Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Fascinating. What law threatens violence or incarceration for discriminating against protected classes by refusing to serve them in your business?
Every single law is backed by force. If it wasn't, you could just ignore it.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
They're not against selling the product. Their against endorsing a specific thing.
If they have an issue making wedding cakes, they should not offer them for sale. Making a cake is not endorsing anything, it is making a cake. If the shop offers a item or service then they should sell that item or service to anyone who wants to purchase that item or service.

I agree that if the couple want's a cake with obscene images or something then the baker can say that they don't offer that design. But if person A orders a white cake with flowers, and person B orders the same cake and is refused that should not be allowed.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Every single law is backed by force. If it wasn't, you could just ignore it.
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. None of the applicable laws here are enforceable with "violence" or incarceration.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course the government can have total control of a business that is public, because it's spelled p u b l i c. If it has those six letters, the government can control it because physics.

The insanity of people who feel that freedom is forfeit once you decide to open a store is beyond belief.
Call me crazy but it boggles my mind how some folks, well past childhood & the various developmental milestones, are not aware the feeling of perfect & limitless freedom that comes from solitary living, completely alone on a planet, ends with the awareness that one is not. Apparently or seemingly, sharing a planet with even one other person will shatter the illusion. How fragile for an aspiration, how meaningless.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
My daughter and DIL had their 1st Wedding Anniversary. We booked a table for 10 people in a restaurant to celebrate and put up balloons around the table. Did we tell the restaurant it was a Gay Marriage Anniversary? Of course not, anymore than we told the restaurant when we had a Funeral Luncheon.

Mixed number of men and women at that party table. Who is married TO WHO? lol We demand to see the marriage licenses of everyone to determine if the anniversary couple is gay? Absurd. Should a restaurant be able to throw all of us out? Should they be able to demand what the occasion is for all customers? None of your business.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Call me crazy but it boggles my mind how some folks, well past childhood & the various developmental milestones, are not aware the feeling of perfect & limitless freedom that comes from solitary living, completely alone on a planet, ends with the awareness that one is not. Apparently or seemingly, sharing a planet with even one other person will shatter the illusion. How fragile for an aspiration, how meaningless.
So, because there are other people, someone else should decide what you're allowed to say or even not do?

You must really admire the NK society.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter and DIL had their 1st Wedding Anniversary. We booked a table for 10 people in a restaurant to celebrate and put up balloons around the table. Did we tell the restaurant it was a Gay Marriage Anniversary? Of course not, anymore than we told the restaurant when we had a Funeral Luncheon.

Mixed number of men and women at that party table. Who is married TO WHO? lol We demand to see the marriage licenses of everyone to determine if the anniversary couple is gay? Absurd. Should a restaurant be able to throw all of us out? Should they be able to demand what the occasion is for all customers? None of your business.
As long as it's their property, yes.

Now, if you had signed some sort of contract with them for the event, they would need to liable for damages.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. None of the applicable laws here are enforceable with "violence" or incarceration.
Alright if that's the case, businesses can just ignore the law and it's completely pointless to have it...so what are we even discussing it for? It'll have no effect either way.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:27 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, because there are other people, someone else should decide what you're allowed to say or even not do?

You must really admire the NK society.
You must really enjoy drama? Frankly, my life is exciting enough as it is, & frankly, sometimes a tad more than I'd prefer, not looking to create 'drama' where there is, in fact, none. Besides, I live in NY, if I was looking for drama, or a fight, or whatever, I could easily 'locate'. No thank you, Sir.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Who thinks that?

(Besides the drama queens for the first)
Did you say drama queen?
Christian Bakers Refusing Gay Wedding Cake Appeal Guilty Verdict
Quote:
The court sentenced the Christian couple to a fine of $135,000 for the “emotional damage” they had allegedly caused the lesbian pair. Rachel Cryer-Bowman and Laurel Bowman-Cryer had accused the Kleins of “mental rape,” adding that they had suffered a “loss of appetite” and “impaired digestion” from the ordeal, which remarkably led to simultaneous “weight gain.”
"mental rape" lol oh poor queens. They could and should have just taken their business elsewhere.
As far as the contention that there was no violence involved in holding the bakers accountable , tell us what would have happened had they refused to pay the 135,000 fine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies