

And let's not overlook the job market lowering standards to allow people to get jobs they currently aren't qualified for. But yeah, nothing to see here

Old 08-07-2017, 01:37 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If you've been paying attention, this college isn't the only place where this sort of thing is happening.

And let's not overlook the job market lowering standards to allow people to get jobs they currently aren't qualified for. But yeah, nothing to see here
Yes, nothing to see here. Go back to college and take a class on statistics - - you obviously missed that one.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:48 PM

817 posts, read 753,884 times
We still have the best universities, especially in California and New England. Of course you need college

Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
In my opinion we shouldn't hide our heads or pretend there's nothing worth noting or being concerned about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It is not one person. No, college is not irrelevant or pointless. Far from it. But that is not the same as no worrisome trends existing or nothing to be concerned about or aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies